Bullets And The Brass Ring

Big Culpeper hunt today. Liberty Hall Plantation. Chase was nice enough to invite me to go along, it was a 2.5 hour drive but well worth the trip. About 70 detectorists were there, it was a seeded/natural Civil war camp for both armies at one time or another.

200+ acres of rolling farm. Here's some genealogical history:

http://signup.libertyhallva.com/

20220430_114422.thumb.jpg.778f5539b7227dfa5d66a2ccae28f56e.jpg

20220430_081040.thumb.jpg.31f9f8e916af827302919c715d57e806.jpg

I was first to get something in the bag, but Chase maintained his mentor status overall. πŸ˜€ There were 3 large spots that were "seeded" with some great relics, and places you could dig some serious stuff from the civil war.20220430_094456.thumb.jpg.4a547258c3640db9da7f6b723e7a69ed.jpg

We put in a few miles today, a morning and afternoon hike. This place is really well maintained and run, the hunt was fair and fun. At one point we hit on a plan to find more seeded stuff and it paid off. We both started out with Deus 2's, later Chase switched to his GPX to find more bullets.Β 

20220430_114726.thumb.jpg.1c1c22671eba268d64bb83415f83f0ad.jpg

We couldn't go in the paddock areas, but there were a lot of great photo ops. πŸ˜€20220430_114323.thumb.jpg.9f0bff08439ebc442c00988602d7d874.jpg

Here's my take for the day:20220430_201704.thumb.jpg.d65639ef7f3c0ca8fd569f5e0fa995b9.jpg

I got possibly 4 "seeded" bullets, two Sharps bullets on the right, a .69 caliber Minie on the left, a Williams cleaner center, and a .52 Three ringer. Anything white was probably seeded. On top is a ~60 caliber round ball, possibly colonial. The brass ring was the only non-lead Item I dug that was worth keeping.Β 

Here's the trash, the place was loaded with nails, staples, and wire. πŸ˜€ Really not bad!20220430_194452.thumb.jpg.574266d21d22d9938b8f03df6bdb88c1.jpg

I dug an ancient cowbell with the clapper still inside. It's the large item on the bottom left. There was a building there, we searched around it for a bit but moved on.

So, how did the Deus 2 do in this soil? πŸ€”

Great. Sometimes there were mineralization bars across the screen, sometimes nothing. I didn't notice any lack of depth although I'm sure there was, and the ground was pretty hard due to the slight drought we've had this year. I ran the detector in pretty much vanilla Relic program, except Reactivity at 2, and 00 notched out with a little bit of threshold. (Thanks Chase) Sensitivity was 93 default, but I bumped it to 96. It was basically a "go/no go" day. Some stuff, particularly the wire and nails managed to get past me, but I used my Quest pinpointer to leave a few behind. 😁

We both won prizes, I was first to win the raffle, and got a book.20220430_164037.thumb.jpg.960c4d7ce8df5c85e4a025f68a431ca2.jpg

This was my first organized hunt, and I had a blast. πŸ™‚

Β  Β Great job Bob, looks like an awesome place to detect!! πŸ‘πŸ‘

Just now, Joe D. said:

Β  Β Great job Bob, looks like an awesome place to detect!! πŸ‘πŸ‘

Thanks, some people didn't get much. One woman with a GPX scored a 1730s 1 Reale! Targets were all over, but not everywhere. More swinging than ringing, I would say... πŸ€”

Thanks! πŸ™‚

After having to pay a small fortune to fix my truck last week, probably never 😁

ATX sounds tempting, has an iron check on the dd coils but the weight scares me. All pricey, heavy and require a lot of digging.

Beautiful location and great finds! Looks like the D2 did pretty well for you. Well done!

Great hunt at a beautiful site, did you put a pin pointer on the end of the nose of the horse.

Wish I could have taken time off for something like that.

Good luck on your next outing.

5 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great hunt at a beautiful site, did you put a pin pointer on the end of the nose of the horse.

Wish I could have taken time off for something like that.

Good luck on your next outing.

There were a couple of horses that gave us that opportunity at the end of the hunt, we were kicking back on our chairs at the end, drinking coffee and enjoying a break before the long drive home. Should have taken a photo. One had a face blinder on, guess that was the male. πŸ‘ I don't know if there was a penalty for "booping" horses, but there was a reward for tranquilizer darts. We both got one. Mine ID'd as a 90-something, thought I'd found a half dollar.

I found long ago that the best times are times you make. πŸ™‚

Sounds like you had a good time.Β  Camaraderie can add to the enjoyment of finding good stuff.

When you find a relic, how could you distinguish if it was planted or authentically positioned?