Went For The Gold, But Came Away With 2nd & 3rd Place

I got a call a few days ago from my detecting buddy, Richard, who got a call from the Parks Dept asking for help to find a gold wedding band lost by an army officer playing football in one of the parks a few days before. The game had been played in a relatively smaller area of the park so the two of us started gridding it off but ended up getting rained out. The officer met us out there a few days later to show us exactly where they had played hoping to make it a little easier so we hit it again. As Richard continued gridding the main area, I searched my way to where the officer said he had parked his car. Pretty close to that area I got a solid 94 on the Deus 2 and since we had been told it was a "beefy gold band" I though that could be a good number. I pinpointed the target and when I opend the hole I could see the side of a wedding band. I thought I had it, but it turned out to Silver. Close but, no cigar! There were surprizingly few targets for the area's size and we didn't find the ring. I feel like the park had detected before we got there as I could see evidence of digging in someplaces and think that unfortunately the ring was probably found by someone else.

RingRescue.JPEG

SIlverRing.JPEG

That got me wondering if I was missing gold somehow, then I realized that I haven't found any gold jewelry since last year. I began to wonder if people just aren't wearing their good stuff to the parks anymore. I know there are a lot more detectorists now, so maybe that's it.  Anyway I went out again yesterday to a park I hadn't searched yet and doubled down on the low conductors. Normally I don't pass on good sounding low numbers but I was digging everything this time just to see if I was missing something good. I hit a loud 91 and thought it was a stack of dimes or a can, but came up with a copper and onyx ring. So again, no gold, but I'll take Silver and Copper as consolation prizes. The search continues. 😏

Note: These photos don't show the grocery bags full of trash, foil, and can slaw that I threw away.

PP-1.JPEG

CopperRing.JPEG

Yikes, what's with you and fingernails, Cap'n? 🤣 Seriously, awesome hunt anyway. That first ring is incredible, and the copper one is cool. 👍 Great job, looks like you were digging most targets.

TBH I found a fingernail last week myself. 😀

Thanks, F350, I can't seem to get away from fingernails... I find them everywhere! 😱

Yeah was in dig all mode to make sure I was making the right calls on bad targets and wasn't skipping good targets. Most of them were what I thought they'd be, but a couple fooled me. 😉

6 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Thanks, F350, I can't seem to get away from fingernails... I find them everywhere! 😱

Yeah was in dig all mode to make sure I was making the right calls on bad targets and wasn't skipping good targets. Most of them were what I thought they'd be, but a couple fooled me. 😉

I was talking about this with @dogodog, and he emphasized that it's good every now and again to take a step back, turn off the filters on a programmable detector especially, and dig it all until you're confident you're finding everything, and in what you're finding.

At least return to a vanilla program just to make sure you haven't over-tweaked your detector. 👍

On 9/25/2022 at 6:05 AM, F350Platinum said:

I was talking about this with @dogodog, and he emphasized that it's good every now and again to take a step back, turn off the filters on a programmable detector especially, and dig it all until you're confident you're finding everything, and in what you're finding.

At least return to a vanilla program just to make sure you haven't over-tweaked your detector. 👍

Thanks for the advice, Bob and dogodog, that's a great idea! I'll try that the next time out. I've only made minor tweaks to the Fast program I use most of the time, but I'll run a few stock programs and a "wide open" program and let you guys know how it goes. 

On 9/25/2022 at 6:05 AM, F350Platinum said:

I tried your suggestions this weekend and posted the results in the Deus 2 section since it pertains more to using that detector instead of soley about jewelry. Check it out and thanks again for your suggestions!