Conclusion To Rye Patch, Nv 3 Days Field Training - Long Read

Summary of Gerry’s Detectors last 3 Days Field Training at Rye Patch, NV of 2023 for the customers.  We’ll still offer 1 day 1 on 1 this Winter in AZ, all the way into March for those who prefer Individual hands on.

I think due to the cold weather the previous week (lows in the teens & highs in the 40’s) with snow cover peaks... half the class cancelled.

P1010030.JPG.724ecdf339d473a4c4a6b682173b7991.JPG

This put me in a bind and as soon as I realized how small the group was, I called 2 of my Field Experts and told them, not needed.  Something about cold in the desert that just does not sit well with a few.  Actually, the weather turned for the good and we had some of the best possible temps one could hope for.  Sure the low temps were in the upper 30’s/low 40’s but the high temps were optimal at upper 60’s and low 70’s.  Yes, the Nevada desert was shining brightly with hardly a breeze and way warmer than expected, as a few of us got too much sun having fun while learning/listening and enjoying the group session.  Even had a few unexpected guests getting the last of the warm sun-rays for the year.

NVa1.thumb.jpg.0cd1b8abe07a21be70ee6aba29575f4a.jpg

I won’t go into details on what my Field Staff/I share the 1st day as it’s hard learned from many hours of us in the field with a variety of detectors, coils, settings, sites and kinds of gold.  All I know, is the customers certainly do appreciate what they see/learn with their own eyes and that’s exactly what we want.  We finished the day with a quick Proper Detector Setup so those who want to enjoy the evening swinging or before class the next morning.  Soon after one of the VLF detectors (Equinox) and it’s owner from NV scored a picker nugget (sorry Floyd I didn’t get a pic).  It’s nice to see/hear of gold being recovered the 1st day, especially for Rye Patch for anyone who knows how hard that area has been detected.

Not much time after, Duke from Idaho was giddy with joy seeing his 1st NV gold, just a picker....but gold.

TrnDuke1.thumb.jpg.010e24f828aeb9f777147000e35958b9.jpgTrnDuke2.thumb.jpg.75c9cda1aa3f3df641c4f3c4c815c3ba.jpg

This guy Duke, was a hard nut to crack as he is prior US Military Special Forces and an Expert Coin Hunter who’s retired and puts in 40 hr weeks swinging his NOX.  He’s well over $1000 in clad alone.  This summer he’s spent so many trips in the gold fields trying to find some Au on his own and it just never happened.  Duke called me the week before saying he was cancelling as the weather was cold, his ego was bruised and his tent/sleeping bag was not designed for such weather.  He had just returned from a multi day hunt looking for the shiny yellow with ZERO results.  After that trip he concluded maybe chasing the elusive heavy metal was just not his cup of tea.  I accepted Dukes words and removed him from the list.  Not 10 minutes later my gut told me to call him back, so I did.  It’s not that I wanted to see Duke fail, but more about his background and how much alike it is to mine.  I’m prior USMC and for 25 yrs was a heck of a coin/relic/jewelry hunter.  I thought I knew metal detectors inside and out and since my Success was so great, I just assumed the pursuit of gold nuggets would be the same.  Boy was I so far off base and wrong, but at least I didn’t give up.  I had a long talk with Duke and told him…most of his no gold problem was the Success of his coin hunting.  Two totally different styles of hunts and target signals to be listening for (plus a bunch of other things most don’t understand).

I promised if Duke would show up with an open mind and... if he could accept personal criticism from my Field Staff/I, as well as he change his habits, he would learn the ropes for this new chapter of using a metal detector.  As for the tent/sleeping bag, he showed up with more blankets, but forgot his coffee making essentials (that’s a totally different story). Those who understand morning coffee, must know.

Anyway, long story short, Duke did in fact learned/listened and found gold.  He was totally surprised at how different the Au hunt is, but he accepted his bad habits and shined above the past.  I can tell Duke will be a great nugget hunter if he desires to stick with it.

Just before the day ended Mike from Idaho came up to me with his 1st NV gold and I was a little surprised all the previous classes had left a nugget for his GPX-6000. 

TrnMike1.thumb.jpg.dfc8c114f5436fc7c439132aa608df80.jpgTrnMike2.thumb.jpg.712f78f5d81931550dcc54706396fe93.jpg

It just goes to show, even the best of us can’t find it all.

Day 2 we stayed near camp as it seemed to be producing some nuggets.  We hunted the wash near by and could see plenty of recent dig marks.  There was much exposed bedrock from a recent rain and I knew there was gold to be had, but also some spots of heavy trash got scattered down the wash as well.  It’s tough in those situations but those who persist and learn to use their tools properly (super magnet) can save time and hopefully be rewarded.  That’s one good thing about trash areas in old gold producing prospects, you know there’s still gold left to be earned.  We managed a decent picker in the wash with GPX-6000 but not much more gold from there. 

One of my previous customers hunted near camp on day 2 and he managed a a few with his 6000 as well.  Remember, he's a previous customer and has already taken the training.

Manuel1.jpeg.1a0a2dc0c80d1b189845f589da17b27a.jpeg

The pic below is the same customer and his finds from this year in 5 months of swinging for gold.

Manuel.jpg.d600755fbef0b3c0f3afdde06d6a8027.jpg

It seems the new improved GPX-6000 is the best at what’s left at Rye Patch and we were starting to see that. 

20231023_163011.thumb.jpg.1f9ca88c4af4cfb539361a5968e90a9c.jpg

Yes we had two Axiom’s in class and even though they were able to hear most of the targets before we actually dug them, they had yet to score their own gold.

