Low And Slow In Yuma

We had another cloudy morning in Yuma so I got out the 7k and went out to the zone I had found the better class of nuggets this spring.  Temps were in the low 90's with about 60 percent humidity so I was forced to slow way down which obviously paid off.  I ran the 7k maxed out with my earphones plugged in and the threshold barely audible.  I had the luxury of knowing the area had gold, very little trash and very few hotrocks.  I was swinging low and slow, overlapping the swings by half.  I investigated any disturbance that made the threshold go steady from its warble. 

The big specimen was out of the main wash up on a bench and just barely registered a disturbance in the threshold.  I kicked out some of the bigger rocks and still barely got a warble.  So I dug off 2 inches about a foot square area and the tone was definite.  The nugget was ultimately down about 14 inches on a layer of old grey clay.  It makes your heart beat a little faster when you dig down and see that clay layer, not much trash makes it down that far.  I seriously doubt I would have heard that nugget in my normal prospecting mode relying solely on the external speaker.  Crappy weather has made me slow down and be satisfied with covering less ground thoroughly.

The second nugget was up in the side bank of a cut in the main wash.  With maxed out Insanely Hot settings a nugget that small screams at 6 inches. 

nighthawk 006.jpg

nighthawk 005.jpg

Steve H. coined the phrase last year.  Basically, Sens at 20, Smoothing off, HY, Normal.  Sometimes I run the threshold up in the low 30's but it's a noisy bugger.  My last 2 outings I have been running threshold at 5  and up the volume.  Make sure you lower the Volume limiter or you'll blow your ears out on trash.  You have to go really slow because the machine is still pretty noisy.   If you have hot ground or a lot of hot rocks it will drive you crazy.  It's not for everyone and I use it about 70 percent of the time. 

4 minutes ago, beatup said:

W T G Steve, you are really making me wish is was winter i could be down there in Yuma swinging the 7k and digging gold.

Hey Brett,

You wouldn't want to be here now.  These daytime temps are killing me and I grew up here.  San Diego weather spoiled me.  Looking forward to getting together this winter.  Bring that passport and your big-boy courage and head down to Baja with us. 

1 hour ago, Condor said:

Hey Brett,

You wouldn't want to be here now.  These daytime temps are killing me and I grew up here.  San Diego weather spoiled me.  Looking forward to getting together this winter.  Bring that passport and your big-boy courage and head down to Baja with us. 

i have a passport and I aint shy about begging in to a hunt!!! lolol

4 hours ago, vanursepaul said:

i have a passport and I aint shy about begging in to a hunt!!! lolol

Hey Paul,

With your surgery back repairs I think there would be a place for you.  Someone I might be able to outrun if that mountain lion gets after us.  Seriously though, come join us anytime.  We have a good group in the winter down here in Yuma by the Sea.