Zero Voltage Transmission (ZVT)

jasong

. And makes me wonder if we might see timing upgrades via program updates rather than new physical models, but that is 100% speculation on my part.

When the 5000 was released I was told not to buy this one but the next detector after that as it would have SD card upgrades for it , keeping the unit you have and buy the card upgrade , Now ML have used the X-change software to do much the same thing , upgrade unit firmware via the app 

Be nice if they did that and there is no reason why they cant/wouldnt do it later down the track 

Marty

In an instant of time, when the transmitter instantaneous output sine wave voltage that is driving the antenna element, crosses the zero voltage level on the way to the next expected maximum peak postive voltage level, is then reversed or switched at the ZERO VOLTAGE point, or crossover, so that it then returnes back to its previous maximum negative peak voltage level instead of the next expected postive peak voltage level. That instantaneous antenna polarity switching function introduces a timing marker just as the pulse cutoff function introduces a timing marker in a pulse induction system. The antenna polarity switching, which must occur at the transmitter instantaneous output zero voltage level, thus allows one to label the system as "ZERO VOLTAGE" detector. It's a new signal processing process. This allows a VLF continuous wave detector to behave exactly as a PI system.

Interesting Hotrock.... But now I'm even more confused.  :D

It sounds like you are describing full wave rectification like is used in most AC to DC power supply converters, or am I not understanding what you said correctly? There is definitely a big difference between that and what was shown in the patent though, so that patent is not the "big picture" if this description is on point, which may be why its so hard to determine what "Zero Voltage Transmission" actually is from the patent alone.

I'd love to see an actual sample waveform, definitely looking forward to hooking a scope up to the 7k someday.

In full wave rectification, all the negative or positive 1/2 cycle waves are clipped or missing. If the negative swings are clipped or missing, the rectifier output is a positive DC voltage. If the positive swings are clipped the output is a negative DC voltage.

The picture you have in mind is valid except for the metal detector transmitter output, only one cycle is clipped or removed then everything returns to normal as it was before the single cycle was clipped. The one missing 1/2 cycle is the introduced timing marker used in signal processing time delays, which are functions of metal target materials.

Ok, I can kind of see where you get VLF type sensitivity and PI depth from that general idea. I'm still trying to wrap my head around why that idea is so very different than the patent though.

Is there another document that you are looking at that you could share?

White's was issued a patent recently on a hybrid VLF/PI design but I am not sure how related they are. Still, good information to be gleaned http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/118-half-sine-metal-detector-technology-hybrid-induction-balance-pulse-induction-metal-detector/

Hmm interesting on White's, glad to see they are still in the game. Sounds like my night just got booked up with more reading, research and probably another patent deciphering haha.

Interesting times in the detector world lately. I was too young (or not born yet) to take part in any of the early PI/VLF releases, glad to be around for whatever we see in this next stage of detector technology and being part of it this time around as it unfolds.