My Initial Thoughts On The Deus 2 Nugget Hunting In Mineralized Ground

abenson

10 hours ago, abenson said:

Very impressed even with the 11" coil but it's cumbersome around all the rocks and brush. I really hope they make a 5x10 because even a 9 won't cut it.

Great report. Sounds like a good gold VLF, but so was the Deus 1 for that matter. Multi done right can make things better, as Equinox proved. But as you note coils are the D2 Achilles Heel… for now. That said, I’m so used to running an 11” round on both the Equinox and GPX 6000, that a 9” round will seem like a small coil, and I think will do just fine overall for nugget detecting, except in the tightest locations.

18 hours ago, abenson said:

I really hope they make a 5x10 because even a 9 won't cut it.

Yep.  I think it's worth the trip by XP to provide this form factor coil for D2, even if they can't find a way to make that small coil dive rated because of coil internal space limitations that might preclude using a sealed battery internal to the coil.

Hunted another 8 hours today. Used the Deus 2 for about 4 of that. This particular area was loaded with hot rocks. Parts of this area the hot rocks were literally every 6 inches. Lots of magnetite too. The Deus 2 was constantly going off and I had to watch the target ID. The Nox was doing the same when ran horseshoe on.

On the Nox you can notch out the low VDI's like -6 through -9 it makes for a very choppy audio but on the Deus 2 there's nothing you can do that I can think of to get rid of them. Maybe use some IAR but unfortunately I didn't try that. If you could notch out 0 it would probably work but disc in Goldfield doesn't work like that.

I've got some video I'll post next week that will show how the Deus 2 works in the area.

Very interesting report!