Mf Machines On Mineralized Black Sand Salt Beach. Update 4/8 Legend, Manticore, Nox 900.

2 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

These are the settings that he uses in the black sand.  I have compared signals with him in heavy black sand and can't hit targets at depth that his Deus II hits hard. 

I am clearly running with more Black Sand/Minerals here. 

We have the same Audio Response of 6.......But I cannot get my Sensitivity past 91 with either the 9" or 13" coil. 

What is the Offset??? 

Any idea why he is running his Salt Sensitivity so low at 3?  Does this allow him higher sensitivity.?? 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, midalake said:

I am clearly running with more Black Sand/Minerals here. 

We have the same Audio Response of 6.......But I cannot get my Sensitivity past 91 with either the 9" or 13" coil. 

What is the Offset??? 

Any idea why he is running his Salt Sensitivity so low at 3?  Does this allow him higher sensitivity.?? 

No idea.  I just asked him for his settings and these are what he gave me.

3 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

No idea.  I just asked him for his settings and these are what he gave me.

I mentioned your questions to him.  He said that he does not run an offset and to be sure that you enable magnetic reject.  He says if you go slow you will hear the good targets.  He was out in the big storm today with 4 other guys.  Heavy black sand.  All five of them were swinging Deus II's and all five got gold.  I know each guy and they all used to use Equinoxes.  One also has a Manticore and it pretty much stays home as well.

With the 13” coil, I can see why running reactivity at 2 might help…….bigger coil surface plus salt/iron mineralization is begging for higher reactivity. If that enables you to raise sensitivity then it cancels out the depth lost from raising reactivity. 

Salt sensitivity at 3 sounds crazy since it is another depth killer.

I know you are allergic to ground grab ground balancing the Equinox and prefer to run in tracking for good reason.

I also understand that you set discrim on Deus 2 above 20???

Have you tried ground grab ground balancing Deus 2? The key to it is to start gently pumping the coil before pressing the pinpoint button especially with a big coil like the 11 or 13X11”. Tom D. never got that nuanced technique from reading his Deus 2 blog. 

I have never liked the tracking ground balance much on Deus 2.

Equinox 800 running tracking ground balance seems to work well for you Dave on the wet sand to surf transition.

I think what this discussion proves is that settings are subject to a number of factors that include not only the specific environment but also the user's preferences.  I remember years ago when we were all using Explorers at the beach and as usual my buddy Frank was beating us all.  He preferred what I think was referred to back than as "ferrous tones."  One day he let me try his detector with his setup and I couldn't find a darn thing.  I wasn't the detector, it was me.  My ear just wasn't set up to hear what he was hearing.  It literally made me nuts to listen to those tones.

That's why these settings discussions, while interesting, really never end up going anywhere for me.  There are just too may variables.  Even here in S. CA, black sand varies a great deal. The guy Jim, who has a YouTube Channel "Fun with Jim," was given a Deus II by XP to try out at his beaches.  He has really struggled with it and keeps returning to his Equinox 900.  Is it the detector? The beaches themselves?  Who knows?  Ultimately at the beach it comes down to what works best for you.  I'll be honest, and you guys will laugh at me for this, in the last year, I have found more gold with my Apex at the beach than my 800 or my Legend.  I have no idea why.  I will admit, I don't test much at all  Simply don't have time or interest.  But if I want gold, I will reach for my Apex first   At least until I can scratch up the $$ to get a Deus II...

18 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I know you are allergic to ground grab ground balancing the Equinox and prefer to run in tracking for good reason.

I also understand that you set discrim on Deus 2 above 20???

Have you tried ground grab ground balancing Deus 2? The key to it is to start gently pumping the coil before pressing the pinpoint button especially with a big coil like the 11 or 13X11”. Tom D. never got that nuanced technique from reading his Deus 2 blog. 

I have never liked the tracking ground balance much on Deus 2.

Yes, Discrimination at 22. 

So, a few questions on ground grab. Yesterday I was hunting with the Equinox, and this has been pretty steady all season. I had to vary the sensitivity about 10 times from 19 to 22 due to Black Sand content.  

Would I not have to ground grab for all of those changes in Black Sand content. ? Any tips you can give me for changing conditions would be helpful. 

I am more than willing to try! There is one section of beach that is stable, and I can give it a try there. 😎

5 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

That's why these settings discussions, while interesting, really never end up going anywhere for me.  There are just too may variables.  Even here in S. CA, black sand varies a great deal.

Agreed Bill. I tend not to try and fix things that are not broken or where I have confidence.  I am lacking that confidence on fringe nonferrous targets with the D2 in Black Sand. Going to experiment some more, and even test your friends' settings. 

17 hours ago, midalake said:

Agreed Bill. I tend not to try and fix things that are not broken or where I have confidence.  I am lacking that confidence on fringe nonferrous targets with the D2 in Black Sand. Going to experiment some more, and even test your friends' settings. 

You have the right mindset, Dave.  That's why I follow your posts.  Your only agenda is to find settings that work for you and you are kind enough to share your results.  Gee, interesting concept, you know?