White's MX Sport - Sweet Home, We Have A Problem

Let those that are happy be happy. Let us be happy after we get our detector back.

My detector may( not really ) have more miles on it than I had when I drove to Alaska. I put on over 12 thousand miles on that one trip. What we'll do for that yellow metal.

Chuck 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There actually is nothing wrong with the first MX Sport release per se. It is a metal detector. It detects metal.

The problem was a video by White's touting the machines separation capability. And an off the cuff statement by Steve Howard about how the MX Sport was going to slay that cute little French thing. Those that know took that as a reference to the Deus, a machine renowned for it recovery and separation characteristics.

Whites themselves set that bar.

The place I took the MX Sport I has just previously taken my Deus and Racer 2 putting those two machines head to head on found targets, and a battle it was. No clear winner.

Then back to same place with MX Sport and the rest is history. If White's had never made any claims at all about the MX Sport, just put it out, and said it is what it is, there is no issue. My assumption however is the machine per their own statements is intended to be able to at least hold its own with other similarly priced machines like the AT Gold, Racer 2, and F19. The MX Sport I had was not even in the same ballpark.

That long explanation however is to point out that the MX Sport is a metal detector and it does work. Anyone not familiar with how other high performance machines separate in dense trash may very well be happy with it. The grab and hold long audio can be a benefit to some people where targets are very deep and sparse. Beach hunters in particular may be happier with that ability to make a faint hit sound like a boomer target. It is not a defect, it is a way of doing things that may or may not work for people. It would be a non-issue had White's not make statements indicating the behavior I observed should be different than it was.

Another complication is the nature of software driven metal detectors. Parameters change as settings change;  for instance, certain issues may only occur at certain ground balance levels, and my ground is exceptionally bad. May not be an issue at all in milder ground. We know for sure some settings work great - just ask Paul.

At this point though water under the bridge and I am surprised some diehard White's defenders of the faith continue to question there is an issue when White's themselves says there is and has issue a fix for it. I was a bit dismayed by the response from some dealers and dealer surrogates on this. They clearly wanted to stonewall, ignore, or bury the issue. I find that far more disturbing than any simple mistake made in a new machine release, which unfortunately is more the norm than not these days. Anyone that knows anything about how to handle stuff like this knows a quick admission of fault followed by a quick fix is the ONLY solution that works. We all forgive honest mistakes made right. It can be a plus for a company when handled correctly.

My MX Sport is on the way back right now for the firmware update. Thank you White's and thank you again Tom for your participation on this thread.

14 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Let those that are happy be happy. Let us be happy after we get our detector back.

My detector may( not really ) have more miles on it than I had when I drove to Alaska. I put on over 12 thousand miles on that one trip. What we'll do for that yellow metal.

Chuck 

Well Chuck there at leased 4 of you here that have seen some kind of problem So maybe when y'all get yours fixed and see how they run others will be getting a tune up too.

Steve I bet it is a real screamer when you get it back too, The beauty of it is you get a hands on before and after, where those that have yet to buy them will miss out on that, Not sure if some folks would like that anyway but it is all knowledge gained. I would be happy either way and Tom has been first class.

steve when you have it back, plz make a video, 

beter was a video before. and video after software update, 

im still not having trouble,s so a said before, 

but maybay we have better grounds  over here hahahaha