Charles Garrett & The Coming Storm

In the relatively "short" time I got to personally know Charles Garrett, he was all the goodness people long praised him for. I began metal detecting 4 years after Garrett went into business. I started using Garrett metal detectors in 1978 and I've looked up to Charles Garrett as my mentor ever since... But not just for his metal detecting adventures, but for his willingness to teach others and just be a friendly, unassuming, down-to-earth kinda guy. I miss that era when I would get a secret phone call to test a new detector. He once offered me employment at Garrett, only to be turned down because I loved where I live so much. I often wonder what my working life would have been like had I accepted. I used plenty of other metal detector brands in my lifetime as well, but I find it personally comforting to be now using only the brand I started with.

Like everyone else I'm anxious to know what Garrett will be introducing. If it is as good or better than the Apex I currently use, I can't wait. For me, the Apex has been a really well thought out performer, because for me, sophistication is simplicity... I like to hit the field swinging! I have always enjoyed Garrett's careful engineering and rugged construction. Testament is their solid 60 years in our hobby/sport.

Since Garrett is celebrating their 60th Anniversary, I find it fitting they possibly introduce a new detector this month... Charles Garrett arrived and departed this world in the month of April. But like everyone else, I can only guess at what the newest Garrett will be like and when it will arrive. To me, "A Storm Is Coming" says the new detector will hopefully follow in their "All Terrain" tradition. I hope they keep it lightweight, ergonomically sound, and for those of us over 70... A large, simple display! This all is akin to being young again! Bravo Garrett!

I have both books. They are excellent and just as relevant today. They went a long way in getting me started on a solid foundation. 

Hi Steve, JCR, and Everyone,

Normally I don't frequent or join forums, but yours has shown itself to be a good informative community where its members respect each other... A nice place to be! Wow, thank you for the compliments on my books and their continuing relevance. That was my impetus for writing them long ago. Fact is, my close friend and co-author of MDA&T Joe Patrick is responsible for introducing me to your community! Sadly both books are long out of print, but I'm still pleased to hear people find them helpful, even noteworthy. While I may not be current on many detectors anymore, I still enjoy giving advice and opinions on metal detecting, yesterday and today. Steve... Your own intelligence, operational savy and sense of community hasn't gone unnoticed! Well done, I'm glad be to onboard and to help if I can!

A very sincere welcome Bob, you will be a real asset to the forum.   A wealth of knowledge.  

The arrival of this storm is highly anticipated! 

Thank you! I would imagine there is already a wealth knowledge here beyond what I could add, but thank you for your praise just the same! It will be interesting indeed to see what is introduced in the celebration of Garrett's 60th! I'm sure Charles would be proud.

Bob,

A welcome to you as well.  It's nice to hear from another satisfied Apex owner.  I have always felt that it never got its due and despite my owning other detectors it is the one that I swing almost all of the time.  For me it is just more fun to use.

Looking forward to your posts when the Storm hits...

Bill

Thank you Bill! I am also a former field test contributor like yourself. I did my best to always write a "read between the lines" report!

I think the Apex "suffered" from being introduced as part of the ACE lineage and not under its own stature. People probably assumed it had medium performance as a result given its price point. There were a few glitches in the beginning for some users that probably scared potential buyers away as well. I purchased and have owned the Apex since its introduction and have done very well with it. I only had one problem that was my fault... I was doing the update and accidentally knocked out the USB cable during the firmware transfer which caused the screen to "brick"! Garrett repaired my unit, updated it for me and I could hardly wait to get it back. Matter of fact, if the new Garrett coming doesn't appeal to me, I plan on using the Apex for as long as I can, it has been that good to me. You are so correct, it is a fun detector to use. It does not kill your arm, especially using the MF Ripper coil! The well designed display is amazingly good and it is at it's best in direct sunlight, hard to believe. The tactile control/menu system is very thought out and is a non-fiddler's paradise. Right now my opinion says it is the "best bang for the buck" for me currently. Here's one of many good finds using the Apex made three years ago...

3-22-2021Apex2.jpg

Welcome to the forum Bob, 

Glad to have your years of experience join us here! Looking forward to your opinions, and experience on anything detecting, as there is always more to learn!🍀👍👍

Thank you Joe!... I got to thinking about what I wrote above and the photo attached and you all are probably thinking... Garrett plant! 🙂 No not really, I assure you I'm not. The obverse/reverse photo composite is real and found nearly 10" deep in sandy loam with the same Apex I've used for the last four years. For the last 14 years I'd been struggling to find a detector that suited me. When you are used to publicly field testing a myriad of detector brands over the years, you see a lot of features, strengths and weaknesses, which furthers your indecision to find something that works for you. I won't mention the other brands by name, all of them very good, but for the most part all were unnecessarily heavy, overly complicated, and got you to wonder how much do the CEO's take home! 🙂

It had been awhile since I looked serious at Garrett again and around 2013 I bought the Garrett AT-Pro. Wow I thought, this isn't bad! I could slosh around in the mud on rainy days, come home and give us a bath with the garden hose! The audio reminded me of my analog old Garrett Groundhog which I loved. But the depth just wasn't as deep as I thought it could be and the display readout was too small for aging eyes. Then came the AT-MAX with a more complex shift menu, greater depth, slightly larger readout, a little more weight, digital audio, but not tethered by a headphone wire and wireless probe audio.... WhooHoo! I was getting closer!

Awhile later, my pal Joe Patrick calls me and says, "Have you seen the new Garrett?!" I think I was in love at first sight! Sleek low-center of gravity control housing, a lighter 2D 11" elliptical coil, redesigned display and menu system - large and small enough to match my age, a wireless system with no discernible latency, integrated lithium charging, firmware updates, single/multi-frequency operation.... Yahoooo! OK, I lost my slosh and rinse capacity, but I never really cared because I never was a water hunter to begin with. But it is nice not to worry about water incursion. In short, a detector I could spend my time hunting with and not playing menu roulette.

In the interim I saw some good American metal detecting companies leave us. It got me to thinking how good and secure it was to be back with my roots and more satisfied than I have been in years.... Nut shell!

OK, I have made a couple of mods to the Apex for comfort reasons and that is an AT-Pro foam handgrip and carbon fiber rods with camlock adjustment! Ha, always a "tweaker", but that's another book in itself!