What Do Lady Liberty, A Buffalo, And King James Have In Common? (return Update)

9 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Β  Β Awsome run again!πŸ€ Can you bottle some of that luck, and send it my way!!😁

Β  Β  Seriously though, I'd say location is key, but in your case, location aside, your hard work of mining land owners is the "secret" to your success! There are probably very few of us out there that have had the luck, and ba$$s big enough, to ask as much as you do for permissions!

Keep up the good work!!πŸ€πŸ‘πŸ‘

Β  Β 

Thanks!

I'll admit getting permissions does take a smidgen of "chutzpah", but you just have to follow your emotions and only ask when you feel the time is right. Not before, and don't second guess. You're going to get turned down sometimes, make sure you don't project that it would be a problem, but always make them say no twice, maybe even 3 times. 😁 I've turned no into yes a couple of times.

The only time I've been turned down completely was a "cold call" when I saw someone at a farm. Usually telling the owner it's a beautiful place first wins the day. The place was not all that great, so it probably didn't register.

Part of my career was making "deals" to save my county taxpayers money, so perhaps that is where it comes from. Glad I don't have to do that anymore! πŸ˜€

• Like 3

To touch something that was of such worth to people who braved a truly new world is beyond special. We have no real concept of what was required of ordinary people to establish what we take for granted today. I doubt we would impress them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JCR said:

To touch something that was of such worth to people who braved a truly new world is beyond special. We have no real concept of what was required of ordinary people to establish what we take for granted today. I doubt we would impress them.

You couldn't be more right. πŸ‘ Enduring the hardships of sea travel, hacking your way through a Mid-Atlantic jungle not knowing what your fate is, and then trying to survive on the unknown is completely beyond our grasp.

Comparing my risk of hunting while being hunted merely scratches the surface. I am humbled and grateful to have had the chance to save a small bit of history. πŸ™‚ Thanks for that comment.

• Like 4

Another great hunt in your books, and I am sure that you will be hitting that place again in the near future with Chase.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

• Thanks 1

Nice work 350 I like your hunting strategy for plowed fields..I’ll have to remember that if I ever get to a plowed field. You’ve inspired me to maybe get out this weekend and have a go at a old spot or maybe just hit a park where there is a chance for a gold ring. Thanks for taking us along on another adventure.Β 

Strick

• Thanks 1

Congrats for the 1607 hammered coin , certainly lost by the first US settlers . It is difficult to find such hammered coins even over here in France , and you did it in the US ... Wow ..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, strick said:

Nice work 350 I like your hunting strategy for plowed fields..I’ll have to remember that if I ever get to a plowed field. You’ve inspired me to maybe get out this weekend and have a go at a old spot or maybe just hit a park where there is a chance for a gold ring. Thanks for taking us along on another adventure.Β 

Strick

Thanks Strick, glad I'm inspiring yet again, part of why I post. πŸ™‚ This one got me when I put it together in my head, this place must be loaded with that stuff, you just have to get out there, ask people if you can hunt their land, do some research (did some quick stuff in the field), and be persistent and get your coil over something. πŸ‘ In 6 hours of hunting I only dug 6 good things and very little trash, so that's one per hour of swinging a detector. I hope that's not lost on the inexperienced reader. I've had "adrenaline" hunts where I find lots of stuff, but this one kept me going only sporadically.

I've been considering posting another detailed "tutorial" on field hunting with an invitation to more experienced detectorists add their knowledge. I'm doing pretty good, so it would be a fun rainy day project. Another might be how to get permissions πŸ€” but that's a little more tricky than how to hunt a farm. 😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

Congrats for the 1607 hammered coin , certainly lost by the first US settlers . It is difficult to find such hammered coins even over here in France , and you did it in the US ... Wow ..

Thanks!Β 

It is not something I ever thought I would find, especially in a field that produced 19th century relics first. In one little spot it jumped back 2 centuries! It's about as old a coin as you will get here, Jamestown Virginia was first discovered in 1606 by Captain John Smith.John-Smith.jpg.ac01d248e2694c3565363ad7ecec742c.jpg

Jamestown is 86 miles away from me, on the third lowest eastern peninsula. My coin is the year it was founded.

My peninsula was settled between 1635 and 1640 by John Mottrom, who crossed the Potomac river from Maryland. He was paid to bring settlers here. The county was incorporated in 1645.

The Spanish first found Virginia in the 1500s but did not settle.

They make it look so easy in the UK, don't they? πŸ˜€

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Out of likes this amΒ  !Β 

Lots of dream finds......πŸ‘

And those dream permissions are how.Β 

There was another colony here at Popham.~15miles from me.

Detecting it would be a dream permission.Β 

It's a state park and rangers everywhere !Β 

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !

Β 

I did detect the tiny beach in front of it,,,,,obviously not the first to do that........😒

Β 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Out of likes this amΒ  !Β 

Lots of dream finds......πŸ‘

And those dream permissions are how.Β 

There was another colony here at Popham.~15miles from me.

Detecting it would be a dream permission.Β 

It's a state park and rangers everywhere !Β 

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !

Β 

I did detect the tiny beach in front of it,,,,,obviously not the first to do that........😒

Β 

Thanks RVP!

Find a private farm or place nearby, best time to look around is spring or fall when the owners are out harvesting or planting, or just raking leaves. πŸ™‚ Stop and talk, ask about the history, compliment the place, and then ask if you can hunt. Last ditch is getting them curious about what you might find, offer to share. πŸ˜…

Protected areas are often surrounded by private property, and were normally much larger than what ended up being protected. That's the way it is here. Use the research tutorials I posted, at least most of the tools are free. I'm doing a lot more of that these days, so it may look easy but it requires research to find spots with high potential. In this case, even more amusing is that this farm was completely innocuous. πŸ€”

All that aside, nothing beats long walks with a detector finding nothing for a while. The bigger the field the higher the potential. That persistence pays off.

• Like 1