Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

History Of Placer Mining In Nevada

klunker    1,230

I fully expect you to write a glorious addendum to that article by the end of this coming summer.

• Like 3

tvanwho    189

How did these dredging operations work exactly? I thought Nevada was all desert pretty much and no water for bucket line dredges?

Steve Herschbach    7,843

That Nevada has no water would be a misperception on your part Tom. I live in Reno and we have a beautiful river running through the middle of the town. The Manhattan dredge was a very large floating bucket line dredge. There is an excellent picture of it at http://yankee-nevadan.weebly.com/manhattan-nevada.html

http://www.kecnv.com/InterpretiveWorks/ManhattanGulchMarker.pdf

http://www.kecnv.com/InterpretiveWorks/DredgeFlipBook/files/mobile/index.html#1

• Like 1

Steve Herschbach    7,843

Updated original post to add production notes, summary, and improved graphic illustrating gold production. Links added to cited references.

Just a comment. I find these reports that talk about gold produced up to 1970 to be somewhat more realistic for my purposes than reports incorporating later production data. Most new reports include production from modern mining that goes after the type of gold I can't find with a gold pan and metal detector. These old reports focus more on the older, richer deposits that are of more interest to the individual prospector. They also tend to be written more for the layman - the new reports like to show off the college educations of the writers. That said, these older reports all cut off between 1960 and 1970 and do not include the latest data.

• Like 2

beatup    267

another good read.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By LuckyLundy
      Sure, it's a little early in the season for more than just a morning hunt in the High Desert!  I loaded up my truck with my gear added 4 blocks of ice and a case of frozen water bottles in my big cooler.  Many asked me, how long are you staying, when my ice melts or I melt is my normal reply!  Rudy, is game for any weather, as I was at his age, but now I'm looking for a shade tree to get me thru the hot part of the day...no luck in this area for a tree!  Rudy,  met me early to start the hunt where we left off with his 8 plus dwt'er and run of nuggets.  The ground is perfect to hunt for the deep nuggets and Rudy had 5 dinks before we moved to another Patch for a change of scenery!  And hour there with Sun beating what brains we had left, we decided to swing some new ground with no luck there.  So, we headed back where we started the morning.  I popped two dinks and I seen Rudy starting to dig a big wide and deep hole.  He told me it has to be trash?  I walked over and I could tell by the dirt and his screaming machine that it wasn't trash even though I tried to talk him into filling the hole up and don't waste his energy!  He is much to seasoned for that line.  I walked over and got the monster pick from my RZR and we started busting the shale to the target!  Finally, out of the hole and into Rudy's hands was a handsome 5.70 dwt nugget at 20".  This type of hunting takes time and we bust a bunch of holes chasing Threshold variations for a fat deep nugget.  A couple more days later, I still had plenty of ice, but no gas left in my tank!  Of course we ran into Ms Peg and a new buddy Brian from Reno...everyone had gold in their pokes!  Until the next hunt
      LuckyLundy

• By Jennifer
      1 hour ago I took a little video (frame capture below), a dry lightening storm came through and my how things can change in less than an hour.
      Yay... no more scrub, break out the GPZ-19 
      Sorry, couldn't resist.
      Jen 

• By Jennifer
      Ran into Winnemucca today for a grocery stockup and to get a second trailer tire patched (slow leak, blasted Jungo road).
      Noticed that Doc has diversified a bit...(grin)
      Jen

• By MontAmmie
      Hi Ya'll and Happy Saturday!
      In anticipation of my Garrett Infinium being ordered (maybe), I decided to have a look at Google maps and see where I could go water hunt nearby.  As some of you may know, there are areas where it is illegal to detect in the water just south of my area, from about Sebastian inlet south to Ft Pierce.  I thought it might not be a bad idea to know exactly where these areas are, so that I could avoid getting into trouble.  So I googled this search to death and found that information about these lease areas is pretty scarce.  
      In my Google search I did find the Facebook page for Queen's Jewels Salvage Co, which leases the salvage rights from the state.  These salvage areas presumably include the wreck sites and a 3000 ft radius around each one, excluding the beach area from the low tide line up to the dunes.  So, law abiding citizen that I am, I pm'd whoever is in charge of the FB page and politely asked them what areas the leases cover and if Melbourne beach is ok to metal detect in the water.  Here is the answer I got:
      "It is illegal to detect anywhere in the water. A permit from the FLA Department of Historical Resources is required to search for any historical artifact. The only detecting permitted I. The State is on the beach."
      That didn't sound quite right to me.  I've seen lots of people in the water with detectors on the beaches all over the state and nobody was hauling them off in handcuffs.   So I asked nicely if it is ok to just search for modern jewelry and does this mean that the whole state is off limits to water detecting.  
      Well, apparently, it technically is.
      "Obviously that's not what you're looking for or you wouldn't have asked us. Do as you wish, I'm just telling you what the law says"
      Whoa there, Smeagol!  I wasn't trying to steal your One Ring from you!  
      So does this mean that all the guys detecting ankle-deep in the water at South Beach and Ft. Lauderdale are desperate fugitive criminals just waiting to be caught by the long arm of the law?  Apparently so.
      From MDHTalk website: "As for metal detecting in the water, all lands that are below the mean high water line are considered state sovereignty submerged lands and, while it is not against the law to possess a metal detector in the water, it IS against the law to disturb the bottom sediments. So, if something is detected, it would be illegal to dig for it. "
      Yeah, if it's fun, somebody, somewhere has probably passed a law making it illegal.

I'm beginning to wonder if detecting in the water here is a good idea.  Do any of you Florida guys do it and have you ever been harassed for it?  
      Thanks!
      Ammie

• By Mxt Sniper
      Just got back from 4 days at southern end of Rye Patch, whew, its getting hard to make finds there anymore. This nugget was covered in stone to start with and only gold peeking out one side of it, after the acid bath it weighs .55 gm. Found at 8" deep with gpx4500 and Evo 14x9, love that coil. Even found a #9 birdshot with it one morning. Another guy with us got a 1.13 grammer at 8" with his GPZ7000. That was it for our group.

• By Aussieau
      Thought i would post what i came across today, not sure how common stuff like this is still set up in the US but over here in Australia it isnt that common anymore with many being broken down and sold off or bits and pieces stolen over the years.
      Its a Stirling 3 head Battery, used to pulverise ore releasing the gold , looks to have been reused in the 80s maybe even 90s as there is some fairly modern hoses etc connected but overall its a great piece of antique prospecting equipment....if it wasnt so bloody heavy i would have thrown it in the back of the truck and set it up at home :) hahhahaha