Day 3 the final and usually the best day for Success.  The students have had multiple 1 on 1 times with my different Staff and plenty of tutorial.  It seems the knowledge is most remembered (repetition) and best coil control, ear’s listing to the right sounds vs the wrong sounds…is being accomplished.  I can assure you of 10 trips, 9 of those the most gold recovered is on the final day, which should make sense.  It just goes to show the advances and progress the folks in the class have learned.  As the man in charge, that’s exactly what I want to see and it keeps my Staff/I happy.

Up until this time on the 3rd day, Minelab ruled the gold count.  Most of that was due to the number of Minelabs in the class vs other brands.  The two Garrett Axiom guys were getting a little antsy and I could see it in their body language.  I made sure Lunk who owns the Axiom with great success was on them aplenty showing the capabilities of what I consider the best value Pulse Induction gold detector on the market.  Is it the best for all scenarios, NOT AT ALL and no detector is (that’s an upcoming write up).

Axiom’s come shining through. That’s exactly how the last day of the training ended.  The students are putting everything they’ve learned together and so their chance of Success is 10X or more of when they arrived.  To start the Garrett glow, Frank all the way from Colorado is swinging an old push windrow and his Axiom lights up a beautiful Rye Patch type character piece of gold.  It looks to be just the right size for a dainty pendant down the road. 

TrnFrank1.thumb.jpg.85cfd73530a67bd04f164f4e406f1a69.jpgTrnFrank2.thumb.jpg.7057ccb2d211a668095cf0cfa4824e27.jpg

Frank was all lit up and smiling as he explained how he thought the sound of that target was so smooth and clean, he was pretty sure it would be nonferrous.  It’s just a matter of it being the right kind of non-magnetic metal, and it was.

The other Axiom guy, poor Randy from Oregon, we noticed his detector on occasion would act up and then work fine.  We limped him through until the 3rd day when Lunk handed him his own Axiom detector.  Thanks’ Lunk for doing so, as Randy didn’t even purchase his unit from me.  Hey, that’s just part of why I and many others feel, my team of Experts is the best out there.  Having a detector run flawlessly is a big part of self confidence and if you are newer to the game, it’s such a letdown.  Well Randy didn’t have to worry now as Lunk’s Axiom is a proven golden winner and those Special Settings Lunk has hidden in the menu (just joking) came through 2X for Randy.

20231105_112357.thumb.jpg.51bbd18d53f72de0abbd3d0296629e61.jpg20231105_112411.thumb.jpg.b2b5adedf41fe3a32c60edd91540fff0.jpg

Randy with new confidence in a properly running Axiom digs a nice chunky, semi rounded, solid, Rye Patch nugget.  What’s even more impressive is about 5 minutes later and less that 5 feet away is his biggest prize, see pics.  Yes that’s a water worn, thick, soft, yellow, heavy metal, 3.2 gram, gold nugget.  Randy is a mostly quiet kind of guy changes to a little more bubbly of a character while he explains to the rest of us how he found his 2 nuggets.  It sure will be a nice drive home for him as he rattles his container with gold and confidence in his abilities.

20231105_112426.thumb.jpg.a2a691155adfb38c729f22e671f23fce.jpg20231105_112440.thumb.jpg.a221afc24c880efcfda7b2524d548a7a.jpg

Mike from Idaho was the last student that I know of to find another nugget with his GPX-6000. 

TrnMike3.thumb.jpg.397b6d5326461cba5d3ca1f4bcb4379d.jpg

After that I know of a few my Staff recovered as the training session winded to a close.

Did all customers find Gold?  No Sir, and we are quite blunt about the odds up front.  But most did and that’s a good thing.  Did everyone get to hear undug and unknown targets with their own detectors?  Yes and that helps build confidence for those who may not be so lucky to go home with gold.  Remember, my Field Staff/I provide the location and detector education.  We have no clue who will find gold and not, as we don’t know the students and or their capabilities.  We promise each person will have a greater understanding of their detector and it’s capabilities, both good and or bad. No use in using a particular detector in a situation where said machine is weak for such task.  But, so many people unknowing do so and when your detector doesn’t beep on that kind of gold, you’ll never know, because you missed it.  Detector Knowledge and Self Confidence is a big part of Golden Success and not knowing/having it, is like playing poker with a guy who has an Ace up his sleeve.  You don’t believe me, lets play… it’s your deal. Thanks for taking the time to read and any questions, please ask.

Thanks, Gerry

208-345-8898

Gerry's Detectors

http://gerrysdetectors.com/

Gold Nugget Detector Field Training

2022-04-25_151310.jpg

Some great finds and Smiles to match!  Metal detecting/prospecting for Nuggets can be addictive as I’ve enjoyed my adventures since 1979.  I had to run home last Friday and seen the Burn Barrel had a nice crowd and thought you may have had a class going on.  Nice to see others enjoying our Hobby and putting in the time to learn the finer points of filling up their pokes.

LuckyLundy

We most certainly did and as you know if you were down there, the weather was fantastic.  Hopefully we'll catch you next time Lundy and swap some folklore from the well known Prospectors before.

Nice detector training round-up, Gerry. It's always a pleasure to see students learning their machines, building confidence and scoring their first nugget.

Couldn't do it without you.  Much appreciated. 

Can people order one of those Lunk detectors?  It seems to be programmed for gold.  haha

Most certainly can. The price is adjusted though.  "Detector Expert Markup", comes with GPS coordinates as well.  Highly recommend the Extended Friendship Warranty as well.