Scd2300 First Time Out With My 9 Year Old

matt

Picked up an SCD2300 for my son from a fellow member of this forum right before Christmas. Thanks Allen!

Finally made it out for just a few hours today with my 9 year old son. Third target, a nice little picker! First 2 targets were the tiniest shot I have ever found with a detector. I am amazed at the response from the SDC on such a tiny target. We were working around a small bedrock outcropping and I was teaching him what to listen for and how to retrieve a target. After the first two targets were lead shot within about 12 inches of each other, the third target had to be shot also (within the same area). I wanted to move on and he said no way let's dig it. About an inch into the decomposing bedrock the target had moved. He grabbed a handful of dirt and had the target in his hand. The target was small and he was having a little trouble figuring out how to split the dirt between his hand and the scoop, but when he finally had a few small bits of dirt in the scoop I could see a glint of yellow. Once he realized it was gold he kept saying I told you we should dig that target! Dad you wanted to walk away! I will probably never hear the end of it. Well, he was right!

We spent about 3 hours out in the Motherload on an absolutely beautiful afternoon. Temps on my truck showed 60 degrees. We moved to another spot that I found several nuggets at a few years ago to give the sdc a go to finish the day. Steve H. you, Chris R., and Steve W., and Mike G. were there the day I found the nuggets at this spot. First target was the tiniest piece of gold I have ever found with a metal detector. It does not even register on the scale. I didn't take a picture of the tiny piece cause it probably would not even show up in a picture it was so tiny. I am amazed that any detector could find a piece of gold so small. I doubt it will even register on my gmt.

We had a great day and my son should be able to really use this detector on his own next time out. He took to it like...on... Funny thing he found some old rusty sardine cans and a broken old flashlight to take for show-and-tell at school tomorrow along with his piece of gold. Looking forward to getting out again!

IMG_6397.JPG

IMG_6398.JPG

Great find and a great way to get your son started on an adventure that could last a lifetime.

Norm

Thanks for the replies guys!

Norm-He has adventure in his blood. It's fun to see and makes me realize that I need to work less and get out more often! He really excels in youth sports, but nothing beats being out in mother nature. We plan to spend a lot of time in the mountains this summer.

Chris-This summer we plan to spend a lot of time up in Downieville. Not only detecting, but getting the Keene hydro air all geared up to use. I really hope we can spend some time together this season. The high water has already altered some of the gravels. You are always welcome with us.

AU_Solitude-He takes to things easily and the only thing he complained about was that his arm hurt. I told him let's get out more and it will feel just fine after a couple more trips.

Fred-you are right!

All I can Say is the "Quote of the Day"...    Stick a Fork In Him He's Done!  :wink:

Tremendous Post!

Dreams do come True!

Thanks for sharing!