New Permission Made Me Go To An Old One (update 2)

Got a new permission yesterday, a nice older gentleman approached me while I was digging in a small field I call the Jewelry Box. After talking to him for an hour (really more listening), I asked if I could detect his farm and he said that would be fine.

It's a big place, 100 acres but only about half that is field. The coolest thing is that there is an old blacksmith shop sort of on the property, but the landowner doesn't own it.

20240320_095034.thumb.jpg.23c363b3e85e1c34e0d283a51105b2ad.jpg

There were also two older houses far back on the farm, now gone. There is a much newer one there now where the owner lives.

I went there today to scout it and see if there are any hotspots. I managed to find about 3 things, but man that place is clean. It was probably detected in the past. I walked for 3 hours and other than a buckle, a clad dime and a small pin on watch, all I find there was buck shot and shotgun shell ends. 😢

I only searched half of it today, it was warm but the wind was blowing about 20mph with gusts to 35. It was absolutely brutal, walking on bean stalks and getting blown all over the place. I finally gave up and went back to the small field next door hoping to save the day.

I had both the 9" and 13" coils with me, and ran Relic most of the day but switched to the new Tekkna program when the trash got dense. This also prompted me to switch to the 9" coil.

While the 13" has pretty good separation, the 9" really sees so much less ground it can pick targets a bit better.

Ended up with some pretty good stuff, the last 3 hours I searched my small field and scratched a few more good finds.

Here's what I dug:

20240320_194110.thumb.jpg.e76cc271ac19bc4e0fcd633c3e20ff5a.jpg

Some sort of famous person spoon, a large brass buckle used to hold a strap on the pin, a General Service button.

Got a 1937 wheat and the small gold plated watch near the shop, the brass buckle in the back of the field.

The 1943 war nickel, the incredibly detailed buckle among other things came from the small field, it was a tough but decent day.

Trash in the small field was horrendous:

20240320_180157.thumb.jpg.d13e7354fb83d5484202310740199a2b.jpg

Got a little toy cap gun, sadly broken in half near the barn.

Interesting assortment of finds. Looks like George Washington on the spoon handle. Quite a few War Nickels posted on the forums lately.

10 hours ago, JCR said:

Interesting assortment of finds. Looks like George Washington on the spoon handle. Quite a few War Nickels posted on the forums lately.

Thanks JCR,

I've found two or three of them myself lately, newer detectors seem to hit them better 🤔 

Oddly mine showed up as a 63, not the 85 the others were.

A small update on what I thought was a lapel watch:20240321_095530.thumb.jpg.8c6a3efba4be52c9ec9842099da167f7.jpg

It's a Ketcham and McDougall retractable eyeglass or pencil chain, ca. 1903-1920.

20240321_095443.thumb.jpg.a4a8e6fc519ba5a62eae55e94e80ad7a.jpg

Here is a nice one, this person didn't have it engraved:

IMG_4902_2000x.thumb.jpg.171e4ee324f90b0f69c458c6f683e15f.jpg

This one had the older logo but the newer clasp:764189955_fullsize.jpg.8afb63af8632b5dd0e5fd0f9af9fef6e.jpg

ax_KetchamMcD_899.jpg.97926b379c80095efa13bfc21083f93d.jpg

I really like researching stuff I find, I'm pretty sure the chain is all rusted up inside.

• The title was changed to New Permission Made Me Go To An Old One (updated)

Nice first hunts on a new permission. Them winds can be brutal sometimes. They are the same way beach hunting, you are out in the open. But you ended up with some silver and more cool relics, so a good hunt. Sometimes farms are scraped of some top soil to sell. Maybe that's what happened many years ago and they took a lot of the goods with them. Although, if you have an excess of iron, then it was probably cherry picked for high conductors.

Did you get hungry while you were out there? 😄 You didn't have to take a bite out of that Lincoln cent. What did it ever do to you? 🤔

56 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Did you get hungry while you were out there? 😄 You didn't have to take a bite out of that Lincoln cent. What did it ever do to you? 🤔

Isn't that how you check to see if it's real? 🤔

After 2 hours of walking around the field and crossing it diagonally, I had to have a bite. I heard nothing but the occasional big iron blast. 😅 Spent another hour in another part and found even less.

Going to go back there and check the other half on a better day, that was too much walking for nothing. 😵 At least I had the smaller field next to it that had plenty of stuff. 🙂

Excellent research results for an interesting item. That is half the fun and what brings the past to life, making it real.  Thanks

That is starting to look like the trash I bring back…😄

57 minutes ago, Geologyhound said:

That is starting to look like the trash I bring back…😄

Yikes! Starting? If this area wasn't so full of broken bits of everything, but had so many interesting bits as well, I wouldn't dig all non ferrous. 😅