12 minutes ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

I really am hoping that the 5000 & E1500 cross over on their strengths and weaknesses so the need for a more expensive small gold detector will be not needed. It is really great the coils our interchangeable.

Someone on the forum once said coils our what sell detectors. 

I'm finding that out. ( Kinda behind the curve I guess). It's like the Chevy 350 engine and the choice of a 4/11 transmission for the torque or something with more highway speed like a 375.

Currently as I see it, us Aussies (and a certain Kiwi) are the field testers for the AlgoForce and its abilities on the goldfields. As it is high summer Down Under there won’t be many guys out there putting in the hours till the weather cools off some.

I have done a couple of short stints with mine at a public detecting area where old gold mines exist and the ground varies from mullock heap pipe clay, cemented conglomerate, heavily mineralised red clay and ironstone. The E1500 is no different to any other PI in fixed gb when it encounters a reactive patch of red clay or deeper larger hot rocks. It will react with a signal that needs investigation. 

The red clay patches can mostly be dismissed with a ‘proper’ reground balance. By that I mean you should wait for the “beep..beep” sound to occur.  This can take up to 6 to 8 pumps of the coil. 

These pesky buried magnetic hot rocks can’t seem to be ground balanced out though, so I needed to dig ‘em out. Geez, they give a nice sound... even a Z or 6000 would have trouble with these.

AAAC0524-A104-48C3-BAE5-0BF0DFF7184F.thumb.jpeg.548cc2c58dfde774ffb3029f18711f84.jpegAnyway I can’t wait to head over to the Victorian goldfields or up north to Tibooburra when the detecting season opens up. I’m sure you guys Up Over will be watching with interest when the gold finds start to appear.

I did some in ground testing with some sub grammers as well and was pleasantly surprised with the results. With practice I’m sure I’ll get better at distinguishing between the crisper response of a true target and the broader sound of iffy ground noise and hot rocks.

1 hour ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

Someone on the forum once said coils our what sell detectors.

Yeah, me....but I was quoting the ex Minelab Sales manager, Ian Aitken.

There may be no great expectation in terms of comparing raw power/sensitivity to the more expensive machines. But this e1500 on paper appears to be close to the 6000 and Axiom in terms of checking boxes for a good exploration prospecting machine. Emphasis added for a reason because it's often overlooked. And in that light, I believe comparisons between them all are apt, and I will in a moment make an argument that in this reference frame it might not be unreasonable to expect it to be better than the more expensive offerings. Key phrase though - in the exploration reference frame. 

Raw depth/sensitivity simply are not the major factors that make a good exploration machine (in some cases they are negatives) - they just need to sufficient. Ground coverage, time savings are much more important. The things that save time also allow more ground to be covered. These things are less EMI to slow you down and reswing/investigate, less ground noise for the same reasons, less weight to swing longer, tailored coil selection, and the ability (however minute) to eliminate some common trash targets that require stopping and digging. 

It's been posted elsewhere, but the main thing missing from the e1500 seems to be autotracking. With this, and the existing availability of coils, and already less weight, I could see a potentially compelling argument where a modified e1500 isn't just in the same league as a 6000 as an exploration machine, but potentially better. Yes, better potentially. Also add the lower price in, plus cheaper versatile batteries. These are less tangible features, but they matter. I find the comparisons between more expensive machines apt for this reason. I'm very curious what an e2500 might look like.

I believe exploration prospecting is the real future of serious detecting in the US. And I also think it will be a major part of the 2nd phase of the gold rush in Africa when geopolitics and gold prices improve.

58 minutes ago, jasong said:

I believe exploration prospecting is the real future of serious detecting in the US.

Aye it has been so downunder in my country for many years, the E1500 will most likely be because of its weight, ergonomics and fixed GB my patch hunter. Fixed GB because when the GB gets out in my country tis time to slow and be more thorough.

10 hours ago, jasong said:

I believe exploration prospecting is the real future of serious detecting in the US.

Could not agree more

The place this detector would fit with me.Couple of ways,have probably 10 gpx coils that would work,the size put in a pack,just to search a bit.If I did hit on a area,then bring in a more capable unit.And the price with not having to buy any coils is a plus.

2 hours ago, Guys gold said:

,just to search a bit.If I did hit on a area,then bring in a more capable unit

Suspect a fair few 'jockeys' will find the E1500 is all the 'horse' they need on their 'course'.😉

Looking forward to the axiom vs af e1500 comparisons