White's MX Sport - Sweet Home, We Have A Problem

21 minutes ago, ElectronicAdventures said:

I know it was mentioned here, but someone suggests running it in 2 tone mode, VCO off, Prospecting. Sounds logical. 20 tones would not only drive me nuts from an audio standpoint, but for any mobile microprocessor to 'think' fast enough to produce 20 distinct tones and assess a metals conductivity, etc. would be challenging

First off, welcome to the forum. Lots of first time posters showing up.

The irony of the assertion above is multi tone is old technology and White's perfected it long ago. I have used it on both the DFX and V3i and there are some like myself that consider full tone detecting a secret weapon - precisely because many people won't use it enough to learn it. Deus owners are waking up to the benefits of full tones, but savvy White's operators have known about this for a long time. And in the case of the DFX and V3i we are talking over four times as many tones as the MXS so obviously processing speed is not the issue.

It is an area I am not only very familiar with but expected the MXS to excel in precisely because it is new with a faster processor. The hope for me is that it would replace my DFX as the machine driving my Bigfoot coil, and I employ full tones on my DFX when using the Bigfoot. I saw instantly the issue described. I also, before posting, was wise enough to consult with trusted people privately to make sure my unit is not an isolated instance. I did not shoot from the hip at all on this.

Great discussion, thank you one and all for keeping it civil and open.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few updates before the rest of the crew rolls into the office this morning. I got to test both the lil D and the 10" D with the updated firmware last night. Will take it out this weekend to an old barn/homesite that I call "NAIL CITY." We still need to test it as it might be too fast for some people (i.e. newbies) and speed can sometimes kill depth. With the feedback on depth we've been getting from customers, we don't want to sacrifice the MX Sport's depth since it's really good right now.

Mini DD - Speed is excellent, recovery time in coin/jewelry mode is unfair. I can't swing the detector fast enough to get any smearing with coins placed 2" apart. And I was whipping that thing over 7 coins with 7 tones singing out.

10" DD- Speed is good, not as fast as the mini but that is to be expected. Target separation is much improved but not as fast as the smaller coil. Still way better than before. If you hunt trashy areas you are likely going to use a smaller coil anyways, so for general purpose hunting it's awesome, though maybe a tad too fast for some.

Somebody mentioned a recall. I don't speak for the whole company here, like I said, I'm just a regular Joe who works at White's and loves the hobby. We've gotten overwhelmingly positive feedback from people who've bought the MX Sport. Maybe it's the way they use it, or where they hunt, but the theme of the feedback has been that the MX Sport "locks on to deep coins." Which could be the source of what a few of you in this thread have a problem with. I'm not sure why we would rip it out of their hands if most people who bought an MX Sport are happy with what they have and are experiencing success on their hunts.

People who only use the MX Sport in trashy areas are going to want their firmware updated and a smaller coil. That's a given. But if a company contacted me and said "GIVE US YOUR MACHINE BACK, SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE IT!" when I was happy with that machine...? I'd tell them they can pry it from my cold dead hands. I think a better option is a lot simpler. You aren't happy with it? Send it back. We'll take care of it for you. But I'll run this by my bosses either today or Monday when we have our meeting.

Either way, it's YOU, the customers who are most important. That's why I'm here.

What is the process for those users that are returning their machines. How do they acquire the return shipping documents? Being this is an admitted Whites problem then let those folks know how to obtain the two way shipping stickers so that those loyal customers are not out of pocket because of a factory caused problem with a unit that is less than a month old?  

11 minutes ago, tboykin said:

Just a few updates before the rest of the crew rolls into the office this morning. I got to test both the lil D and the 10" D with the updated firmware last night. Will take it out this weekend to an old barn/homesite that I call "NAIL CITY." We still need to test it as it might be too fast for some people (i.e. newbies) and speed can sometimes kill depth. With the feedback on depth we've been getting from customers, we don't want to sacrifice the MX Sport's depth since it's really good right now.

Mini DD - Speed is excellent, recovery time in coin/jewelry mode is unfair. I can't swing the detector fast enough to get any smearing with coins placed 2" apart. And I was whipping that thing over 7 coins with 7 tones singing out.

10" DD- Speed is good, not as fast as the mini but that is to be expected. Target separation is much improved but not as fast as the smaller coil. Still way better than before. If you hunt trashy areas you are likely going to use a smaller coil anyways, so for general purpose hunting it's awesome, though maybe a tad too fast for some.

Somebody mentioned a recall. I don't speak for the whole company here, like I said, I'm just a regular Joe who works at White's and loves the hobby. We've gotten overwhelmingly positive feedback from people who've bought the MX Sport. Maybe it's the way they use it, or where they hunt, but the theme of the feedback has been that the MX Sport "locks on to deep coins." Which could be the source of what a few of you in this thread have a problem with. I'm not sure why we would rip it out of their hands if most people who bought an MX Sport are happy with what they have and are experiencing success on their hunts.

