Do You Tape Or Seal Scuff Covers?

Do You Tape Or Seal Scuff Covers?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tape or seal metal detector search coil scuff covers / skid plates?

• I use a fitted cover with no tape or sealant
    • I tape my scuff covers
    • I use a sealant on my scuff cover
    • I don’t use scuff covers and take them off coils that come with them
    • No preference, I just use whatever comes with the coil - cover, no cover, taped cover, etc.

9 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

For all my detector coils, but the Manticore coil, I seal the coil covers all around with detector tape. Makes all the difference. 

GC

probably a simple answer to this but

What is detector tape if you do not mind me asking

I must be doing something wrong because I don't let my coil hit the ground as I don't want to scratch it up.

I still have the original coil cover on it and only have 9 small scratches on it. My 10x5 has no scratches on it and I use it in a creek to check out the creek and bank wall for gold.

• Like 1

Detector tape - It's a way for shops to rip you off, for example.....

Finders Keepers Australia, a very popular dealer....

Nugget Finder 😄 PVC coil tape, which is in fact as per their picture 3M electrical 1610 vinyl general purpose electrical tape.

Nugget Finder PVC Electrical Tape - Finders Keepers (finderskeepersgold.com)

$20 Australian dollars per roll at Finders Keepers...... 

Then, if you buy it elsewhere, a normal shop not targeting detector users;

3M Temflex 1610 Electrical Tape 19mm x 20m - Black (signet.net.au)

$1.67 per roll.

Just buy a good quality brand PVC electrical tape, 3M is of course a good brand and sticks well.

Plasti-dip seems a great idea for water use coils, I tried it on land coils skid plates for an extra protection and the results were not so great but on a water coil would be suitable.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

I must be doing something wrong because I don't let my coil hit the ground as I don't want to scratch it up.

I still have the original coil cover on it and only have 9 small scratches on it. My 10x5 has no scratches on it and I use it in a creek to check out the creek and bank wall for gold.

My Equinox 11" stock coil cover is pretty scratch free as I use it for coin hunting on grass and I've got a Nugget Finder solid skid plate I use on the 11" when looking for gold as it's better for scrubbing, the coils I use looking for gold wear covers out pretty fast as I'm scrubbing the ground trying to find the smallest bits of gold, gold that if you don't scrub you will likely miss.  

I've found creek detecting in water doesn't cause all that much damage to coil covers, it's dry rocky soil ground that does all the damage in my experience, but if you're not as close to the ground as possible you're likely missing the smallest of gold, and even bigger deeper bits if they're just on the edge of detection, the same goes for coins and jewellery, that quarter of an inch maybe the difference between seeing the target and not and some detectors like I believe the Equinox perform worse with an air gap between the ground and the coil, the CTX is different as it is not bothered by the air gap, other detectors lose depth because of it, some versions of the Teknetics T2 had a boost mode that was good to use in long grass because it added the boost needed to alleviate the air gap.  

Anyone with an Equinox should test how much the air gap affects depth, it does.... test with a coin you can detect at a certain depth buried, then bury it at a lesser depth and include the air gap, in my soil at least which is very mild you'll suffer more of a depth loss with the air gap than you will if it's in the ground, the CTX on the other hand doesn't, and works well in longer grass.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

My coil covers get pretty scratched up because I scrub the ground, when at all possible, its the way I was taught so I continue to scrub the ground

• Like 3

I have used both PVC and CLOTH tape over the years, and found it OK, but I went to the "Self-adhesive Silicone Tape", Waterproof Silicone Rubber Adhesive Repair Tape, Bonding Rescue Wire Hose Silicone Self Fusing Tape.  I found by wrapping it around twice it even provided protection against my rough swings against side hits on the outside of the coil.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, geof_junk said:

I have used both PVC and CLOTH tape over the years, and found it OK, but I went to the "Self-adhesive Silicone Tape", 

Like this stuff? 

Jobmate Silicone Door Seal Tape - Door Seals & Draught Arresters | Mitre 10™

I've been eying it off lately as it's cheap and seems a good idea for door and window sealing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

Simon i meant this type of tape.

Self fusing silicon tape

Thanks, I'll snag some, only $5 at Super Cheap Auto! 

The Calibre Tape-It is a silicone self-fusing tape available in a range of colours. It has an incredible 950 PSI tensile strength, which insulates 8000 Volts per layer. The tape is able to withstand 500 degrees Farenheit of heat, while remaining flexible to -60C. The tape is able to create a permanent and air and water-tight seal within seconds without leaving a gummy or sticky residue, unlike other electrical or duct tapes, therefore there is no messy clean up! The versatile Tape-It has an extremely long shelf life which allows you to keep it on hand for whenever you need it. Whether you need to seal leaky pipes, create extra grip on your tools or sporting equipment, or waterproof electrical connections, the tape does it all. It even works

• Like 2