Steve, Is There A Waterproof Plug For The Nox....

Dan(NM)

16 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Steve.......maybe i missed it...... but out of the box, IF they dont have those yellow phones i cant get in the water neck deep correct?   That waterproof cable/adapter isnt waterproof on one end.    My only option besides those yellows for deeper water submersion would be to modify that cable putting a CTX connector on it.   I do have the male CTX connector on all my phones so i can use them on both the CTX and Xcals.

Hi dew, please go up seven posts in the thread you are on now...

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/5139-steve-is-there-a-waterproof-plug-for-the-nox/?do=findComment&comment=54028

So ...... no.   Our only option will be to modify the cable that is provided with a CTX connector.   Im told their priority is to get the 6" coil out.   I guess im taken back...... all they needed to do was put an adapter on the already undesired yellow phones.   These phones have been around for years.   Had they used the CTX connector we would have been in business........ their yellows, GGA, and the ones eveyone makes.

Reliable waterproof adapters vs. connectors that are integral to the headphone cords are typically expensive to make, so Minelab is probably looking at an expensive accessory item without a large customer base and that would detract from Equinox headphone sales which is probably an even lower priority than the actual waterproof Equinox headphones themselves.  Heck, who knows when Minelab is going to get the announced non-watertight 1/8" to 1/4" pigtail adapter out, much less a custom watertight connector that will only work with a unique pair of watertight phones.  I'm ok with Minelab waiting to get these out by the time the water warms up up this way, but I know you Florida folks want to get in the water now.  Lol.  Guess you will have to just keep your heads dry for now.  We all know what a poor business decision it would have been to make the CTX audio accessories compatible with the Equinox...  Also, I would think Minelab would have the resources to be able to focus on getting these accessories out in parallel rather than in serial, one-by-one, so I really can't imagine that the 6" accessory coul is actually holding up release of watertight headphones, but you never know.

Can I ask what may seem like a silly question?  I have never used underwater detectors and headphones but if the Equinox speaker is anything like the Gold Monster speaker then I am guessing you could actually hear it reasonably well underwater? 

I'm sure in a fast running river or a surf break it might be a bit harder but in a lake, slow flowing river or a calm beach couldn't you just hear it?  

I did warn you it was a silly question so stay calm :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Can I ask what may seem like a silly question?  I have never used underwater detector7s and headphones but if the Equinox speaker is anything like the Gold Monster speaker then I am guessing you could actually hear it reasonably well underwater? 

I'm sure in a fast running river or a surf break it might be a bit harder but in a lake, slow flowing river or a calm beach couldn't you just hear it?  

I did warn you it was a silly question so stay calm :biggrin:

You could easily hear it IF your head was under the water, but if the speaker is in the water and your head in the air, most if not all the sound waves bounce off the air-water interface and reflect back in the water, so you won't hear much if anything.  Certainly not enough to facilitate detecting.  If it vibrated on the other hand...like the new Nokta waterproof detectors.

Sorry, should have clarified that.  I did mean "couldn't you hear it IF your head was underwater too?"  Snorkeling, diving, etc.  

Steve's post was clear that once the pod goes underwater you couldn't hear the speaker anymore - but that's if your head was out of water.  

For those that dive in lakes and on a calm beach wouldn't it be better to be able to just hear the detector's speaker rather than be wired to headphones?  

Actually as a certified SCUBA instructor I can tell you that hearing and most sounds are quite muffled underwater. And there are other sounds to compete with, like wave/water noise. There is no way I detect underwater without underwater headphones. In fact, getting enough volume underwater with underwater headphones is a problem with many underwater detectors that lack a volume control. Plenty loud out of water, then near impossible to hear underwater. Long story short I am sure you could work in a quiet pond and hear the Equinox underwater but I can't imagine being able to effectively hunt like that myself. Then again my hearing sucks!

If you had to give it a go, set the audio pitch as high as possible.

Chase i realize this was a business decision NOT using the CTX connector.  It affected people like GG as well, who is now looking for the adapter.   My thing was.... they had the CTX ones already and many die hard ML fans supported them by paying that crazy price for the CTX, we even adapted our Xcal end caps to use those connectors.   They are pretty reliable connectors.   So my point was i guess, that if you are going to change it at least have something available for the red headed step children lol.

The purpose of good headphones is to hear extremely weak signals that the external speaker isnt capable of responding to......and there is just to much noise in the Ocean or Gulf... a lot of times even with phones on.  It also saves batteries as Steve has said.  Ears full of water/pressure changes things.   Also.... even us FL guys right now arent willing to stick our face in 50ish degree water.