Two Days, Two Hunts, One Short One Long

Wow, F350, NICE hunt!  I love seeing the old stuff!

That cuff link IS unique; very cool.  And I've never heard of "900 coin silver," used in making silverware.  My experience thus far has been that .900 silver is used for coins, and of course .925, i.e. "sterling" is what silversmiths used for silverware and such.  So, this is a new one for me...

Cool!

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of these days your going to dig up something that earns you a spot in the history books.

Another great set of hunts with some nice items again.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe out there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steveg said:

Wow, F350, NICE hunt!  I love seeing the old stuff!

That cuff link IS unique; very cool.  And I've never heard of "900 coin silver," used in making silverware.  My experience thus far has been that .900 silver is use for coins, and of course .925, i.e. "sterling" is what silversmiths used for silverwar and such.  So, this is a new one for me...

Cool!

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I learned something new too. Apparently 900 silver was all the rage in the early 1800s for its greater strength (albeit no match for farm equipment 😅), and probably lower cost. Silver US coins are 900, not 925 or Sterling, making them a bit less prone to denting and wear.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

One of these days your going to dig up something that earns you a spot in the history books.

Another great set of hunts with some nice items again.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe out there.

Thanks VL,

I think there's a fine line between history books and hot water. 😅 All my finds are from verifiable private permissions, so I'm reasonably confident I'll make the former with a return or donation, albeit posthumously for some.

I'm getting to the point as many do here that what I'm finding is the same old same old, so I'm pretty much only posting now when I find something somewhat spectacular or unusual. Currently for me that happens more often than not.

Like a few others my posts are mostly to inform, educate and inspire metal detectorists. I hope I'm doing that. 🙂 I also get a kick out of reviewing new stuff.

Just like my former music hobby I'm finding that I wish to find or do something legitimately with metal detecting that pays for my investment. Other than thrilling my wife with a nice bauble now and again, that hasn't happened but it's only been 3 years.

I wish that some sort of fair and lucrative relationship between those that find history and those that curate it could be brokered. 🤔 

• Like 2

It looks like it was worth going out . Great you could ! 

Thx 350 , now I can go to bed and dream of thawed ground. It might even come true by the time the singles come back sunday night .  Ice storm here last night.  I did actually look at my shovel and detector earlier .🙄 42 predicted later today 32 now ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

It looks like it was worth going out . Great you could ! 

Thx 350 , now I can go to bed and dream of thawed ground. It might even come true by the time the singles come back sunday night .  Ice storm here last night.  I did actually look at my shovel and detector earlier .🙄 42 predicted later today 32 now ...

Thanks RVP,

I hope you are able to get out as well, I don't have a place to store videos and this site allows attachment via other storage for good reason, so I guess I'll have to keep the funny video of my shovel bouncing off the field out front to send to people privately. 🤣

We had a cold spell here with high winds for a few days, and the first 3" or so was like concrete. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't break my shovel. 😬

This part of Virginia is just enough South and just enough East to have a reasonable assurance of mild winters, now that I'm doing this for fun it makes the winters pass by faster. I prefer relic detecting to beach hunting, but I'm getting better at the latter.

Heck other people's stories and finds get me through days when I can't get out, no good deed goes unpunished... 😁

• Haha 1

Great hunt once again....good job soldier.  🫡

I'll be testing my rcdigs left swing mount today.  I have it mounted with antenna and can say, even at this early point, I'm very favorably impressed.  Full report to follow.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ColonelDan said:

Great hunt once again....good job soldier.  🫡

I'll be testing my rcdigs left swing mount today.  I have it mounted with antenna and can say, even at this early point, I'm very favorably impressed.  Full report to follow.

🫡

Thanks Colonel,

I'm glad someone is going to work with the waveguide, I could have gone to a local beach yesterday, but the lure of relics was stronger. 😀

It doesn't add much weight, and even seems to help counterbalance the 13" coil a bit. I was able to swing it for 7 hours yesterday without regretting it too much today. 😅 The field has all sorts of patches of relics from colonial to modern, it's a really interesting place, and big. Both challenging and easy.

Looking forward to your review, good luck out there! 🍀

• Like 2

A very nice hunt. Being able to trace some background information on a find is always an interesting bonus. The life & work of Mr. Mitchell lives on. Will there be an earthly trace of us left 175+ years hence?

My understanding is that .900 fine "Coin Silver" in the form of actual coins was often provided to a Silversmith by wealth patrons in order to create unique tableware & other decorative items not only because the metal was readily available in that form, but because the transformation made the precious metal Identifiable in case of theft.  It probably pleased the Misses also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1