New Rule - Number Of Posts Before Being Allowed To Use Classifieds

Steve Herschbach

When I created the Metal Detecting & Prospecting Classifieds the forum was smaller and less busy. I set it up initially so that any forum member can post in the Classifieds.

So far that has worked well, or at least I have had no complaints. However, I am seeing a definite uptick in the number of people who join the forum for the sole purpose of placing an ad.

This is in theory a good thing - new forum members! Unfortunately it does mean people with no forum history at all can place an ad one minute after joining, and that invites scammers.

I have therefore just added a provision whereby only forum members who have made at least two posts on other forums can place an ad in the Classifieds. This is a free service intended for forum members in good standing, and a benefit for active, posting members. That provides for at least a minimal level of protection from someone trying to scam other forum members. I will generally be able to spot people who join and make a couple worthless posts for no other reason than to bump the count to place an ad.

Anyway, this is kind of provisional, and I can remove the requirement, or make it more difficult by raising the post requirement even higher. The bottom line is if everyone is very careful to properly vet potential purchases this is not necessary, but I do worry a bit about somebody being taken advantage of and want to do what is reasonable to try and prevent that without being too draconian.

Am I being to paranoid? Everyone comfortable with it the way it has been? Or is a post limit a good idea? Thoughts, opinions, feedback? 

I think it's a good idea Steve.-----Having a set # of posts (and perhaps time registered) on the Forum before being qualified to make a FS ad.-----Also feedback info on an individual (seller) that is made available to a potential buyer is (IMO) a very good idea.------Most of us old timers know each other (if only through the forums) & the above isn't of any concern--they have past the test of time AND earned the respect.-----BUT-----It's the newcomers to a forum that come on/register to IMMEDIATELY post a FS ad that need to have some sort of accountability before hand.-----I know (most) of these people are good, honest people---and I also know that there are a few rotten apples in every barrel.----Bottom line---Buyer beware & deal with someone you at least know SOMETHING about.-----That's my two pennies worth on the subject.---------Del   

Perhaps the requirement should be that a new user must create two thread topics in other forums before access to the classifieds is granted....to get to know them better and prevent an easy spam. Makes it a bit more difficult and public when they can't get away with two posts that consist of, "Nice find!", "Good hunt!", etc.

I am ok with whatever. It's not a problem until it is.

I agree with the 10 post minimum. 

2 posts is nothing for a scammer.

10 posts is nothing for someone that actually wants to be here and adds as well as finds value here. This is a great forum, hate to see that change.

Guest Jennifer

10 posts is the industry norm. I was actually hoping you'd put this in place as I just noticed a 5000 get listed by a brand new user with a VERY LOW price.