Harvesting The Wheat After The Cherries Were Picked

8 hours ago, kac said:

I see parts of a hurricane lamp in the mix. Some nice finds there.

Thanks kac, We thought it was some kind of lamp base, really thick brass. House was built ~1670s, and moved in the 1800s. We found some of the foundation bricks in the woods.

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Congrats on such a good hunt again, and I hope you keep getting permissions like those that you have already.

Good luck and good hunting on your next outing.

I finally made it back to Illinois on Saturday and am hoping that I can get in a couple of hunts before the end of the year. I have a beach that people want me to hit to find some items that was lost from several people.

Stay warm and stay safe.

Thanks VL, I have more possible places in my pocket but don't feel I've done these full justice. 🙂

Hope you get to that beach and find some great stuff and make some people happy. Glad you're back for a while also. That's some dangerous stuff you do. 👍

21 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Another nice spot 350 !

I thought oil lamp parts too  !  An IHP is an automatic go back in my book. My total IHP count is zero though so I might be a bit anxious....

6 miles ! wow 😩 Last hunt I traveled about 50 yards , but got a lot more distance getting up and down to dig. 😉Took me almost 3 hours... and the finds pouch was full.  Here's a pic of the really good stuff.   Just kiddin' , there wasn't any.

Well the white is gone so no digging issues today , as long as I don't mind the mud.🥸And have really good rain gear..👍

The storm is visiting here since last night. 3+" rain so far.No spinny winds max 33kt S. Seas 5-8'   Further north (Down East) just multiply all by 2 , up to 50+kt so the northern fleet is on shore hoping winds turn to offshore and they will in pm. Lots of snow in the mtns.,,,,just not here on the coast.🤗 All the wet should be ice by tomorrow morning though.. which means one thing.....ROOT SLAYER !

It ain't over till it's over.

We ended up getting 4.5" of rain, and snow in the morning. That was one nasty nor'easter. 😵20231211_082302.thumb.jpg.9ae349cfa21cb30d066b0e302b15057c.jpg

It was only a dusting that will be gone by lunchtime, but it's nice to see some snow, we usually don't get much.20231211_072051.thumb.jpg.fd90a500dc124e79142017944614d90c.jpg

I'm hoping to get back to those spots later in the week, it may hit 50 a couple of days this week, but I have to wait for the high winds to start drying the surface, this place is like a sponge. The day after the day after a rain is usually dry enough to not get totally stuck in the mud.

You should have found a few IHPs, your area is certainly old enough for them. 🤔 On the Deus they come in lower than copper memorials, but I will usually dig anything around those numbers. 🙂 The detectorists I know of here are silver snatchers, they don't even bother with copper.

Looks like your on a roll in more ways than one! 100 day's won is on the horizon!🎉 I'm starting the rumor that Steve gives out a gold coin (Or nugget) for every 100 days you win!!😜🍀👍👍

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

You should have found a few IHPs, your area is certainly old enough for them. 🤔 On the Deus they come in lower than copper memorials, but I will usually dig anything around those numbers. 🙂 The detectorists I know of here are silver snatchers, they don't even bother with copper.

It's stopped here now ? I think. A few gusty spurts remaining and a lot of standing H2O . Them Cherry Pickin' Snatchers were  here the day after the fair, I guess hoping for jewelry ? They probably already pulled all the silver in 1965 ......🤔

The fair has been going on here for IIRC 144 years . I found about 100 memorials and a ton of zincs , but not one IHP.  Guess my odds are getting to one to one sooner than later at this point.  All those pennies plus clad dimes and tokens  all in such close ID range ...  Cuz ,I must have them all ! arrrrrrrrrrr.🏴‍☠️  I dig .  

I don't pass up much and still dig at least half of the really iffy signals hoping for one IHP   Got a "couple" pieces of aluminum working my nickel pile or maybe something not just plated yellow too ? Curse of a thousand years on the company that used those gold colored pull tabs !  

Permissions are like a box of chocolates . Ya never know what the next dig ,,  digs up !  (In your case a semi trailer full of 5# boxes of chocolates ! ) 

I've been saving a trail I found through the woods around here for last . Needed the root slayer.......and Santa just put one in my trunk a while ago......  Bad Santa !😎

Temps dropping again soon .  

1 minute ago, rvpopeye said:

I've been saving a trail I found through the woods around here for last . Needed the root slayer.......and Santa just put one in my trunk a while ago......  Bad Santa !😎

Ya best get out there, you'll be off the naughty list by next Christmas if you slay some roots a little early. 😏 And return some jewelry 🤣

22 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks, I love the really old stuff too, even if it's bits. 😀

I did find that one small brass button so there's hope, going back to hit the turn zones, and look at the field below the house where I got the button. Had to make sure the guy at the bottom of the hill knew who I was and doesn't release his dogs on me 😅

The place I got the spectacle buckle also deserves another look, it'll be later next week after 5 inches of rain soaks in. Supposed to get high winds when the front comes through, that will start the surface drying anyway. 🤔 Going from the 60s to the 40s. 😵

When the top of the soil dries out, but deeper in the soil is still wet, I find that to be the best time for getting deep stuff. Too much surface moisture (for me) has never been a good thing. I'm hoping it's good for you in that buckle area.

3 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

When the top of the soil dries out, but deeper in the soil is still wet, I find that to be the best time for getting deep stuff. Too much surface moisture (for me) has never been a good thing. I'm hoping it's good for you in that buckle area.

I find the second day after a rain to be best, especially if it is a lot. We got nearly 5" of rain yesterday, so I'm probably going to wait until Wednesday this week. My yard is still soupy but it also was farmland. 👍 Thanks for the good wishes! 🙂