Steve Herschbach

Fisher CZX Metal Detector "Ground Breaking Technology"

johnedoe    286

Much the same with the MXT line..... Small changes that haven't really changed the overall sensitivity of the machine.

I have an older MXT... No backlight, no ground grab, .... Works just fine without those features I consider non essential

GB_Amateur    244
On 8/26/2017 at 10:51 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

First Texas has a large engineering staff, and if you add Bounty Hunter, Fisher, and Teknetics up they have not been lacking for "new" detectors. Admittedly however most seem to just be older models under a new label i.e. Fisher F70 rebranded as Teknetics Patriot. 

2006 - Teknetics T2

2007 - Fisher F75

2008 - Fisher F70

2010 - Fisher Gold Bug (Digital)

2014 - Fisher F19

Most models since 2006 seem to be variants of these and other existing models.

If you loosen the definition of 'variant', the F70 is a variant of the F75 and the F19 a variant of the Gold Bug.  Some would even argue the F75/F70 is a variant of the T2, although they can't share coils so that one is a bit of an over-reach.

My (down-to-earth) wish-list for Fisher is to add the features of the F44 to the F19 -- call it the F19.1.  Specifically, multi-tones and programmable (by notch) tones, and the iron-range tone damping (forget what they call it).  While they're at it, make the frequency adjustable for reducing EMI.  No, I don't mean multi-freqency, just frequncy tweeking.

You could argue "why don't you just buy an F44?" which makes sense.  But it operates at 7.8 kHz (I think, from memory) compared to 19 kHz, and that's a signficant difference. 

And don't forget to keep all the nice features of the GB/F19/G2/etc. series, particularly the all-metal (first derivative) performance.  Maybe even throw in digital TID readout when in all-metal (as they do with other detectors, e.g. F75).  That would make Steve H. happy.  Most, maybe all of these mods could be done in software, I think.  Still not trivial but with the team of crack engineers at FT....

Am I asking too much?

• Like 1

Steve Herschbach    7,843
2 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Am I asking too much?

Probably! :smile:

All I want at this point is a 19 kHz F75. Looks like the F19/G2+ is as close as I will get. That being the case I just wish that big number while in all metal mode was the target id number instead of the ground phase.

Now you would think a 19 kHz F75 would be easy and changing the F19 ground phase number to be the disc number instead would be even easier.

And that 19 kHz F44? That would be great!

No breath holding going on here however. I just got my new G2 and that will tide me over until FT takes the wraps off something new. If not then eventually it will get replaced by the either the F19 or G2+.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Rajat
      I always have one question in mind which is the best frequency for silver and gold jwellary or treassure hord at the same time i know 7 to 15 khz is for silver relics tressure 15khz to upper is for gold suppose if i find a cannal full of silver and gold jwellary which frequency is best suited for it 
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Looks funny but there is not far between this video and a decent beach detector at least. Just need the digger scoop arm on the back. Kind of like turning a Roomba loose on the beach!

• By MikePfeiffer

Steve, your a great source for unbiased information. I trust your opinion greatly.  Don't fret over what just happened. Many many people view you as a great resource.
      As you know I have been metal detecting for 30 years. I still consider myself a newbie. However, it is with the same old machine. Back when I purchased my machine we were told it will detect everything, it's a do all machine. I new of prospecting machines, but never knew the difference or seen the demand until I came to this forum. So if you have time, please answer these question. I am going to throw these out as I don't really know how to ask the correct question. What if the difference in a gold machine vs a regular machine? What makes them stand out? I know there is a frequency difference, but what make them stand on when looking for gold? Are they just not tuned for gold?
    • By mn90403
      I got my first metal detector in 1986.  It was a White's Coin Master 6000 DI Pro.  I bought it because I live near the beach and a friend of mine had a friend who was selling them.  I didn't know much about detectors and I used it on the beach in the dry sand only for about 3 years before life happened and I put it away.  I didn't get another detector until 2010 and it was a ML 5000.  Now that I had it I had to start learning about the desert and more about metal detectors.
      One of the first things that I 'noticed' about a detector is that you don't have to be directly over a target to hear it.  You get a sense for a target by coming close.  You get a bigger sense for an aluminum can than you do a quarter for instance.  I've searched and searched over the years for a way to describe this near to target sense which is much greater in the 5000 (PI) and the 7000  (ZVT) than with the Coin Master (VLF).
      Today I was reading an email from Kellyco who is the company that services most Minelabs in the United States.  They also sell most other detectors and give advice to their customers.  The email that I received led me to a reprint of an article: How Metal Detectors Work Reprinted with permission from Modern Metal Detectors.  The full article is here: https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/how-metal-detectors-work#more
      In that article it uses the term Fringe Area Detection and that gave definition to what I had been trying to describe for years.  I had tried to say a coil is like a Nerf ball with many targets off the search area and you are drawn to a target like a moth to a flame.  As it turns out this is just 'fringe area detection' which lets us push our detectors to much greater finds.  I think you will see how many times we have discussed this part of metal detecting without using this term.  The fringe area on my 7000 is larger than the illustration shown.  Here is what the article says about fringe area detection:

Fringe Area Detection
      Fringe area detection is a phenomenon of detection, the understanding of which will result in your being able to discover metal targets to the maximum depth capability of any instrument. The detection pattern for a coin may extend, say, one foot below the search coil. The detection pattern for a small jar of coins may extend, perhaps, two feet below the search coil as illustrated in the drawing on the facing page. Within the area of the detection pattern, an unmistakable detector signal is produced.
      This illustration shows the location and approximate proportional size of the fringe detection area in which faint target signals from around the outer edges of a normal detection pattern can be heard.
      What about outside the detection pattern? Does detection take place? Yes, but the signals are too weak to be discerned by the operator except in the fringe area around the outer edges of the detection pattern as shown in the drawing above. A good set of headphones is a must, if you desire to hear fringe area signals. The next more important thing, is training in the art of discerning the faint whispers of sound that occur in the fringe area. Skill in fringe area detection can be developed with practice, training, concentration and faith in your ability. Develop fringe area detection ability to a fine art and you are on your way to some great discoveries that many detector operators will miss. The ability to hear fringe area signals results in greatly improved metal detection efficiency and success.

Mitchel
    • By LipCa
      Steve,
      Every since you posted that you lose depth when you ground balance, It is in the back of my mind........
      "Ground balancing is a filter and not all that different that the way the discrimination system works. The ground signal or salt signal (or both) are identified and then tuned out. The ground effect is still there, but the detector subtracts it from the overall signal. The key word there is "subtracts". Ground balance methods work by subtracting part of the signal, and all subtractive methods create depth losses of some sort the closer any detected item gets to the "hole" created by subtracting the ground or salt signal. Signals are not perfect but spread over a small range, and so eliminating any signal usually means taking out a small range of signals. "
      I have always tried to keep my detectors ground balanced while using them.... Now I wonder if I should?

Can you put my mind at ease......
    • By Senior Grappa
      If somebody has offered you at option: 1. to reduce the weight of your favourite detector by half 2. to increase its depth by 10% What would you choose?