Axiom Gold

Swegin

That was great to see. Thanks for posting. I noticed he turned the DD coil upside down. I've been doing that too, but recently saw a diagram somewhere that showed the top of the DD as being hot too (in the negative spaces of the D's on top of the coil).  I tried it and it seems to work so now I just lay down the detector as is when checking targets. Does this seem like a good practice?

• Like 1

Somehow I got the feeling it was a bit staged, or, a re-enactment. Why was a camera set up on that spot? Camera views changed somehow.....someone else working it? Hell of a nice nugget though....👍

1 hour ago, timbus59 said:

I tried it and it seems to work so now I just lay down the detector as is when checking targets. Does this seem like a good practice?

I can't answer this since I don't have an Axiom, but I did remember reading this from Steve.  It's the second post down.

2 hours ago, timbus59 said:

That was great to see. Thanks for posting. I noticed he turned the DD coil upside down. I've been doing that too, but recently saw a diagram somewhere that showed the top of the DD as being hot too (in the negative spaces of the D's on top of the coil).  I tried it and it seems to work so now I just lay down the detector as is when checking targets. Does this seem like a good practice?

The rod connects on top right over the hottest spot. Boils down though to whatever works for you. I don’t like subjecting the cable to constant bending so I’d be more inclined myself to flip the detector over than flip the coil over.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. Found the diagram that got me thinking about not flipping the coil. Check out https://garrett.com/searchcoil-basics Near the bottom of the page, they show a diagram with "Negative Detection Fields" on top of the DD coil. They don't look as hot as the bottom field down the center for sure.

• Like 1

Don't trust the diagrams. All coils are generally just as hot on top as on bottom, and I do usually go to the top of the coil with all my coils. It's only when chasing really tiny bits that getting right at the center of the focused core coils helps me a bit. Sometimes rods and rod mount ears get in the way of getting the best signal.

Simple answer is get a small target and test your coil both top and bottom to satisfy yourself. All the tools you need for answers are right at hand. :smile:

• Like 3