GPZ 7000----- Should I Buy Nf 12 Coils Or?

Hi Fellas I am seeking for some advice. Currently I have a GPZ7000 and GPX6000 both with standard coils only.  I am planning a trip to WA or Tib in NSW either this or next year with dad, so we will use two detectors. I have seem some positive reviews on 12' coils for GPZ7000. I wonder what is your advice? With a GPX6000 would it be a good complementary to 7000 instead of spending another 1300 dollars?😳

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Adelaide said:

Hi Fellas I am seeking for some advice. Currently I have a GPZ7000 and GPX6000 both with standard coils only.  I am planning a trip to WA or Tib in NSW either this or next year with dad, so we will use two detectors. I have seem some positive reviews on 12' coils for GPZ7000. I wonder what is your advice? With a GPX6000 would it be a good complementary to 7000 instead of spending another 1300 dollars?😳

Gday Radalaide Ethan,

I love mine. Found more & smaller gold with it since I pulled the trigger. Maybe cause I can hunt longer as it balances way better. I also got a pair of CTX3030 batteries that are half the weight (but last half as long) to also cut weight. Lastly, started running Bogene's almost all the time. that combo is pretty awesome.

Conversely, I was just messaging Phrunt on here and he's not impressed by the sensitivity of the NF12 compared to his arsenal of X-Coils.... But to get a pigtail made and buy an X-coil here in the States is pretty darn expensive (Shipping my 19" to and back to Melbourne, tech fees for making the pigtail + the X Coil and shipping from Kazakstan make it look cheap).

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Deep Beeps said:

Gday Radalaide Ethan,

I love mine. Found more & smaller gold with it since I pulled the trigger. Maybe cause I can hunt longer as it balances way better. I also got a pair of CTX3030 batteries that are half the weight (but last half as long) to also cut weight. Lastly, started running Bogene's almost all the time. that combo is pretty awesome.

Conversely, I was just messaging Phrunt on here and he's not impressed by the sensitivity of the NF12 compared to his arsenal of X-Coils.... But to get a pigtail made and buy an X-coil here in the States is pretty darn expensive (Shipping my 19" to and back to Melbourne, tech fees for making the pigtail + the X Coil and shipping from Kazakstan make it look cheap).

Thanks mate. So you feel like 12 is good option. I actually first time heard of bogene. I need to look at it.

44 minutes ago, Deep Beeps said:

Gday Radalaide Ethan,

Beep, do you think it will lose big nugget with 12 coil than 14?

• The title was changed to GPZ 7000----- Should I Buy Nf 12 Coils Or?
5 hours ago, Ethan in Adelaide said:

Beep, do you think it will lose big nugget with 12 coil than 14?

Im not going to lie... I think you do loose a bit of depth on larger gold with the NF 12, but it's worth it in added sensitivity.

Conversely, you should find plenty of smaller bits at depth than any other set-up out there (Phrunt will make a good case for X- Coils here, most likely a 15" concentric). Think about that last sentence for a minute.... That revels a lot of smaller bits in known spots that GPX's have missed over the years. Even 6K's (They just don't have the umpf to get all the small bits at depth in mineralization).

I have the 19" and, but it's an absolute battle axe to swing all day... But in the mostly flatness of WA and lack of brush, its an option if you want to look for bigger nuggets. It is also surprisingly sensitive on small bits for its size..... Theres the newer NF as well and I've met 2 guys swinging it out in the fields here in Arizona and California, one praised it, the other had buyers remorse over it. I never used it so cannot comment on it, but I will say Im considering getting it next. 

Bogene's Settings came from a guy named Bogene on the Finders Forum that used these settings on his 3500 to deal with bad EMI from thunderstorms in the area. Some have been using it ever since on their GP's to get more sensitivity at depth in bad ground. I feel that it is an awesome all around setting for the GPZ.... But thats were I hunt in the Western USA, not OZ🤷‍♂️.

Here are the Bogenes settings on the Z.

