Equinox And Emi

So today I visited my favorite gold beach. It did not comply with my requests :laugh: What I did notice today is how the EMI from a very close train effects the performance of the Equinox. I was using Beach 1 and usually run my sensitivity at 22. Before, during and after a train passing I have to drop sensitivity to 20. It then quiets down enough to hunt....BUT, quiet as it is, I believe the depth is affected very much. I hunted from 8AM to 2PM (lots of train passes), as that is the bulk of the commuter and cargo runs. The second picture shows some clad. That was all the good targets during that EMI cycle (6 hrs.). When the trains start to have large gaps between runs, (from 2-4pm), and there is no major EMI emitted from the rails, then you can see in the first picture the results. Lots of wheats, some copper memorials, 2 war nickels, and 4 silver dimes and a silver quarter. Most of those coins were 8-12" deep.  So today it seems that my depth and ability to hear the deeper targets with EMI present, is very compromised even though the machine runs smooth. I always new EMI cuts performance, but to see it first hand is an eye opener.

DSC00311.JPG

DSC00310.JPG

19 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yeah, I am sure silent EMI wreaks havoc with depth performance.  Also, at the beach, I was surprised at how much depth loss there is just going from 20 to 15 on sensitivity.

I guess there is a price to pay for stability. One of my biggest disappointments is by the time I really get to know a machine, they come out with a better one. :laugh: Then I have to re-learn all the new ways to get maximum performance from it.

My Etrac was really hot on chatty days at a particular site, so much so that I did not want to perform a noise cancel.

This is anecdotal at best, but there could be something to it, the one night I recall getting 4-6 good targets, (Silver coins, musket balls large cents etc.) this was after pounding the site for a good year previously.
These wern't great shallow targets that appeared out of no-where, rather deep fringe targets that gave off questionable, yet positive non-ferrous ID. These targets would disappear if you tried to clean the machine up much. (Or tune out the EMI at that particular site it seems.)

21 hours ago, Alluminati said:

My Etrac was really hot on chatty days at a particular site, so much so that I did not want to perform a noise cancel.

This is anecdotal at best, but there could be something to it, the one night I recall getting 4-6 good targets, (Silver coins, musket balls large cents etc.) this was after pounding the site for a good year previously.
These wern't great shallow targets that appeared out of no-where, rather deep fringe targets that gave off questionable, yet positive non-ferrous ID. These targets would disappear if you tried to clean the machine up much. (Or tune out the EMI at that particular site it seems.)

There' s a fine line on having the right sensitivity to hear the deep, iffy targets. Also having some luck in hitting the target with the best, most responsive part of the coil helps. Add moisture, EMI and minerals into the picture and it's no surprise that we can find deep targets in places we pounded. You must have just had the best balance between low sensitivity and too much sensitivity. I've always pushed my machines into the red a bit, and like hearing a bit of chatter. But too much and it makes it harder to hear the real signal. I always thought the E trac  was a great deep seeker. It really made old pounded parks come alive for many. For me, it did rather well on colonial cellar holes.