Iron Iron Everywhere. So It Says

Croc

New to this so hello everyone😁

On my Nox 800 I detect in field 2 iron bias f1. Sensitivity 23  I detect with discrimination on until I find a target  of jumpy I hit horseshoe to see if it registers iron trouble is it does everywhere with every swing even away from target it's done this since I've had detector (6 months)on every field. I nearly didn't dig a silver coin yesterday makes me wonder how many good things I've not dug. Hope someone can help.

Thanks Croc

3 hours ago, Croc said:

New to this so hello everyone😁

On my Nox 800 I detect in field 2 iron bias f1. Sensitivity 23  I detect with discrimination on until I find a target  of jumpy I hit horseshoe to see if it registers iron trouble is it does everywhere with every swing even away from target it's done this since I've had detector (6 months)on every field. I nearly didn't dig a silver coin yesterday makes me wonder how many good things I've not dug. Hope someone can help.

Thanks Croc

Hey Croc,

Welcome! Not so sure I'm new anymore, but I've been using an Equinox 600 for a year now. A lot.

First off you're always going to wonder how much you have missed. 😀

Your post is kinda confusing, but I'm sure we can sort it out with you.

There is no iron bias F1, it is either FE or F2 mode, which number are you setting it to, or are you using the default setting?

Context is everything, what sort of place are you hunting? Field, home site, beach, yard?

I almost always hunt with the horse shoe on (all metal) as I believe the Equinox clips signals with discrimination on. I used to use field 2 50 tones a lot, but switched to Park 1 5 tones, I find it a bit less confusing, and it is also the deepest setting on the machine.

Even in field stubble I can run sensitivity very high now, as long as there's no EMI and I get ground balance right. Since I got better at ground balancing I've had far less extra noise.

Welcome, Croc!

Have you done a (auto) ground balance?  As the coil moves toward or away from the ground, even a small amount, the ground can be heard if the detector is out of ground balance.  This doesn't necessarily happen in every environment and similutaneous multi-frequency (SMF) detectors such as the Equinox are more forgiving since they can do some ground balancing internally by comparing responses at different requencies.  But there's a ground balance function on the Equinox for a reason (and it's not for a placebo effect 😁).  Your ground may be tough enough that a ground balance is needed for quiet operation.

Good advice so far. You need to determine if you are hearing ground noise or actually iron. It can be a bit confusing in highly mineralized ground.

Strick 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all .

I'm in FE set at 1 

I do ground balance but it's hard to find a clear spot when you can hear iron everywhere. I detect mostly on pasture land . What is meant by ground noise? It does read -2 ,-3 etc

Switch over to F2 instead of FE. I run F2 at 3 or max on the 600, but I don't have mineralized soil, and I know what to expect in my fields. Some would not recommend so high a setting, and I use F2=0 on the beach until I find I'm digging too many bottle caps. F2 attempts to eliminate big iron falsing so I don't dig lots of it.

Your soil could have iron content. You may have to dig anything that gives you a constant positive in at least one direction. You are checking iffy signals at a 45-90 degree angle right?

High sensitivity often causes the detector to detect ground height, you'll notice it especially when swinging over tire tracks or furrows. You'll probably do better with sensitivity at 21. Hopefully not much less than that.