I Can't Believe It Was One And Done

I explored some new ground in Sunny Yuma this morning in an area that is not generally regarded as gold producing, more silver/lead.  I had found some gold in the area last year with the SDC and figured the ZED should find some deeper ones.  It turns out the last storms stirred up a bunch of old cans from a hard rock mine about 3 miles up the canyon.  I quickly tired of digging trash and opted for a cross country trek.  I hiked up and around a dry 30 ft waterfall to find a narrow gully with exposed bedrock. The gully was about 1/4 mile long and ended in a box canyon with 2 small feeder streams from the high ground.  Halfway up the gully I get a screaming signal under a jumble of boulders.  I had left the trash behind in the main wash and this little side canyon was pretty much undiscovered.   I hadn't dug a single target so far so I was cautiously optimistic.  I rolled a few big boulders and started digging,10 inches down the target was out.  I had to turn the ZED sensitivity down to 1 to get the coil near the pile.  On my second scoop into the pile I see yellow.  Wow, a course nugget with host rock still attached.  Whooee, I'm going to fill my pack with these babies, virgin ground that had never seen a detector.  Well, I finished out the gully without another target.  It was getting hot and I had a long walk back to the truck so I didn't explore the hillsides below the box canyon.  Maybe next week I'll get up there and try to find the source.

redcloud 002.jpg

redcloud 003.jpg

6.61. Is that 6.61 lbs, ounces, Grams or grains?  I'm thinking Grams but might as well be optimistic.  :wink:

Great Job Scouting! Not only do you have some gold to show for your work, you have a place to go where there is likely more.  

Condor,

Nice story and good writing.  Good nugget.

Go get'em while the days are still cool.

Mitchel