Aussies In The Bush

Been fascinated on how Aussie prospectors stay for extended periods in the bush?

What do you do for?

Water storage

Solar/ 12v batteries, inverters, Charging

Refridgerator 

Freezers

Food

Keeping cool

Truck setup

Clothing

Shelter

Keeping BEER COLD!

Protection from animals and bugs

Bathing and toilet

I love the fact that automobile makers offer you rigs that are setup to handle your enviroment .

• Like 1

I stopped dreaming about going detecting in Australia as it appears  Gld Hnd has it pretty well cleaned out. But I'm still interested in the replies to Scott's querry.      Except the toilet part.

• Like 1

Scott;

here are my observations from three trips to Oz. Almost everyone has solar and generators. Their refrigs and freezers are generally 12v.

They either camp near a fresh water supply or haul water in tanks or bottles. Solar showers or dipping water from the stream...or not.

depending on the crew, food can be very basic or the full spread...(see solar refrig and freezers)

Most serious gold hunting is done in the cooler parts of the year-fall and winter in WA or the NT.

Clothing must suit very cold nights and very warm days, sometimes rain and snow...

Toilets can be the ever popular hole in the ground or something more civilized...

Travelling the Outback is a great adventure...I loved it!

fred

• Like 1

It can be as good as you like it if you take the right Gear, I still carry the Same gear when I go off the Grid over here,

I have 3x 240v power Inverters 1x 1000/2500 watt - 1x 600/1500 watt and A 300watt one for small things,  

2 x 12v cool boxes and a 12 Freezer,  2x 100 solar Panel and A 1000 watt Generator with A built in 8 Amp battery charger

1 x 15" TV/DVD Player for when it Rains and At Night,lol

-50*c sleeping Bags Plus Extreme Cold Weather Gear, Plus 3 x Stanley Vacume Flasks 1x Large 1 x Normal and 1 For Food,

And A Small Micro wave Oven for those Lazy Moments For when My Belly Thinks My Throats Been Cut,

john

Presently on a mission (trust Gold Hound allows me to use this description of trip , which I feel is a accurate word to describe such), but once back to "civilization" will put together a few photos of my mobile camp, a fairly evolved but basic one man camp.

• Like 2

Is it too rough to tow a camper trailer back to most the places you hunt, or nearby? I don't have a good idea of what the terrain is like over there I guess.

Is it too rough to tow a camper trailer back to most the places you hunt, or nearby? I don't have a good idea of what the terrain is like over there I guess.

Once you get off the beaten track the Dirt Roads are corrugated and they will shake A Camper Apart unless it's made for off Road use, Normally I use to use A Toyota LandCruiser Troopy Because once you leave them Dirt Roads It's more Like The Rubicon Trail and then smooths out A Bit Like Yellow Stone. But you can wreck a set of Tyres In A Day if your not Careful.

It really depends on where your going. Western Australia needs more preparation & supplies than what you would need in most areas of the eastern states. Take note of most as there is still some harsh country about.

There are plenty of places you can tow a normal camper or caravan with a normal vehicle. There are others that need 4wd. There are places that have hot showers, toilets & powered sites close to goldfields & others that you will require to be prepared for I.e. you need to be self sufficient!

It's all about researching where you want to go & preparing accordingly.

• Like 1

corrugated is Australia for washboard roads...

millions of miles of them. At least that is how it seemed travelling from Western Australia to Ayres Rock...several hundred miles...no traffic...don't break down!

This part had just been graded

fred

post-77-0-14685000-1435436860_thumb.jpg

corrugated is Australia for washboard roads...

millions of miles of them. At least that is how it seemed travelling from Western Australia to Ayres Rock...several hundred miles...no traffic...don't break down!

This part had just been graded

fred

Geeze Fred, I don't think I've Been on one that Good,

I think the worst one I found was Heading for the Snowy Mountains, Lucky enough I had just Put Up rated and Raised springs For the Diesel Model of my Truck and HD Shocks, and BFG's MT's or I would never of made it,

I also Carry 2 winches and A Hi Lift Jack Too.

• Like 1