Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

History Of Placer Mining In Nevada

I fully expect you to write a glorious addendum to that article by the end of this coming summer.

• Like 3

How did these dredging operations work exactly? I thought Nevada was all desert pretty much and no water for bucket line dredges?

That Nevada has no water would be a misperception on your part Tom. I live in Reno and we have a beautiful river running through the middle of the town. The Manhattan dredge was a very large floating bucket line dredge. There is an excellent picture of it at http://yankee-nevadan.weebly.com/manhattan-nevada.html

http://www.kecnv.com/InterpretiveWorks/ManhattanGulchMarker.pdf

http://www.kecnv.com/InterpretiveWorks/DredgeFlipBook/files/mobile/index.html#1

• Like 1

Updated original post to add production notes, summary, and improved graphic illustrating gold production. Links added to cited references.

Just a comment. I find these reports that talk about gold produced up to 1970 to be somewhat more realistic for my purposes than reports incorporating later production data. Most new reports include production from modern mining that goes after the type of gold I can't find with a gold pan and metal detector. These old reports focus more on the older, richer deposits that are of more interest to the individual prospector. They also tend to be written more for the layman - the new reports like to show off the college educations of the writers. That said, these older reports all cut off between 1960 and 1970 and do not include the latest data.

• Like 2

another good read.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Poured rain here all night in Reno. Supposedly 3-4 feet of snow up in the high country - we will see when the clouds lift!
      We are off to a mild start and I am still out detecting, though I have mostly shifted gears to coin and jewelry detecting. I hope to stay active detecting through the entire winter - if not through mild weather here then by driving to where it is milder.
      It is heading into summer in Oz. Soon it will be too cold here for detecting in northern areas. And soon it will be too hot to go detecting in parts of Australia!
      On the other hand temps are just right for the folks down in Arizona. There is always someplace gold is being found.
      How are those of you who are facing an “off season” planning on dealing with it?
    • By Ridge Runner
      Some may say that any detectable gold will be out of range of any detector by then. Well you have to remember every time it’s rain we have what we call soil erosion. It may not get to the point being like the Grand Canyon but where Rich Hill won’t be a hill anymore.
      The 7000 in another century to us won’t be no more than a BFO does now. Like now we see new technology in a detector coming out that didn’t exist just a year ago.
      I know I won’t see it and I’m sorry to say all reading this now won’t see it either.
      The great thing is we have the 7000 now and all the new coin machines to hunt with. So us don’t worry about the rug rats that will come after us. Get out there and hunt and may those that come after us a hundred years from now earn what they find.
      Chuck
    • By MontAmmie
      Hi Ya'll and Happy Saturday!
      In anticipation of my Garrett Infinium being ordered (maybe), I decided to have a look at Google maps and see where I could go water hunt nearby.  As some of you may know, there are areas where it is illegal to detect in the water just south of my area, from about Sebastian inlet south to Ft Pierce.  I thought it might not be a bad idea to know exactly where these areas are, so that I could avoid getting into trouble.  So I googled this search to death and found that information about these lease areas is pretty scarce.  
      In my Google search I did find the Facebook page for Queen's Jewels Salvage Co, which leases the salvage rights from the state.  These salvage areas presumably include the wreck sites and a 3000 ft radius around each one, excluding the beach area from the low tide line up to the dunes.  So, law abiding citizen that I am, I pm'd whoever is in charge of the FB page and politely asked them what areas the leases cover and if Melbourne beach is ok to metal detect in the water.  Here is the answer I got:
      "It is illegal to detect anywhere in the water. A permit from the FLA Department of Historical Resources is required to search for any historical artifact. The only detecting permitted I. The State is on the beach."
      That didn't sound quite right to me.  I've seen lots of people in the water with detectors on the beaches all over the state and nobody was hauling them off in handcuffs.   So I asked nicely if it is ok to just search for modern jewelry and does this mean that the whole state is off limits to water detecting.  
      Well, apparently, it technically is.
      "Obviously that's not what you're looking for or you wouldn't have asked us. Do as you wish, I'm just telling you what the law says"
      Whoa there, Smeagol!  I wasn't trying to steal your One Ring from you!  
      So does this mean that all the guys detecting ankle-deep in the water at South Beach and Ft. Lauderdale are desperate fugitive criminals just waiting to be caught by the long arm of the law?  Apparently so.
      From MDHTalk website: "As for metal detecting in the water, all lands that are below the mean high water line are considered state sovereignty submerged lands and, while it is not against the law to possess a metal detector in the water, it IS against the law to disturb the bottom sediments. So, if something is detected, it would be illegal to dig for it. "
      Yeah, if it's fun, somebody, somewhere has probably passed a law making it illegal.

I'm beginning to wonder if detecting in the water here is a good idea.  Do any of you Florida guys do it and have you ever been harassed for it?  
      Thanks!
      Ammie

• By RKC
      G'day Steve,

I could not locate the booklet about the finding of the Hand of Faith by Kevin Hillier. Anyway I think its now been reasonably established what detector model The Hand was found with. After thinking about it while looking for the booklet, I am fairly sure that at the time the Hand of Faith was found in 1980, the Groundhog was not yet being sold in Australia. In 1980 the Garrett Deepseeker must have been the most commonly used detector by the serious electronic prospectors in Victoria. It was certainly the most expensive detector and thus the top of the range ... like the latest Minelab PIs are today. It was however a detector I never managed to master as it was extremely noisy in Australian soil. I used mine in the Nth Queensland goldfields of Georgetown and Ebagoola where there was quite a few other electronic prospectors at the same time using this model of Garrett detector. A couple of the other prospectors tried to school me in getting the best out of it, but I could not persist long enough. I was too young and impatient in those days to learn how to pick the noise of a good target out from all the ground noise. I sold it to another prospector in Ebagoola who had more patience than me and who had successfully used one before. He told me it was by far the best detector available ... but I was just happy to get rid of the noisy beast of a machine, and he got a bargain.

