Huge Minelab Price Increase - And Gold Monster To Come With One Coil?

They decided to raise prices because Minelab wants to help out Garrett in the Australian market. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

Miners Den posted up their current discounted price, compared to the new recommended retail price, which makes the increases look a lot bigger than they are. If you look at the Lost Treasures one that Simon posted up, you'll see the biggest jumps are with the high end gold machines. 

Steve, yes the packout for Gold Monster has changed. Now without the bigger coil, but an extra battery instead. 

Don't know about overseas markets, but here in Oz, nearly everyone I know uses the 5" coil exclusively. Maybe our mineralisation?  

Well, to cut to the chase they are charging a solid $1000 more for a GPX 6000. The price increase is more than most metal detectors sell for. They can’t squeeze a profit out of $7999, one of the highest prices ever charged for a consumer metal detector? It costs $1000 more to ship them? The chips cost $1000 more? Labor costs in Malaysia went up an aggregate $1000 more per machine in Malaysia? Just call me one of the doubters for any anyone trying to rationalize a price increase like that as anything other than a money grab, gouging gold prospectors to subsidize the sale of machines like the X-Terra Pro and X-Terra Voyager at extra low prices.

Yup, it surprises me to hear that everyone in Oz uses the 5” coil. I thought Oz was the land of big men, big gold, and big coils! :smile:

It makes sense to bundle the GPX 5000 with one coil, few use the coils anyway so if they lowered the price and included one coil, I doubt many would complain, raising the price and chopping it back to one coil wouldn't really sit well though 🙂

Well, their Nov 23 and Dec 23 sales will likely be higher than they would have been so they can boast to shareholders of their success which is why they tactically released the new pricing before it kicks in, then they will tank for a significant amount of time after the new pricing regime kicks in.   Nokta's sales will increase for sure because of it.   I can't see it helping the Axiom in Australia though, it's already had its massive price increase when it landed in the country and is a dead duck at that price. 

There has been no sign of the price increasing flowing onto NZ yet, their sales are so low here I doubt it's worth them trying to put up the prices and kill off the few sales they do get, with a worldwide shortage of Manticore coils outside of NZ/AU we have them sitting in stock and few buying them.

Even Miners Den in Australia has reasonable stock of them.

Sorry, we don't have enough 'Minelab Manticore M8 - 8" Coil (10474)' in stock to fulfill your order: we have 11 available. Please change the quantity on order in your shopping cart and click update. 
Sorry, we don't have enough 'Minelab Manticore M15 - 15 x 12" Coil (10454)' in stock to fulfill your order: we have 4 available. Please change the quantity on order in your shopping cart and click update. 

I wonder if accessories are going up too like coils? I would not be surprised, they make more on these coils than they would on the Voyager, a lot more.

Hard work for dealers to sell detectors now, all the freebies and training and whatever they throw in with them to try get sales is just like pissing in the wind.

I have every Minelab I'd want, I doubt I'd want any of their new detectors in the future so I'm all good, mine have turned into quite good investments, never paid full price and now they're mostly worth more than when I got them, not that I'd sell 😛  The only big loss was the Pro-Find 35, someone might give me 5 bucks for it if they can find an alternative use for it? a small portable flashlight? a carrot shaped vibrating thing?  Don't know what they could do with it but it's no good for detecting.

6 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

Don't know about overseas markets, but here in Oz, nearly everyone I know uses the 5" coil exclusively.

I prefer the 5" as well here in New Zealand. Nothing to do with mineralised ground but just a nice sensitive small coil for tight areas. Haven't used the 10x5 since trying it a few times but favoring the 5". An extra battery I would gladly swap out for the 10x5 coil knowing now that I will never be using the 10x5.

D4G

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

The only big loss was the Pro-Find 35, someone might give me 5 bucks for it if they can find an alternative use for it? a small portable flashlight? a carrot shaped vibrating thing?  Don't know what they could do with it but it's no good for detecting.

OUCH! But how do you really feel about it Phrunt? 🤣

Maybe I'm being too pragmatic, but Minelab estimates that the price of gold and silver will only go up, so it adequately increases the prices of its gold machines.....

But .. Maybe I'm wrong... even though the price per ounce of gold has been going up nicely for the last few days...

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yup, it surprises me to hear that everyone in Oz uses the 5” coil. I thought Oz was the land of big men, big gold, and big coils! :smile:

Yeah, absolutely correct....and big mineralization! The 5" is quieter. Even with my 24K, the 6" CC coil was my go-to coil. I wanted a 6x4 DD but couldn't get one for a sensible price anywhere 😞 

Everyone has covered the "speculation" thoroughly, especially Steve and Simon, Thanks all, good read!👍

Personally, if all things were equal among all the major players, I would still buy another brand, over Minelab at this point! Keeping in mind, i'm not a prospector here on Florida's Treasure Coast; primarily a beach hunter! (Used 5000??🤔)! Their quality control, and management "style" has left a bad taste! And there are other's that are working much harder to earn our business! So, I'm content to let my units (800 and 540) fade into the parts bin! The 800 is almost there, as the power button has failed prematurely (won't shut off), and I really don't want to throw anymore money at a third replacement, even at the Pod replacement rate!😵

As for their Military discount, nice, but it's half hearted if it's not for all military vets throughout all the countries being sold! And it's gonna be negated buy price hikes!🍀👍👍

4 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

Maybe I'm being too pragmatic, but Minelab estimates that the price of gold and silver will only go up, so it adequately increases the prices of its gold machines.....

But .. Maybe I'm wrong... even though the price per ounce of gold has been going up nicely for the last few days...

Judging by todays gold price--you/they could very well be right in that thinking.---Todays gold price VERY CLOSE to an all time high.