Last Night A Prospecting Pick Saved My Life

One of the things crusty old guys learn is not to do excessively dangerous stuff - I've known guys who weren't as lucky. Loose rocks sit at what is called the angle of repose - the angle at which they can just stay in place. A little disturbance can bring down a whole slide as you saw.

Seeing quartz veins on Google Earth is an art and the few that can be seen tend to be really large, and many really large veins are what are known a bull quartz - to summarize the quartz contains nothing but bull sh...

Often the richer veins are the smaller ones. In fact in many places pocket gold deposits are called seam diggings - not because the veins are gigantic, but because they are more like little seams.

Sometimes veins will crop out of the ground and be visible, but more often veins get buried by soil, rock slide debris, covered over by brush, etc. The normal discovery procedure in many cases was that miners would find areas with lots of loose chunks of quartz on the ground, and if the quartz had good gold or other valuable minerals, they would dig trenches to find the vein. 

If you would like to see a real quartz vein on Google earth, go to 39 34' 40.91'' N and 120 39' 07.94'' W. This location is a vein on private property  with a series of workings, it pinches and swells but at the point I have given you coordinates for, the vein is about 20 feet wide. The location is just NW of a small town in northern California named Sierra City. The mine produced lots of gold, but it was small stuff too tiny to see with a metal detector. Still it makes a good example of a vein visible on Google Earth. Although you can only see this vein in a few spots, it goes on underground for about 3000 feet - more than a half mile.

• Like 7

jeez...sounds like reality TV to me, should have had the camera rolling, season 1 episode 1, our star "tboykn" almost dies in massive rockslide nearly tumbling over a 3000 foot precipice saved by agility, panic and a little luck from a plunge spelling certain death and yet the search for gold continues...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Reno Chris said:

If you would like to see a real quartz vein on Google earth, go to 39 34' 40.91'' N and 120 39' 07.94'' W. 

Thanks for this. It's the exact kind of thing I'm looking for. Only way to see if it's real is to get out there!

hey buddy, you ever heard of the buddy system? don't go it alone.

• Like 1

Tom,

I'm glad you are still here to tell your story.  Good for you for getting off the beaten path to find some gold.  Keep at it an you will find some I'm sure.  

I learned my lesson about climbing up a steep incline when I was young.  I was walking along a railroad track with a creek to my right and a cutout rock hillside on my left.  The hillside went up almost vertical with a 2 or 3 ft terrace about every 30 ft in height. I decided to try to climb up to the first terrace.  It didn't seem too bad going up as I was able to find some hand and footholds in the rock but after getting up to the first terrace I realized I would be much more difficult to get down the way I got up.  I could not find my way down from the first terrace so I had to climb up to the second terrace then up to the top and to find a better way down.  I have always been more careful about climbing up a steep hill since.  One can see the handholds and feel for the foot holds going up but the footholds especially are harder to find going down.  One bad thing about life there is a lot of things we can't foresee till we are in a fix.  

• Like 2