• Sensitivity at 20 (max)
  • Threshold at zero or near it... 5 max.
  • Volume at max.
  • Semi Auto
  • Audio smoothing on low or high
  • High Yield
  • Normal
  • Locate patch as a second to last resort in noisy ground

You will have some chatter to listen to but the depth and sensitivity at depth is remarkable. If it's too squawky for your ground, then I would first up the audio smoothing to low... then high.... after that start backing off the sensitivity one increment at a time. But when you start getting below 17 your depth and sensitivity really start to fall off... At least where Im hunting.  If you need to go below 17 in sensitivity then I turn on the "Locate Patch" and back the smoothing back down to low and try to go back up in sensitivity.

I run High Yield & Normal. I never go to General or Difficult as you loose the magic with either on the Z.... In really bad ground, like you'll most likely be in, I would keep backing off the sensitivity... I wouldn't go to General or Difficult first, but only as a last resort. I would slow the swing down and keep using your balance button as you move slower to dull the ground noise... Nuggets will still pop with that sweet mellow Whohoo sound saying "Im gold and I'm down here".

I know a lot of people in western OZ run their Z's in General, Difficult, Sensitivity around 12 and no smoothing. These are completely different approaches to the machine's architecture. In Bogene's you have it wound up and then dumb down the chatter with threshold & smoothing. Then sensitivity. Lastly, Locate Patch.... In the normal approach in OZ you start by dumbing down the machine and then try to amp it up, if that makes sense.

Give it a go next time out. And as I said, it pairs well with that new NF12 your going to be getting. 😉

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Deep Beeps said:

Im not going to lie... I think you do loose a bit of depth on larger gold with the NF 12, but it's worth it in added sensitivity.

Conversely, you should find plenty of smaller bits at depth than any other set-up out there (Phrunt will make a good case for X- Coils here, most likely a 15" concentric). Think about that last sentence for a minute.... That revels a lot of smaller bits in known spots that GPX's have missed over the years. Even 6K's (They just don't have the umpf to get all the small bits at depth in mineralization).

I have the 19" and, but it's an absolute battle axe to swing all day... But in the mostly flatness of WA and lack of brush, its an option if you want to look for bigger nuggets. It is also surprisingly sensitive on small bits for its size..... Theres the newer NF as well and I've met 2 guys swinging it out in the fields here in Arizona and California, one praised it, the other had buyers remorse over it. I never used it so cannot comment on it, but I will say Im considering getting it next. 

Bogene's Settings came from a guy named Bogene on the Finders Forum that used these settings on his 3500 to deal with bad EMI from thunderstorms in the area. Some have been using it ever since on their GP's to get more sensitivity at depth in bad ground. I feel that it is an awesome all around setting for the GPZ.... But thats were I hunt in the Western USA, not OZ🤷‍♂️.

Here are the Bogenes settings on the Z.

• Sensitivity at 20 (max)
  • Threshold at zero or near it... 5 max.
  • Volume at max.
  • Semi Auto
  • Audio smoothing on low or high
  • High Yield
  • Normal
  • Locate patch as a second to last resort in noisy ground

You will have some chatter to listen to but the depth and sensitivity at depth is remarkable. If it's to squawky for your ground, then I would first up the audio smoothing to low... then high.... after that start backing off the sensitivity one increment at a time. But when you start getting below 17 your depth and sensitivity really start to fall off... At least where Im hunting.  If you need to go below 17 in sensitivity then I turn on the "Locate Patch" and back the smooth back down to low and try to go back up in sensitivity.

I run High Yield & Normal. I never go to General or Difficult as you loose the magic with either on the Z.... In really bad ground, like you'll most likely be in, I would keep backing off the sensitivity... I wouldn't go to General or Difficult first, but only as a last resort.

I know a lot of people in western OZ run their Z's in General, Difficult, Sensitivity around 12 and no smoothing. These are completely different approaches to the machine's architecture. In Bogene's you have it wound up and then dumb down the chatter with threshold & smoothing. Then sensitivity. Lastly, Locate Patch.... In the normal approach in OZ you start by dumbing down the machine and then try to amp it up, if that makes sense.

My 2 cents... Give it a go next time out and it pairs well with that new NF12 your going to be getting. 😉

buddy that's very educational. you are legend. thank you so much. due to langauge barrier and levels to understanding of my machine I cant fully understand what you mean sometimes in machine but i will read  a few times more lol

• Like 1

Ethan, the 6000 and 7000 in standard form are more than capable machines. Accessory coils can add certain enhancements for a specific task, like a longer coil is going to give you more coverage, smaller coils are going to be lighter and better in thick scrub etc. Are they a must have, no. Is it good to have a selection of coils, yes. 

