Pulse Dive Coil Broke Just Taking It Off

Has anyone had this happen to them? I've never even used the coil but my Pulse Dive has run out of warranty a few months ago I think, I've lost its receipt it may well still be under warranty, so it's now a throw away having never been used.  I had it on the Pulse Dive as I figured I'd never use it as a pinpointer but hoped to use it for a play around in the water at some point over summer but it's winter now and never found time in the previous summer so the pin pointers never been used at all except for some air tests.  Today I went to remove the coil to put the pinpointer end back onto it to make a video comparing pinpointers and while undoing the coil it just shattered for no real reason, I can't explain why it would break like this, it's always been difficult to get it off as its a waterproof unit and needs a good seal but I guess this time the stress on the plastic was just too much for it and it exploded.

IMG_0972.thumb.jpg.ee01976feec7e270ab711f424c95abc9.jpg

I guess that was some wasted money seeing I never even got to use it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 3

7 minutes ago, wltdwiz said:

contact nokta see what they can do for you

I've lost my receipt, the dealer it was purchased from sold his business, I know if it is still under warranty, it would be only just, very close to out of warranty if not out of warranty by a few months.

Just wondering if it's a known issue or for some reason mine just broke.

I'll send them an email just in case they can check its serial vs when it was sold to my ex-dealer and see in case they can go by that if it's still covered.  Either way, it's good to let them know when something breaks abnormally,I guess in case it's some sort of known issue with my batch or something.

That's concerning.  Mine hasn't seen action in about a year...so I pulled it out to check and the coil detached without issue.  Pushed the coil in towards the handle and rotated.  The gasket was still lubricated.  Plastic looks ok...no cracks that I can see.  Mine has never been difficult to remove though...  Maybe an issue with the casting on yours?  Hopefully Nokta will take care of you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike305 said:

That's concerning.  Mine hasn't seen action in about a year...so I pulled it out to check and the coil detached without issue.  Pushed the coil in towards the handle and rotated.  The gasket was still lubricated.  Plastic looks ok...no cracks that I can see.  Mine has never been difficult to remove though...  Maybe an issue with the casting on yours?  Hopefully Nokta will take care of you.

Mine was very hard to remove, it's very stiff, same with the pin pointer end piece, very hard to get it off, I assumed it was so it remained waterproof they made them a very tight fit.  Maybe it was a dud from the start.

As you can see, it's never been used.

IMG_0975.thumb.jpg.4c1d89570b350fda8fb559ede69ea174.jpg

IMG_0976.thumb.jpg.f12d5694a495babbcef50e78a0d19ba6.jpg

IMG_0977.thumb.jpg.35fd51f0a126befac09f57e0b447559c.jpg

IMG_0978.thumb.jpg.94a0db89751c38552f760c7767dbfd87.jpg

IMG_0979.thumb.jpg.9a93000ad162b2bbe9e6fd8e8848106c.jpg

Mine had a small piece on one of the twist threads broken off new when I got it, but it seemed to twist on and hold just fine so I thought nothing of it. Fact is I have never used the unit at all - complete impulse buy that so far has not panned out. :smile:

Anyway I'd be surprised if they did not replace it - let Dilek know, since she is familiar with you via the forum.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Mine had a small piece on one of the twist threads broken off new when I got it, but it seemed to twist on and hold just fine so I thought nothing of it. Fact is I have never used the unit at all - complete impulse buy that so far has not panned out. :smile:

Anyway I'd be surprised if they did not replace it - let Dilek know, since she is familiar with you via the forum.

I think it was just so stiff to undo the plastic couldn't cope with it, I haven't seen @Nokta Detectors on the forum for a while, I sent them an email yesterday, haven't had a reply as yet.

I tried to buy the bigger size coil yesterday to replace it but the NZ dealer has no stock so I emailed them, no reply either yet.  I might just order one from Australia at least they have stock, I intended to use the pinpointer in summer but never got around to it, it's a nice idea in my head that just never becomes reality 🙂

IMG_0972.thumb.jpg.ee01976feec7e270ab711f424c95abc9.jpg

The weak point seems to be that rectangle hole in the yellow plastic where the crack looks like it started.

I'm sorry that you have broken Simon.  Some time ago I saw a video that explained to you to keep it to prevent that from happening.  It is good to add Vaseline to the O-rings, apparently it tends to seize and when turning it to remove it, they also recommended grabbing it as close as possible to the connection.  I've had mine for about three years and I haven't had a problem since I've been doing those tips

• Thanks 1

15 euros sells the connector, made by him.  in case you are interested in repairing it.  In the videos he explains how to do it.  It's in Spanish, I don't know if it can be translated into English

Screenshot_2023-08-02-00-13-09-48_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Like 4