New Coils Or New Detector

I have a typical newbee question.

As a general rule of thumb in order to maximize your metal detecting spend I am curious if it is better to obtain different coil sizes for your existing detector or purchase different detectors? I already own a PI and a VLF machine since the underlying technologies appear somewhat different.

I want to know what everyone's advice is on the subject.

I particularly agree with Steve. But the bigger coil will give you more depth gain, if you've already thrived in an area with a smaller coil, maybe now it's time for a bigger coil, so you'll look for object deeper. When you go hunting in the field and find a nugget in the flower of the earth. Then go back and pass the bigger coil to see if there's more at the bottom. This will provide a complete service.

Depends what and were your hunting. Big coils can be counter productive. I run small narrow coils in trashy areas or where mineralziation is high and only have a few spots I can run a large coil. Large coils have poor separation and more prone to emi.

Other downside is weight.

If you are using the same coils that came with the detector, then I suggest going with a new coil.

Sometimes all it takes is a different coil to improve the recoveries.

I’d be looking for smaller coils to make your detectors more sensitive to hit on tiny finds. My G2 was reborn when I put a 5” Nel Sharp on after using the stock 11”. So too my old GMT with a 4x6 Goldmaster Shooter after the stock 5x10 DD and 6” concentric - I can find very tiny gold with that shooter.