Gary Shows You How To Say Goodbye To Emi!

CPT_GhostLight

Honestly... is not possible to say goodbye to EMI with SMF devices. They are the magnet for EMI. I have plenty of them and I'm struggling with the same problem all the time. You can reduce it a little bit but you will also lose the depth of your metal detector. Under power high voltage lines you can get a silent EMI version and if you are a happy moron like me in the past and you think:  that is good it is quiet. Yes, it is but the software is cutting noise perfectly with performance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nailed it Shelton!

I really enjoy Gary's videos, but this one falls short for me. Reason being, there is no EMI noise to begin with, and no demo of the EMI noise reduction actually working. Did Gary have the audio muted?

If Gary was in EMI that we could hear, then pressed the EMI noise reduction button, it would have little to no effect on the EMI interference. The frequency change of the EMI noise reduction is far too minuscule to overcome the noise accumulation effect of SMF.

With that said, SMF noise reduction can be successfully accomplished with smoke and mirrors software trickery, but that will also result in depth loss and/or ID accuracy at depth.

• Like 1

That "Say Goodbye To EMI" title for Gary's "Combat EMI With The Deus ll" video is very unfortunate. It was probably added to this video by a marketing person at XP. Garry never mentions "say goodbye to EMI" in his video since he knows that is not going to happen. He does say combat EMI multiple times.

Deus 2 has 6 increments of frequency shift for each single frequency or simultaneous multi frequency combination. It's simply not enough to make a huge difference. However, after using a Deus 2 for quite awhile now, I have never had to go nuclear and switch to the Mono program because of EMI.

Deus 2 is chatty anyway and is capable of having a robust noise floor by design, so those wanting or needing silent search probably picked the wrong detector.

• Like 6

The kind of EMI also matters. I find the Deus II can effectively silence the steady 60hz EMI from my local overland lines, but it can't do anything about the EMI salad from my residential telephone poles. And forget cell towers, radio towers etc. I just live with the noise or go elsewhere. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SwiftSword said:

The kind of EMI also matters. I find the Deus II can effectively silence the steady 60hz EMI from my local overland lines, but it can't do anything about the EMI salad from my residential telephone poles. And forget cell towers, radio towers etc. I just live with the noise or go elsewhere. 

That's interesting about the power lines. It's those power lines that most people seem to get the most interference from.

Oh well, like yourself, I just learned to live with it 🙂 Besides, once the coil is swinging on the ground, the noise is significantly reduced.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Oh well, like yourself, I just learned to live with it 🙂 

I'm going to elaborate on that.

I learned to live with it because:

1) I'm not willing to significantly reduce the sensitivity and its associated depth loss, just because of noise when the coil isn't on the ground.

2) I'm not willing to switch to SF unless I absolutely have to. Reason being, I find SMF's target ID accuracy to be notably superior to SF.

• Like 3

I have noticed that switching to 24 kHz seems to help quite a bit with quieting EMI without losing depth on the 11" coil. The 9" coil does have a little less depth but I rarely have to do anything more than a quick frequency scan to quiet it down.

I too don't mind it being a little chatty I'm it's hitting deep targets, and in most of my in-city sites I usually only find a small spot of heavy EMI and will plow through it, but the D2 goes nuts if there's another D2 in the neighborhood! 😏

• Like 1

I have found that a good way to reduce the audible effect of EMI is to reduce Audio Response, followed by reducing Sensitivity (or Salt Sens first if using Beach modes)

• Like 2

Could be where I live, but EMI isn't much of a problem here. Yes, the occasional blip from my cell phone seeking a signal (some places there is next to nothing), and some underground power lines. There are a couple places where other SMF detectors have big issues but the D2 does not.

However, any place that that my "other detector" was completely unusable I have been able to use the D2 with little or no problem. I agree with Jeff that if you expect the machine to run completely silent you picked the wrong machine, but regarding other XP machines, I hunt with Chase all the time, and we never have issues because we use frequency shift if we do. Additionally I can hear other vendors' machines pretty far away at group hunts. Frequency shift and move away is the solution.

One point of interest under V.71 was that @Rattlehead's Silver Slayer allowed me to hunt directly under power lines. 🤔 I wonder if SS would still be valid under V2.

My summer travels take me up and down the East coast from Virginia to Savannah, and I don't encounter anything that causes me to curse XP. 😀 I can always find some happy place.

If all else fails I have found reducing sensitivity or audio response helps greatly. Sure you lose some depth but you still come away with finds, I fail to see what is wrong with that. 😎

• Like 4