Equinox 900 Or Manticore?

21 hours ago, abenson said:

Beach hunting there's no question, Manticore!

Hi abenson.  Would you be happy to expand on this a bit please?  Does it handle wet sand better?  Better depth?  Better separation?  

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I'm also sure more coils will follow for Manticore so not concerned about that either really.

I would never be sure about Minelab actually getting around to, or allowing others to, release more coils for anything.  When they do it seems a slow boat.  

But maybe this is one of those 'Steve's opinions are sometimes more than opinions'  😄

57 minutes ago, Northeast said:

I would never be sure about Minelab actually getting around to, or allowing others to, release more coils for anything.  When they do it seems a slow boat.  

But maybe this is one of those 'Steve's opinions are sometimes more than opinions'  😄

:laugh: :laugh: No, not in this case. It's just that I'd be happy with just these two in addition to the 11" for my intended uses, and I doubt we will be waiting much longer for them. If anything else shows up someday that's fine also, but I'll not be holding my breath. :smile:

Of the two I want the 5.5x8 way more than the 12x15, and it might actually be the coil I'd use the most over even the 11". That should really make the Manticore a joy to swing, and be a great general park and relic hunting coil for high trash locations. That coil alone could tip me from Deus 2 to Manticore if XP does not come out with the 5.5x9 coil for D2 by 2024.

manticore-coils.jpg

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yes, I would certainly take the Manticore over an improved build quality and slightly modified Equinox

And the good news today is Minelab are looking into the small gold sensitivity, they were not aware it was any less sensitive than the Equinox and obviously didn't expect it to be, so perhaps if it turns out I'm right that it is less sensitive there might be a fix coming? That would be fantastic.

Should be an easy fix if it already works fine on the Equinox 800 IMO.

This video from Andrew /Abenson/..clearly shows ... that the sensitivity of the manticore to small golds is slightly lower than that of the Equinox 900, on the same size 11" coils ...

....Thank you for the test..👍

..Andrew.... do you think that the situation can change.... if the test were done on smaller coils..?/ but for manticore we have to wait for a small 5.5x8" coil../

I find on sizes like that they're pretty similar, it's very small gold the Equinox exceeds the performance of the Manticore, tiny gold... 0.0X of a gram type stuff. 

On the stuff I tested .10 and .03 there is very little difference. On the tiny tiny stuff there maybe a bigger difference. And who knows what will happen in mineralization. Small coil on the Manticore may help. Honestly though I'm not concerned about gold hunting with the Manticore. I'll use my GPX 6000 for that. It finds as small of nuggets I want to find. There are other reasons to buy the Manticore, mainly beach and park hunting. 

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

I find on sizes like that they're pretty similar, it's very small gold the Equinox exceeds the performance of the Manticore, tiny gold... 0.0X of a gram type stuff.

3 hours ago, abenson said:

On the stuff I tested .10 and .03 there is very little difference. On the tiny tiny stuff there maybe a bigger difference.

Are you guys talking the same thing?  Does ".10 and .03" mean 0.10 g and 0.03 g?  You both use the word 'tiny' but it's not clear to me that adjective refers to the same weight range.

0.03 g is 0.001 ozt.  That's already pretty miniscule to me, when a piece this size is ballpark equally valuable (bullion-wise) as a common date+mm USA silver dime.

18 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Are you guys talking the same thing?  Does ".10 and .03" mean 0.10 g and 0.03 g?  You both use the word 'tiny' but it's not clear to me that adjective refers to the same weight range.

0.03 g is 0.001 ozt.  That's already pretty miniscule to me, when a piece this size is ballpark equally valuable (bullion-wise) as a common date+mm USA silver dime.

I always get confused as the Americans tend to use grains and I have to convert them over 😛 then I get conufsed as I talk in grams and when an American talks in grams I get mixed up.

The sizes I'm talking about where the Nox appears to be excelling over the Manticore are when you get to 0.05 of a gram and below, especially when you're in the 0.00X of a gram range (I've got it right this time) that's where the Manticore is significantly worse than the Equinox.   Not a big deal to most people I'm sure, I was just hoping it would be equal to the Equinox when both using the same coil with it's higher sensitivity options, it's slightly worse and when the Nox is lucky enough to have a 6" coil and the Manticore 8x5.5 the gap will likely grow when you compare those two.  Again not a big deal to most people, just a bit disappointing it's not at least equal to the Nox.