Impulse AQ - Is Ats Working Right?

1 hour ago, bklein said:

Here I adjusted the ATS and Reject controls in Mute mode to reject tent stakes. It also rejects everything but the nickel and gold ring.

Now you are set to dig gold, or at least much of the gold, and not put the effort into digging other stuff.

When I run tone, I listen to the size and shape of the target response and will dig coins other than nickles because of the narrow sharp response they give even thought they are full low tone. I almost never run mute.

One thing that has been an issue in certain areas is interference. All metal seems to be more immune to interference than tone or mute mode. If I go to an area that I am not familiar with I pack an Excal for interference mitigation reasons and because it is always good to have a backup.

11 hours ago, bklein said:

How does the Excal do with black sand? I have mine for sale but just got some FEO3 or whatever to test it and others in black sand conditions.

Heaviest black sand I've hit with it are Outer Banks in North Carolina and some red and pink sand in the Daytona Beach area. Both cut down detection depth; the red sand was pretty bad. I thought the CZ did better in both. Had a Tesoro Sand Shark along when I hit the red sand and it was much better. Will be interesting to see what your testing finds.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to set up tones mode that will eliminate tent stakes, coins, iron, but not eliminate large gold ring, like class rings?

On 10/20/2023 at 5:02 PM, The_Stalker said:

Is there a way to set up tones mode that will eliminate tent stakes, coins, iron, but not eliminate large gold ring, like class rings?

All the large gold class rings I've found have either been returned or sent to the refinery before I got the Impulse AQ LTD. Been a bit of a drought on class rings with any of the detectors over that last couple years. 

I've got a 7 gram 14k ring that comes through clear high tone when tent stakes go low tone and a 51 gram 10k gold chain that is high tone when tent stakes go low tone, but chains act like the individual link more than the aggregate ... perhaps others can chip in on the large gold.