What Do Lady Liberty, A Buffalo, And King James Have In Common? (return Update)

26 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Oh Ayuh  thx ! 

Do ya ask those permissions if you can use them as a reference contact after a few good hunts ? 

Absolutely. The real problem is that if you screw up anywhere here, word will travel fast and you're toast. 😵 As with any dealing with people in general, it's a minefield, you never know if you're going to do or say the wrong thing. 😬

My wife keeps me on the straight and narrow, she is particularly honest and thankfully also knows where everyone buried the bones. 😁 She reminds me constantly to keep it straight, and is an excellent reference for who not to talk to. 🤣 I'm lucky in that respect.

I may be preaching to the choir to you man, no offense. 🙂

• Like 1

I ask questions but everybody reads , those answers help all of us.

I'm going to spend a lot of time detecting the fairgrounds this year + getting  to know the people that run it and all the farmers that participate .... 😏    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I've been considering posting another detailed "tutorial" on field hunting with an invitation to more experienced detectorists add their knowledge. I'm doing pretty good, so it would be a fun rainy day project. Another might be how to get permissions 🤔 but that's a little more tricky than how to hunt a farm. 😁

Please do! There are some farms in my family that date back to early spanish settlements in California. I really want to go hunt them, but have no idea where to start to hunt a farm field. Your earlier post about hunting the turn around locations is great. Now I just need to contact the farmer that leases our land and figure out when they cut the crops so I can get out there!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matt said:

Please do! There are some farms in my family that date back to early spanish settlements in California. I really want to go hunt them, but have no idea where to start to hunt a farm field. Your earlier post about hunting the turn around locations is great. Now I just need to contact the farmer that leases our land and figure out when they cut the crops so I can get out there!

Coming soon, Matt. 👍 I'll just take some random field and draw lines and stuff, write about things to look for. I've never been to California but I'm sure farmers do stuff the same way, you may well be in for finding some Spanish coins. 🥳

What do they plant there? Here they rotate corn, soybeans, winter wheat and barley. This year they just spread cover crop (some kind of cheap grass) so it's been great, but ominous for wheat prices. 😡 We've also had the second warmest winter in recorded history according to the klimate kooks. 😏

Farmers are generally really solid, nice people. Make sure you listen more than talk, they may know history you don't. 🙂

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

You know what you’re getting from me right?   
HELL YEAH!!!

I save the all caps hell yeahs for those super extra special finds!   Damn, I’m jealous.   Lol!

Thanks NC, hope there's more there. 😀

Now I probably won't top my finds this year. 🤣 Kac thought my last one would make the rest of the year suck.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Seeker said:

That’s one beautiful coin, and hope you find the other half. Congrats on the great hunting.

Thank you! I made little effort to clean it, that's pretty much how it came out. I think I'd look that bad if I was in the ground for over 400 years 🤣

Sadly these coins were cut for "change", most likely the other half is somewhere else now. Also it's probably why it was lost, those sharp corners would cut a hole in a colonial purse 🙄

• Like 1

Well dang, F350, you're a Relicstar! I was impressed with that your buffalo nickel had a date, but the King James hammered silver... holy cow!!! What's next, the Holy Grail? If it's anywhere, it's probably in one of your fields! 😆

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1