It's A Bobby Dazzler

Skate

17 minutes ago, Compass said:

What an awesome ring - congrats!!! Could that be like a wax seal ring with its reverse relief?

No idea but that’s a cool idea. The makers mark is PPL with a square inside the L if that makes sense. It was under 4.5 of sand when you figure the cut and depth so I’m pretty sure it’s old gold. The weight to size ratio is amazing. My wedding ring is twice the size and nearly half the weight ( I was cheap) of this one. Definitely a good day. 

Nice find on the ring, now go back and get a picture of the girl.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Gold prospectors said that when the found a 413 ounce nugget back in the 1890s

The town of Marble Bar was officially gazetted in 1893 following the discovery of gold in the area in 1890 by a prospector

In 1891 the town boasted a population in excess of 5,000 after a rush on the goldfields. Several large gold nuggets were discovered as a result of the goldrush. The 333 ounce Little Hero nugget, the 413 ounce Bobby Dazzler and the 332 ounce General Gordon nugget were all found in the goldfields around the town.

That's a nice ring. The engraved design looks very much like a 'livery', a design that denotes a family, perhaps a titled family but perhaps a family trying to look titled (but not) and without a full coat of arms. The chapeau, the flat type hat beneath the bird, and the bird (possibly a stylised swallow - with split forked tail) could be searched on to try and find the family. There are a few books, the best of which is called 'Fairburn's Crests' might help to narrow down the family. If you've ever found a button with a similar type on, you'd have found a 'livery button'. A few internet searches may reveal the family name linked to the livery  - but it definitely looks like a livery, and nicely engraved. Possibly a seal also. Nice ring though.

Still a nice ring. I've hit the books to try and find the engraved design - some pictures attached. The bird, which is described as a 'martlet', looks like a swallow as is a martin (but for some reason without legs?). The chapeau - I just wanted to show a couple different livery designs to put the idea across. And then the livery button of the Blake family. I couldn't find anything to figure out why that livery belonged to Blake but in the list of livery buttons I have it was a match. Possibly could be another family, but the livery looks like a match.

DSCF2237.JPG

DSCF2238.JPG

DSCF2239.JPG

DSCF2240.JPG

Great find nice to hear that  ‘clunk’ in the scoop after shaking!  I have sand moving issues over here now and fighting the ever changing conditions.  Not happy about the sand but that is beach hunting.  

That is a beauty.  Congrats.

Nice ring Skate, can you get a shot of the marks inside?

That's a "signet" "intaglio" ring for sure, and it isn't new. 👍