Small Coil Hunt At The Beach

I personally exclusively use the 13 in coil cause less swinging means more ground i'm able to cover. But i'm also a novice so I mostly don't know what i'm doing. Plus bigger coils makes it harder to pinpoint the target's actual location so my dig holes tend to get pretty big.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well Mitchell after looking at your finds I think it would be best to switch back to the large coil with the sensitivity adjusted as needed. 🙂

strick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was just a bad beach for conditions.  Little waves, a slough, bad tides and not a good wind so ... better luck next time.

Do you prefer little coil high gain or big coil and less sensitivity?  I guess there are not that many Manticore choices yet.

• Like 1

Looks like a pair of silver earrings was saved, and the rest looks like junk.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is another thing I can add about the small coil.

There are many more 'iron' targets than the 11" or the 15" because the 8" coil 'sees' a target outside of its ID reach but it can still be a coin or bling.  I use the settings without the horseshoe being on.  It seems overly confusing to describe it.

I wonder the performance of the little coil if the horseshoe were to be on.  You'd have to be on a really target rich beach to find something to dig.  You wouldn't hear all the negative and iffy targets.  Maybe these are the settings I should use for a planted token coin hunt.

On 2/5/2023 at 7:31 PM, mn90403 said:

It was just a bad beach for conditions.  Little waves, a slough, bad tides and not a good wind so ... better luck next time.

Do you prefer little coil high gain or big coil and less sensitivity?  I guess there are not that many Manticore choices yet.

I don’t hunt salt water beaches nearly as much as you do. I’ll use the big coil for more coverage although I prefer the 11 inch.  My experience with the larger coils in not much more depth. If things are boring then I enjoy using my TDI pro with the clean sweep coil. I have never used that 6 inch coil on a salt water beach. 

Strick

• Thanks 1

I would think that a 6" coil at max sensitivity would be good on the wet slope looking for chains and micro jewelry. Something I may try when the beach is ripped up from a storm, once the big coil is done searching. Nice score on the pair of earrings!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know why I'm calling it an 8" coil.  haha  Shows how much I don't use it.

My scoop is 8" and I use that for a depth guage and often times will find deep targets at double scoop depth.  Some of them I give up on sensing it is big junk.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:29 PM, mn90403 said:

The rack on the left is one of the largest objects I've found on this beach.  It was down about 8" and it weighs about 5 lbs.

Oh, so like a CTX3030 with a dead battery?

Good experimental hunt that paid off (I mean those silver rings...).

• Haha 2