Transferring Old Detector Graphics... (update)

Update: Thanks to the good advice here I was able to remove the stickers from my cracked detector cover without damaging them. I applied heat from the inside of the old cover to protect the stickers from damage but I did overheat the plastic itself which is not a problem since it was cracked anyway. Any advice on what adhesive would be best for attaching the graphics to the replacement cover?

I recently found a new control box cover for my old White's PI Pro detector but it is just clear plastic. I'd like to remove the decals/labels from the old cover (pictured) and put them on the new cover. Is there a solvent that would break down the adhesive without damaging the decals? Thanks for any suggestions on this.

IMG_20231114_063811.jpg

IMG_20240103_134835.jpg

IMG_20240103_135515.jpg

IMG_20240103_135725.jpg

• Like 2

I would sure take a good clear photo first. If it gets damaged you may be able to use that to create a new one.   WD40 or rubbing alcohol may be a good first trial. Scrub a small spot of the print with a saturated Q Tip to see any fading of the lettering.

• Thanks 1

Careful application of heat could be the ticket depending on material of the label.

If you don't have access to a heat gun , holding over the stove may also work but not too close and check it often. 

Solvents may be effective but test it's effect on the label first.  

(I completely erased a prized sticker on one of my road cases just trying to clean it !  test ,test ,test ! )  🧐

I like JCRs take a pic suggestion too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe a hot water bath?

• Thanks 1

Oh , just remembered this trick when I didn't have a  heat gun ...

Use any electric tool  enough to heat it up good and hold the sticker at the exhaust port ...it worked ,,,eventually. The drill was getting a little red but the show must go on !  And it wasn't my drill LOL.  Actually it wouldn't have stopped the show but the key player left me alone and went away....

• Haha 2

I agree with JCR, take several good clear photos ofthe stickers before attempting to remove them. Is the sticker paper or plastic? A careful use of a heat gun or hair dryer and some tweezers starting on a corner may do the trick. Just start with the lowest heat setting first to see if there is any release without melting or burning.

If you do get the stickers off or need to mount the photos you'll need to get some photo grade spray adhesive to make it stick to the inside of the lid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another option for decal image preservation and reproduction is to find someone with a good color scanner and scan the decal (along with some type of scale for reference).  This will produce a nice digital copy without possible parallax issues or tilt issues from a camera.  If a scanner is  not available, the camera idea would work well if a tripod was used to stabilize the cameral and allow for the camera to be set parallel to the object. 

Yet an additional option is to find a local custom decal maker and ask if they could reproduce the decal or if they have any suggestions for removal.  Unfortunately a one-off decal may be expensive. 

Just a little food for thought.  Best wishes for success on your project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I agree with JCR, take several good clear photos ofthe stickers before attempting to remove them. Is the sticker paper or plastic? A careful use of a heat gun or hair dryer and some tweezers starting on a corner may do the trick. Just start with the lowest heat setting first to see if there is any release without melting or burning.

If you do get the stickers off or need to mount the photos you'll need to get some photo grade spray adhesive to make it stick to the inside of the lid.

Thanks GhostLight, The stickers appear to be vinyl or plastic and are mounted on the outside of the box.

• Like 2

One other random thought:  I wonder if Centerville Electronics, the service and parts supplier for White's (either east or west coast branch) might have a new old stock decal?  Seems like it might be worth a call before other avenues are pursued. 

• Like 4

What about the opposite....use the cold spray in a can. It basically neutralizes the adhesive and stickers/decals should come off very easily with little to no stickiness. Definitely worth a go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1