If I was taking my 7000 to tibooburra then I'd definitely have a 12" Z search on the end of it. Don't forget a concentric coil doesn't cover much ground per sweep, so is better used as a patch cleaner, rather than a patch finder - where ground coverage is king. 

• Like 5

I mostly only find small gold, very small gold really, all good advice, the 15" Concentric coil is far more sensitive than the 12" Z-Search on small gold especially at depth but overall tiny target sensitivity too but it's also requiring an adapter and obviously a more expensive coil and Phasetech is right the 15" Concentric has about a 10" coils ground coverage when run in difficult, slightly more I'd say close to 12" if run in normal due to the winding configuration so it's not perfect as a patch hunter although I use it for that as I desire the sensitivity being in a small gold area.  I don't mind overlapping my swings as I'd be doing it regardless of which coil I use, it's all part of tiny gold hunting.

In standard form off the shelf with no adapters involved and seeing you're considering Tibooburra known for it's very small gold I would say the 12" Z-search is a reasonable option being the smallest plug and play coil but not by much, I barely find it anymore sensitive than the standard 14x13" coil in fact personally I find the 14x13" better overall, but I run in normal, so I can't really comment on difficult and the difference between the two.  In normal there really isn't much in it at all and I'd only buy the Z-search if I wanted a lighter coil more so than more sensitive. 

These videos show the small gold performance by using a small lead pellets as a comparison between the Z-search 12" and the 14x13" Standard coil, it gives you a basic idea of the sensitivity levels between the two of them

Yes, they're air tests, yes they're lead pellets but the purpose isn't to do with ground performance, it's the overall sensitivity of the coil to small targets.  Imagine trying to recover the same size/weight nugget in a scoop and this is what you're seeing with the pellets.  It also shows you the spots on the coil to waive your scoop over if you're recovering very small gold. 

If it was me, and you were considering buying the 12" I'd consider it more if weight was a factor more so than tiny gold performance, that's in my conditions anyway and being able to run in normal.  The "difficult" people may have a varying opinions.  I believe in Tibooburra the soils pretty mild, and people seem to run their GPZ with Concentric coils in normal there from memory, I could be wrong but I'm pretty confident I've been told that so perhaps the 14x13" runs in normal there too and if it is I wouldn't be too worried about buying another coil, after all you have a GPX 6000 at your disposal too for the tiny gold and the 11" GPX 6000 coil is fantastic on tiny gold, no need to change that to another coil for finding tiny gold.

I should add something to take into account is some people say the 12" Z-search runs smoother than their 14x13", I personally haven't noticed this but it could be a difficult soil thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As always Phrunt, well done.

I have to say though, that feels different than my GPZ and 12NF combo, compared to yours. I have loaned mine out to a friend while rehabbing a new shoulder, so I cant do a similar test here until mid August. But I know I've pulled out several .01gram specks at 5"-6" on my combo. Seemingly, more sensitive than what I would gather from the your video here.

Also, amazed how quiet your machine is with those settings. Thats a high sensitivity and threshold combo with no detuning other than the volume is down from what I always run (max). Wondering if that higher threshold might be talking over some of the target response....By chance, is that your typical starting point there in NZ for that GPZ and 12NF combo or X Coil?

If you have a chance, try my above settings next time you have the GPZ out with those same lead targets and report your thoughts.

• Like 1

Thanks yes they're my go-to settings, we don't really have too much EMI around here compared to high noise places like the USA I would guess.    I have the volume down as I run with the Steelphase SP01 Audio enhancer which boosts it right up again, but I do run higher volume sometimes.

It will feel different as they're lead pellets, tiny gold responds better than lead pellets in general because of the round sphere type shape of the pellets I believe, flatten them out and they respond much better so I'm just using difficult to find targets to demonstrate the sensitivity, I've done it for most coils I own on my Youtube so you could see the difference with the 15"CC if you want here and if you snoop around my videos I think you'll see where I do similar testing using small gold nuggets (flakes) comparing the coils too.

I will try it again with a lower threshold and higher volume at some point and see if I can see any difference.

I use the little lead pellets to play around and test settings and sensitivity on all my coils and detectors to work out which I want to use for which task.

• Like 3