Well 350 . Yer gettin' an Oh My just for the warm  temperatures !  I used up the rest of yesterday's likes on School of Hoover Nox  so am text smilie posting .. Nice yahd ya got but I think ya know that by now oooie !  Ya pulled some nice ones again ...

Your mention of trash pits would have me seriously thinking of digging for some bottles. With the early history of your sites that means thick glass and crockery, which should survive unbroken better. You may very well be walking over some of the rarest & best preserved items from days long past.  A good long probe probably would not work well in the oyster shells, but you could find the edges of a pit where it would be easier to get down to & into the central part. I doubt there would be much iron in an old dump. It was too valuable & easily re worked by the Blacksmith.

1 hour ago, JCR said:

Your mention of trash pits would have me seriously thinking of digging for some bottles. With the early history of your sites that means thick glass and crockery, which should survive unbroken better. You may very well be walking over some of the rarest & best preserved items from days long past.  A good long probe probably would not work well in the oyster shells, but you could find the edges of a pit where it would be easier to get down to & into the central part. I doubt there would be much iron in an old dump. It was too valuable & easily re worked by the Blacksmith.

Good point, JCR. 🙂

I was chasing down a solid 82 on the Deus, when I got to about a foot the shells kept on coming. I've found quite a few kettle bits in this area, there are a few spots here where oyster shells were buried with iron shards. Oysters get to be kind of fragrant if they're not buried. Just throwing them in the nearby ravine probably wouldn't do 😏

I'll have to return to that spot with a good spade and carefully dig it out, you're right there could be some old bottles in there. Didn't see any glass in my initial dig and never found the iron causing that signal. Most times I'll lift and bypass something like that anyway.

I can imagine what has washed into or been thrown into that ravine as well, problem is it's a precipitous 60' drop straight down, I think I saw a deer path going down into it further away.

An adventure for sure. 

29 minutes ago, Lodge Scent said:

Looks like a GW to me F350! That would be a great find even in a toasty condition.

Thanks LS,

I'll probably never know, but I haven't looked everywhere yet, gotta go over the button book.

Right away I knew it was something special, so I took great pains to spray it to get the dirt off, then daubed it a bit with lemon juice, but since it didn't get any clearer, I coated it with Renaissance Wax to at least slow the bronze disease.20240127_200740.thumb.jpg.c8aac4d47e73d9135a130c2ca3872d1f.jpg

This is as far as I got.

16 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks Doc,

That's something I don't find a lot of here, but it's great to add buttons from the transition to my collection. It's really thick brass. 

They were also on the rare occasion produced in copper.My favorite and exceptionally rare ones to dig out here in the west were embossed and from various San Francisco clothier and mercantile agencies dating from the California gold rush period and beyond.I have also been fortunate enough to dig a fair amount of examples of these so called garment or underwear buttons but what I consider to to be shirt buttons that are in my opinion military related.They are always a welcome site indeed when they pop out of the ground.