I got to thinking about Garrett detectors yesterday while looking for the booklet, and I was reminded about the famous story of how the Garrett Groundhog became popular on the Australian goldfields in the 1980s. There were a lot of guys detecting back then who had their wives with them in the bush, and many of the wives wanted a detector for themselves. Because the Deepseeker was so expensive, the husbands were reluctant to spend so much money on a detector that they thought would probably get little use. So a number bought their wives a Garret model which was the cheapest of the then Garrett range ... and that was the Groundhog. What they then found was that the wives were getting more gold than they were! Then the Deepseekers were put aside and the Groundhog became the detector of choice for a time. I was told at the time it was something to do with different frequencies of the two detectors, with the frequencies of the Groundhog better suited to the ground in Australia. But - maybe - it could have been because the Groundhog ran quieter. Then when Garrett started selling so many Groundhogs in Australia they rebadged the Groundhog and sold it as a detector specifically made for Australian conditions. I think it was called something like the A2B.

I had even less success with the detector I had prior to the Deepseeker, which was my first ever detector. In the late 1970s there was a guy based in Newcastle who imported Compass detectors and he was all over the media promoting them as the detector driving the then gold rush. So, as I knew nothing about detectors, I believed the hype and bought a Compass detector from a mining supply shop in Sydney (where I was then living). But, rather than starting off cautiously in a new field of endeavour and trying detecting in a gold field close to home, I decided to go all in. I bought a Toyota Land Cruiser and headed to the Queensland goldfields with my brand new shiny Compass detector. I drove straight through for two days from Sydney to the Nth Queensland goldfield of Georgetown. And on getting to Georgetown I headed to the caravan park. Then, the very first person I spoke to when I got out of my Landcruiser said straight away ... "That detector is useless here!" And I soon found out he was right. I was the only one there with a Compass detector, which I was ridiculed for. Everyone else was using Garrett's and it was galling to see them leave the caravan park each morning and come back in the evening with smiles on their faces. It must have been a bit later when I bought the Deepseeker. And when I bought the Deepseeker I thought I could not go wrong this time as it was the top of the line detector that everyone else was using, and I must have made a good buy.

Luckily I found that there were other means of gold getting to do in Nth Queensland other than using a detector. And a bit later I got into tin mining with a dredge, which I was successful at until the tin price crashed virtually overnight.

Regards,
      Rob (RKC)

Detecting in Georgetown, North Queensland, in the mid 1980's.

My Garrett Deepseeker MD in Nth Queensland ( I also had a much bigger coil!).

My mining camp at Ebagoola goldfield.

Another of my mining camps at Ebagoola.

A woman friend detecting with a Garrett MD on the Georgetown goldfield in the mid 1980's.

Abandoned miners hut, Ebagoola, North Queensland.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/502x734q50/835/koe0.jpg

Ebagoola, North Queensland

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/730x484q50/835/16q8r.jpg

Georgetown goldfield.
    • By Chris Ben
      Made it out for half a day yester to an old patch. My buddy dave let me borrow his big coil for the GPZ and i wanted to give it a shot. Good news, i scored 3 nuggets with it, bad newsI have a 9 in metal plate in my hip that sounds off every time i moved the coil to my right. Almost impossible to hold the coil far enough away to avoid the signal. Put heavy strain on my back trying to do that. So I switched coils and tried bumping up the sensitivity to 18 ground normal. I managed to get a couple more pieces. 4.6 gram total. Big was 2.2.
      I had found out my girlfriends brother is a closet prospector lol. He watches all thr shows but has never found any color. So i lent him my GMT and taught him my dig, rake, detect technique and he got 7 pieces for about a gram and a half. We werent getting cell service where we were and he didn't want his wife to worry, so we packed in early at 1:30. I text my girlfriend we were on our way. She asked why so early, and i told her Jason got sick. She text back with concern asking if was the heat? I replied "hes got a bad case of gold fever" lol in which she replied that i am a dork. I guess i am. 
      Chris
    • By LuckyLundy
      Sure, it's a little early in the season for more than just a morning hunt in the High Desert!  I loaded up my truck with my gear added 4 blocks of ice and a case of frozen water bottles in my big cooler.  Many asked me, how long are you staying, when my ice melts or I melt is my normal reply!  Rudy, is game for any weather, as I was at his age, but now I'm looking for a shade tree to get me thru the hot part of the day...no luck in this area for a tree!  Rudy,  met me early to start the hunt where we left off with his 8 plus dwt'er and run of nuggets.  The ground is perfect to hunt for the deep nuggets and Rudy had 5 dinks before we moved to another Patch for a change of scenery!  And hour there with Sun beating what brains we had left, we decided to swing some new ground with no luck there.  So, we headed back where we started the morning.  I popped two dinks and I seen Rudy starting to dig a big wide and deep hole.  He told me it has to be trash?  I walked over and I could tell by the dirt and his screaming machine that it wasn't trash even though I tried to talk him into filling the hole up and don't waste his energy!  He is much to seasoned for that line.  I walked over and got the monster pick from my RZR and we started busting the shale to the target!  Finally, out of the hole and into Rudy's hands was a handsome 5.70 dwt nugget at 20".  This type of hunting takes time and we bust a bunch of holes chasing Threshold variations for a fat deep nugget.  A couple more days later, I still had plenty of ice, but no gas left in my tank!  Of course we ran into Ms Peg and a new buddy Brian from Reno...everyone had gold in their pokes!  Until the next hunt
      LuckyLundy