Pulse Dive Coil Broke Just Taking It Off

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yes, makes me want to buy a Legend

Great customer support has a way of doing that.   It kind of nullifies whatever fear of dissatisfaction might come with a purchase.   If the seller will make things right when things go wrong,  that's a big thing.

• Like 1

Keep the new coil's O-ring lubed up with silicon grease.. you'll get years of use out of it.. My coil was also very stiff to take off when I first got it, keeping the grease on slides it off without stressing the plastic part.. I use the silicon grease used for scuba gear.. It's a bit off a pain in the arse but if you use the PulseDive a lot it's worth the effort.. 🙂

It's been a handy tool not just for snorkelling/diving but also for wading in waist-deep water in places where it's hard to swing a detector.. I only wish it punched a bit deeper.. In my experience it's only been good for recently lost rings or coins which haven't been buried too deep yet..    

• Like 1

Yes, I'd never used silicone grease on it, in saying that I'd never got a chance to use it at all.  In my recent testing it's the deepest of the pinpointers I own on a coin, and that's without even putting a coil on it, just as a pinpointer is topped the bunch on an Aussie $1 coin.  

Once the replacement arrives, I'll be sure to buy some silicone grease and keep it well lubed 🙂 

Have you tried the larger 8" coil on your Erik?  I'm tempted to buy it for a bit more punch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Have you tried the larger 8" coil on your Erik?  I'm tempted to buy it for a bit more punch.

Yes, the 8'' coil is the one I wish punched a bit deeper, but that's using the PulseDive as a scuba detector.. In saltwater it struggles to hit a small gold ring at an inch, coins are a bit better ($1 and 50 cents up to 3'').. I still like the 8'' coil though for freshly dropped rings and coins in tight spots amongst submerged rocks or in cervices..

For beach detecting I like the PulseDive just as a pinpointer (without a coil).. I've found it punches deeper and is far more stable in wet sand than my ML Pro-Find 35 (which I can only use with its sensitivity dialled right down).. I also like the removable cap on the tip which can be replaced without having to buy another pinpointer/detector.. As a pinpointer it might be a bit chunky but I've found it a hard-wearing tool just right for the job..     

I've never tried the 8'' coil on dry land or on mellow soils.. or even in fresh water.. You'll probably find it a different beast all together.. 🙂   

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 1:46 AM, phrunt said:

I can't explain why it would break like this  ...

Probably because the plastic used for manufacturing is too fragile ( too brittle ) .

btw I had a similar issue in the beginnning of the 2000s with an ML explorer XS control box at the connection with the mid shaft . The CB was made with brittle plastic , hopefully the ML after service replaced it with a new one . Now ML uses reinforced plastic on their detectors and this issue does not occur any more  ..

7 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Yes, the 8'' coil is the one I wish punched a bit deeper, but that's using the PulseDive as a scuba detector.. In saltwater it struggles to hit a small gold ring at an inch, coins are a bit better ($1 and 50 cents up to 3'').. I still like the 8'' coil though for freshly dropped rings and coins in tight spots amongst submerged rocks or in cervices..

For beach detecting I like the PulseDive just as a pinpointer (without a coil).. I've found it punches deeper and is far more stable in wet sand than my ML Pro-Find 35 (which I can only use with its sensitivity dialled right down).. I also like the removable cap on the tip which can be replaced without having to buy another pinpointer/detector.. As a pinpointer it might be a bit chunky but I've found it a hard-wearing tool just right for the job..     

I've never tried the 8'' coil on dry land or on mellow soils.. or even in fresh water.. You'll probably find it a different beast all together.. 🙂   

A colleague has used this coil for a couple of years and is very happy with it.  Made by the same person who does the connector that I posted above

https://www.bricodeteccionmetalica.com/producto/bobina-de-25-cm-makro-nokta-pulsedive-copia/

Screenshot_2023-08-05-14-54-19-00_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Luis said:

Un colega ha usado esta bobina durante un par de años y está muy contento con ella. Hecho por la misma persona que hace el conector que publiqué arriba

https://www.bricodeteccionmetalica.com/producto/bobina-de-25-cm-makro-nokta-pulsedive-copia/

Captura de pantalla_2023-08-05-14-54-19-00_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I had BDM coil in the past, and I sold it. It was very very sensitive, too deep, but it falsed enough, in my opinion, and I didn't feel confortable with it, it was big enough and heavy for handy job underwater, so... I sold it.

Now I have 8" and 5,5" and the one that I prefer is the smaller one: you can go full power without falsing, accurate as a laser, and for my environment, very rocky, is the best. 

Nokta have now shipped my replacement Pulse Dive coil, they were kind enough to let me choose the size they replace it with, I went with the big size coil as I'm mostly likely to use it in freshwater lakes where ground coverage would be the most important factor.   They used DHL Express so I'll have it in a week.

I can see why many people have Nokta as their favourite brand, can't fault their service, I'd lost my receipt and they still helped me out, can't ask for more than that.

You better watch out @Erik Oostra, I plan to take my daughter to Magnetic Island at some stage in the next year or so, along with a trip to various parts of the Great Barrier reef while it still exists in its current form so she can see it, I'll be armed with my Pulse Dive and whatever detector at the time I think is best for water detecting.  Just keep an eye out for another guy with crazy hair that's not Crusty cruising around in a Moke.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

Just keep an eye out for another guy with crazy hair that's not Crusty cruising around in a Moke.

Crusty is still getting around, albeit a bit slower these days.. He's ditched his bike for a walking stick.. Let me know when you're on the island, it'd be great to meet you.. I won't hunt Alma Bay for a while before you come, give you a chance with the PulseDive.. If you don't have any luck you're welcome to help yourself to my Equinoxes or Deus II.. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Phrunt “have now joined the long line of people that have experienced exceptional customer service from Nokta, they're replacing it for me even though I can't locate my receipt.”

Man, That’s so good to hear..

Rad🤙🏻

• Thanks 1