Manticore In Iron (nail Beds)

strick

Just a quick post gotta head out the door I'll answer questions later.  I hit an old ghost town yesterday and an old homesite...carpets of nails and big iron everywhere. See those little rivets...most of those were dug in high iron (nail bed areas)..and they were deep... as the area has been hit hard with  Deus/Nox etc..yes the Manticore is sensitive and will false but those that have used the Nox 800 in relic sites will have no problems...I only dug a couple nails and could have quit early as I had a feeling while I was digging them. There are large items in the photos as I'm still learning the machine and dig most targets that read non-ferrous. The button was the only good find and it was broken 🙄

strick

thumbnail (7).jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail (6).jpeg

thumbnail (4).jpeg

thumbnail (1).jpeg

thumbnail (2).jpeg

thumbnail (5).jpeg

Hey Strick. From what I see it is not to much iron there. Think for starting with a new detector it is a great result and you dug a haul of relics, - and I think you had a great day and more fun than working would be.😉😎

Better Luck next time.🤞

That's my kind of old house site. lamp burners, clock parts... great glass stopper. Good hunting.

You know hunting ghost towns and old home sites are hard places to hunt and the toughest places to test a new detector. It looks like you got a ton of non-ferrous items and certainly could have hit silver or gold if the coil was over it. The more you get to know the Manticore, the easier it will be to dial it in to the targets you want. I'd say you are making good headway with it and appreciate your reports for the rest of us to see to get realistic expectations. Well done, thanks again!

Yikes, how did I miss this post? 

Oh yeah... It has "Manticore" in the title. 🤣 

Glad to see ya taking one for the team, where I hunt one button (even trashed) means not skunked. Great real analysis, and proof that the detector works well in the hands of someone experienced.

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

That spoon with the fiddle handle could be early to mid-1800's.  Too bad it wasn't silver, but then again, unlikely to still be there if it was the way that site's been hit.

Chase the spoon was about 8 inches deep and oriented up right at a steep angle. It was a tough target due to the shape.  There are a lot of low to mid conductive targets in the area... shot gun caps every where. I have been digging everything in this old ghost town since I started going there in the hopes of a small gold coin. I walked over that spoon with the Nox Deus Ctx and have had other guys here that were experienced walk over it with theirs like @Cal_Cobra but for some reason the Manticore said to dig... it but it's probably just that I have new toy and am moving about slowly and learning how to use it. I really want that small coil. The third pic down was a  very deep washer...about 10 feet from the spoon. It really started singing in the hi 80's as I was getting closer to it...I asked the lord to please not let it be another rivet..and he listened lol. had to work all day yesterday so did not get to detect and found myself thinking about the Manticore in the middle of the night...it's like a cute girl with an ugly name 🙂

The site is late 1800's 

strick 

5 hours ago, strick said:

Chase the spoon was about 8 inches deep and oriented up right at a steep angle. It was a tough target due to the shape.  There are a lot of low to mid conductive targets in the area... shot gun caps every where. I have been digging everything in this old ghost town since I started going there in the hopes of a small gold coin. I walked over that spoon with the Nox Deus Ctx and have had other guys here that were experienced walk over it with theirs like @Cal_Cobra but for some reason the Manticore said to dig... it but it's probably just that I have new toy and am moving about slowly and learning how to use it. I really want that small coil. The third pic down was a  very deep washer...about 10 feet from the spoon. It really started singing in the hi 80's as I was getting closer to it...I asked the lord to please not let it be another rivet..and he listened lol. had to work all day yesterday so did not get to detect and found myself thinking about the Manticore in the middle of the night...it's like a cute girl with an ugly name 🙂

The site is late 1800's 

strick 

This is a good test site for you as you know it well from years of detecting it.  Almost as if it's a controlled environment, great to test new machines, you know the ground, EMI, iron, etc.  I have some sites like that, well beaten, you know there's more there, will a different detector take it to the next level?

That's a lot of non-ferrous.  What are the shotgun shell butts reading?  No 19th Century coins in that range?

I can't say for sure, but it seemed the Equinox 800 had trouble with coins-on-edge.  Your experience with the (copper?) spoon bears that out, but just one datapoint.  I know it's early but I'm wondering if the Manticore will do better with those difficult targets.  It seems like something Minelab should have known about, although I don't know if it's an easy fix or maybe one that brings more problems than it solves....

Thanks for the continued reporting.