Minelab Competing With Minelab

On 5/17/2016 at 1:36 PM, Norvic said:

That 17x13 hit on those nuggets noticeably and repeatably harder than the the 17x11 did which is another reason its become my favorite coil.

Jasong is talking about the new 17X13 Nugget finder Evolution mono coil.

6 hours ago, AussieMatt said:

Again IMO these coils may also be just squeezing the last bit of life out of the PI format? Can the GPX series be further improved on - new timings (addition of MPF maybe), even better ground handling/EMI filtering, discrimination & so on.

I'm a rookie at this and not basing my thought on personal experience just observation. When you see more (much more) experienced nugget shooters going to these new tech coils and selling their old coils I think it says a lot more than words can say.  I'm seeing folks like Rex and Jasong and others giving great reviews either by word or by their actions or both concerning these new tech coils.  I doubt it would be good for everyone to dump their old coils and go to these but if one is in the market for a new coil anyway like myself why not get what the best are going to?  

It appears to me some are also going to larger coils over here.  Again based on my observation big coils over here in the past don't seem to have been used as much as maybe they have down under.  But these new tech coils though there are smaller ones now, seem to be coming first in the mid to larger sizes originally at least large by US standards.  Those using them seem to indicate they are more sensitive than previous large mono's. Jasong's favorite coil, the 17 X 13 nor the 14" Elite are not small coils but reviewers are noting extra sensitivity.  Some reviewers are biased but some I know to give honest opinions and this is one of them:

http://gerrysdetectors.com/the-new-coiltek-14-round-elite-mono-coil-review-by-staff-member-scott-thurber/

Nothing really to be lost by folks buying these new tech coils anyway.  If you don't agree they are any better it gives you a chance to pick up some good used coils on the cheap.   I've picked up a couple recently from buyers of New tech.  But I also picked up a couple of the New tech coils too.   

Terry    

On 5/17/2016 at 1:36 PM, Norvic said:

That 17x13 hit on those nuggets noticeably and repeatably harder than the the 17x11 did which is another reason its become my favorite coil.

Jasong is talking about the new 17X13 Nugget finder Evolution mono coil.

6 hours ago, AussieMatt said:

Again IMO these coils may also be just squeezing the last bit of life out of the PI format? Can the GPX series be further improved on - new timings (addition of MPF maybe), even better ground handling/EMI filtering, discrimination & so on.

I'm a rookie at this and not basing my thought on personal experience just observation. When you see more (much more) experienced nugget shooters going to these new tech coils and selling their old coils I think it says a lot more than words can say.  I'm seeing folks like Rex and Jasong and others giving great reviews either by word or by their actions or both concerning these new tech coils.  I doubt it would be good for everyone to dump their old coils and go to these but if one is in the market for a new coil anyway like myself why not get what the best are going to?  

It appears to me some are also going to larger coils over here.  Again based on my observation big coils over here in the past don't seem to have been used as much as maybe they have down under.  But these new tech coils though there are smaller ones now, seem to be coming first in the mid to larger sizes originally at least large by US standards.  Those using them seem to indicate they are more sensitive than previous large mono's. Jasong's favorite coil, the 17 X 13 nor the 14" Elite are not small coils but reviewers are noting extra sensitivity.  Some reviewers are biased but some I know to give honest opinions and this is one of them:

http://gerrysdetectors.com/the-new-coiltek-14-round-elite-mono-coil-review-by-staff-member-scott-thurber/

Nothing really to be lost by folks buying these new tech coils anyway.  If you don't agree they are any better it gives you a chance to pick up some good used coils on the cheap.   I've picked up a couple recently from buyers of New tech.  But I also picked up a couple of the New tech coils too.   

Terry    

Reading through this, makes me miss the 5000 a bit, the coil options, the settings options but then I remember those trailing cords, being tethered to your detector, nah the Zs the go for me now for sure and after reading BBs post, not sure it`s so insane to use the Z in manual, or are we all insane????? All Steves "fault" for daring to even suggest his insane settings and then publishing them.:laugh:

It seems, if on uneven ground where you cannot keep a consistent air gap between coil and ground, the Z runs somewhat smoother in manual with an occasional quick track to get its GB right. But importantly the poke containers got a rattle more often.

13 hours ago, AussieMatt said:

It's just a shame that the GPZ had to kickstart the coil manufacturers into action really or was it just coincidental timing? ----

What excites me mostly about the GPZ is it's in it's infancy & is already competing with (or bettering) the GPX now with one coil. I've think I know where the future lies but could be wrong?

I agree with all these.

I'm curious to see what some of the other manufacturers who are working on new PI machines come up with, but it sure seems like the room to grow in the PI arena is getting slim and the future for the Z and it's derivatives is bright. 

Also agree with Norvic, cordless all the way. I personally don't ever want to use another cord again and the thing I really miss about my Z the most is the WM10 (well that and what would have been the ability to use the 19" coil now that I waited a year for in vain argh...). Some disagree but I thought the sound quality was better on the wireless module then some of the aftermarket boosters with a speaker that had a cord and that was one thing they got totally right.

*Actually come to think of it, the best immediete improvement to the 4500/5000 I could think of is to offer a new model with the wireless capability built in (and a lightweight LiPo battery attached to the unit)- I am about due to replace my 10 year old 4500 soon, bring it on!! :biggrin:

I don't know what the deal is lately with my post's doing a double take. I think it may have something to do with my Satellite internet but not sure?

5 hours ago, Norvic said:

Reading through this, makes me miss the 5000 a bit, the coil options, the settings options but then I remember those trailing cords, being tethered to your detector, nah the Zs the go for me now for sure and after reading BBs post, not sure it`s so insane to use the Z in manual, or are we all insane????? All Steves "fault" for daring to even suggest his insane settings and then publishing them.:laugh:

Mate, I still have my 5000 and it is a joy to use. The Reeds EQ Spirit wirless battery for the 5000 is the go. No cords, no drama's and a better battery IMHO. I'll consider the evo after the 19 inch for the Zed comes out.

Norvic

It seems, if on uneven ground where you cannot keep a consistent air gap between coil and ground, the Z runs somewhat smoother in manual with an occasional quick track to get its GB right. 

Been meaning to try manual as I've just used the auto tracking so far. I don't seem to be having too much trouble with targets tracking out as I'm picking up some small stuff I'd be happy to find with the SDC.

I was having some trouble with small spurious ground like noises today in reasonably hot ground that is very rocky. Still managed to pick up a bit of gold to rival the SDC in amongst it all but will give manual a go either there or in a similar area to see if it smooths it out a bit in these type of conditions. Thanks for the tip & reminding me to try manual. Pretty easy to get stuck in using comfortable settings at times without pushing the machine or ourselves.

On 5/19/2016 at 5:08 AM, jasong said:

*Actually come to think of it, the best immediete improvement to the 4500/5000 I could think of is to offer a new model with the wireless capability built in (and a lightweight LiPo battery attached to the unit)- I am about due to replace my 10 year old 4500 soon, bring it on!! :biggrin:

Just get an RC Li-po battery and a Deteknix Wireless set-up and bingo :-)