Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Herschbach

History Of Placer Mining In Nevada

5 posts in this topic

I fully expect you to write a glorious addendum to that article by the end of this coming summer.

3 people like this

How did these dredging operations work exactly? I thought Nevada was all desert pretty much and no water for bucket line dredges?

That Nevada has no water would be a misperception on your part Tom. I live in Reno and we have a beautiful river running through the middle of the town. The Manhattan dredge was a very large floating bucket line dredge. There is an excellent picture of it at http://yankee-nevadan.weebly.com/manhattan-nevada.html

http://www.kecnv.com/InterpretiveWorks/ManhattanGulchMarker.pdf

http://www.kecnv.com/InterpretiveWorks/DredgeFlipBook/files/mobile/index.html#1

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By DolanDave
      Got out Friday, and decided to use the good ol Boat Anchor 19 " coil on the ZED. After finding the Specimen Gold, and into it 2 hours, my Bungee broke, and I had to go to my backup bungee, and also switched back to the 14". I was using the High Yield Mode with the 19" coil, since the soils here are not to bad, and I seem to get a little more depth using the 19" with High Yield.
      Dave.

• By DolanDave
      Got a text yesterday from my buddy Chris, who said dude, get your , and lets get out there !!!! ( Well something like that , hehe !!! ) . I told him I can only hunt a half day, even though today was just a great day for a full day of hunting today, darn it !!!!  Ended up finding almost 10 grams today.. :) . The large piece was a little more than a foot down, and just made a break in the threshold, I kicked some dirt out of the way, and it made the nice mellow weewoo sound, and I was like . Some digging in the side of a wash a little more than a foot down, and got a .....  maybe a foot away I found another small nugget right on top of the ground, and found another small piece in another wash.
        I also brought home a new pet,  and the good ol U.S. deserts give them away for free, as you can see in the picture, he is enjoying his new home....  I have been bringing baby dinosaurs home in the backyard for years, but they never grow up  , they just make babies in my back yard and eat the spiders...
      Dave

• By Steve Herschbach
      Originally a silent film by the U.S. Smelting and Mining Co. from 1949, station KUAC of Fairbanks, Alaska added a sound track and narration to explain the process and history of mining gold in Alaska's rugged conditions.

• By Ashley100456
      What we have come across out in the bush on our golding travels ( well some of it anyway )  Enjoy & post up your relic pics
      Cheers
      Ashley

• By Rick Watkins
      Going to finally get a gold trip in last week of Oct, hopefully, i heard that area got some good rains recently,just wondering what you guys that have been near winnemucca think about bringing my drywasher ,is the ground still too damp. I heard they had 2 storms that dumped 1/2 of rain each one.
    • By kiwijw
      Quoted from EZMoney Bob's post on Talk On "Engineering Marvels Of The Comstock":
      "Something I just learned about engineering on the Comstock is that in 1890 or so a hydroelectric plant was installed at the 1650 foot level of the Chollar Mine.  It was powered by high pressure water piped from the surface to Pelton wheels at the 1650 foot level.  The electricity was delivered back to the surface where it powered a mill.  At the time of installation it was the world's longest electric power line with a length of over one mile.  There was some discussion today about whether the generation equipment is still down there at 1650 feet.  The conclusion was that it's a moot point because the water level in the mine is at about the 1300 foot level."
      Here is an interesting article & video footage of the remains of the Hydro plant & stamper battery set up that was built in 1886 in the most rugged & inhospitable place imaginable way up in the mountains in Bullendale, Skippers, New Zealand. Footage will also give you a glimpse of the type of country I get in to in my quest of detecting for gold. Enjoy.
        http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/skippers-area/bullendale-hydro-mine/
      And this shows a bit of interesting local gold history & the Bullendale power site. 
      JW