People who only use the MX Sport in trashy areas are going to want their firmware updated and a smaller coil. That's a given. But if a company contacted me and said "GIVE US YOUR MACHINE BACK, SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE IT!" when I was happy with that machine...? I'd tell them they can pry it from my cold dead hands. I think a better option is a lot simpler. You aren't happy with it? Send it back. We'll take care of it for you. But I'll run this by my bosses either today or Monday when we have our meeting.

Either way, it's YOU, the customers who are most important. That's why I'm here.

ok, maybe a public statement from whites giving everyone the OPTION of returning their units for the update would be in order? It could be posted on all the forums for all to see and have that choice. I wouldnt think of buying a machine that wasnt updated personally. What about all the current stock at dealers/distributors? Is that going to be allowed to just go ahead and enter the market?

I guess the biggest question is who is going to be footing the bill for shipping back to whites if they arent happy with their unit?

Hi tboykin

White's is a old detector company and a great one that has been around for a long time. I've had a White's detector in my hands from mid 60's.  This is a problem that can be fixed but not for all of us over night.

Just sit back and give them time to form a plan of action. The only thing I don't understand is how we here are the only people having trouble. If I was to go coin hunting now I'll take a detector I know and trust. Just on the air test it won't be MXS.

You're right on a small coil in high trash area but some may want to fight it. Sometimes it takes a lazy man to find a easy way of doing things.:wub: haha

Chuck

20 minutes ago, SavingThePast said:

What about all the current stock at dealers/distributors? Is that going to be allowed to just go ahead and enter the market?

I guess the biggest question is who is going to be footing the bill for shipping back to whites if they arent happy with their unit?

Current stock at dealers/distributors is LOW or non-existent. We're in the process of filling back orders so everything that goes out from the factory will have the updated firmware. Will update you later after we discuss shipping options.

3 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Hi tboykin

White's is a old detector company and a great one that has been around for a long time. I've had a White's detector in my hands from mid 60's.  This is a problem that can be fixed but not for all of us over night.

Just sit back and give them time to form a plan of action. The only thing I don't understand is how we here are the only people having trouble. If I was to go coin hunting now I'll take a detector I know and trust. Just on the air test it won't be MXS.

You're right on a small coil in high trash area but some may want to fight it. Sometimes it takes a lazy man to find a easy way of doing things.:wub: haha

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I believe in honesty and personal responsibility. From what I've seen in my few months here - White's does too.

One thing I know from working with electronics (specifically audio gear/guitar amps, etc) is that what some people don't like others will see as a feature. So I think people who really need every millisecond of response time for target separation will notice the tone smearing more than someone who just wants to go find coins in a place that doesn't resemble a subterranean garbage dump. The targets have to be pretty close (like 2" with the stock coil) to replicate the problem with the old firmware. And the fact that the audio "locks on" has been helping people find deeper targets. Really don't want to take detectors away from people who are satisfied with the performance.

I talked with my boss in the middle of writing this- we'll be providing return labels for anyone who'd like their machine updated. So it seems like the old White's Electronics hospitality is still alive and well. Will post the info as I get it.

Tboykin, Get Steves address and give it to your boss and get one of the new and improved units (with return shipping labels) in an over night box so he can get yet another review started. He can use the box to put his in and have it on the way back to where it was made.

If you want to call this a funny thing well it is to me. I just got my detector this Tuesday of this week and done the air yesterday. I did complete the warranty card but haven't mail it yet. My detector was drop ship from white's direct to me. I guess I can just put the warranty card in the box when I send the detector back.

Look at this in you paid less than 8 hundred for the detector and it will get fixed soon if not sooner. Now take your car you paid over 20 thousand and who knows how many people will get kill before the car company will do anything. i'd bet not one person will be hurt from the program being off.

I know this is a bad bump in the road for us that waited so long for the MXS but if given time the pain will pass. I look at my Eagle 2 that I got in 91 and still works great and never had a problem. So until my MXS comes back I'll just have to sleep with my Eagle 2.The bull is getting deep.

Chuck 

my trip from today. way to many hits one way and then you go back and sometimes get it to hit again then other time no!  would only quiet down in coin and jewelry. running sensitivity low did not help. I tried the prospecting with VCO off no help. i hunted 2 hours and had enough.. when i first got it i hit a spot and found a little stuff, but it was kind of the same way but it was a lot of trash there and first time i used it, But today was some quite woods on the side of a dug in camp. watch video and tell me what you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd9y93MWoiI