Beach Sand And Coil Cover Equinox

I was cleaning up my gear for the trip to OZ this year when I noticed that there was a ton of beach sand under my coil cover.

Took me a while to get it all out.  There are depressions in the very center of the coil that are a great place for sand to pile up in. The thick part of the coil that goes from 12 noon to 6 0clock.

I think before I hit the beach with it again i will put some clear RTV caulking on it and then put the coil cover on.

I also have a couple of 1'x1'x 0.0625 " pieces of Lexan coming to make 2 coil covers. I will glue them right on my coil cover like I did the 19" ZED coil.

Doing this so i can scrub the ZEQ in OZ without getting hung up !

Cheers mates.....:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paul i thought about doing some beach detecting as i am over in monterey right now but with loading the trailer  i decided to leave all my gear in wyoming ,bad decision on my part.

On 3/27/2018 at 6:21 PM, vanursepaul said:

I also have a couple of 1'x1'x 0.625 " pieces of Lexan coming to make 2 coil covers. I will glue them right on my coil cover like I did the 19" ZED coil.

Over a half inch thick Lexan coil cover - those babies will never wear out! I am going to make some solid bottom Lexan covers for my Equinox also but I think I will go a little thinner than that. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I suspect 0.625" is a typo.:wink: I`ve just done a season with 0.8mm PC (Lexan) on the Z coils and I`d reckon they`ll do another at least, light as a feather tough as nails.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Over a half inch thick Lexan coil cover - those babies will never wear out! I am going to make some solid bottom Lexan covers for my Equinox also but I think I will go a little thinner than that. :smile:

hahahaha..you dirty dog you..... Givin me a go there eh mate?

Maybe a half inch thick would eliminate any falsing potential---- or any sound at all :rolleyes:

For those thinking of making a skid plate the commentary here is based on a previous thread about the GPZ 19” coil...

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/4025-most-effective-19-inch-coil-cover/

I am going to do this myself. However, I an not sure yet if I will glue the polycarbonate sheet to the existing scuff cover or direct to the coil bottom. I think I will get another coil and try both, as my goal is to determine which will work best nugget detecting at high gain to alleviate coil knock/falsing issues in Gold Mode at max sensitivity.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the link Steve.  That answered my question, I will be using a good grade of silicone to bond the lexan to the coil and forego using the factory coil cover.

Tom