Garrett Metal Detectors For Prospecting?

I really appreciate Gerry’s willingness to say it like it is when he can. His previous post was absolutely brilliant.

In this case, the AT “Gold” name should have been changed to something else long ago (or never have been used in the first place) to AT PRO+ or something more realistic. I will totally admit to originally buying my AT Gold because it was supposed to be a gold prospecting detector. It was my first detector with more than one tone and a display. It never filled that niche for me very well mostly because of the mineralized areas I was using it in. It is an excellent all purpose waterproof detector and definitely underrated. If it had been called the AT Pro+ I wonder if it would have sold even better.........?

The fact is, and I mean fact (I see it every time I visit this and other forums especially) is that most Equinox nay sayers, Minelab haters and even some reluctant users have absolutely no idea how good the Equinox 800 and even the 600 are especially in moderate to high mineralization on any detectable targets in the ground.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

When the EQ-1000 comes out, maybe they'll price it right,...

Come on, Gerry.  Whose side are you on???

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Come on, Gerry.  Whose side are you on???

I like getting me hands on detectors I think I'll be able to sell.  Then my staff and I put them through the paces and see how they stack up with what we are currently using.  When the year of the EQ-1000 gets here and my guys/I test it, then we'll inform others of our findings.  The only issue now?  That year has not arrived yet.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 1:18 PM, jrbeatty said:

One of the Garrett Deepseekers better finds- with its discoverer:

be8eae366061ca7457cb352fd8327440.jpg

Kevin found that 1980. The million dollar nugget. I think most prospector dream of. I was sitting around the camp fire with a few full timer in Leonora 25 years later. Kevin turn-up and joined us. He got his $1,000,000 house on millionaire hill in Perth but here he was roughing it  out in the desert with his wife just to go detecting for enjoyment. At this stage he was using a ML detector. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

Kevin found that 1980. The million dollar nugget. I think most prospector dream of. I was sitting around the camp fire with a few full timer in Leonora 25 years later. Kevin turn-up and joined us. He got his $1,000,000 house on millionaire hill in Perth but here he was roughing it  out in the desert with his wife just to go detecting for enjoyment. At this stage he was using a ML detector. 

Geof: 

The late Kevin Hillier may have somehow successfully transcended that find, but I have always considered myself fortunate to have never found anything remotely resembling the size of the "Hand of Faith" 

That would probably ruin detecting forever for me. How the hell do you top that?

Ok! All right then! - I'll risk being ruined - - - :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

The EQ-800 can outperform it in so many ways it's a no brainer and at the same cost $900

Gerry, in your oppinion does the EQ-800 outperform the GM/5 inch on really small gold?

10 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Gerry, in your oppinion does the EQ-800 outperform the GM/5 inch on really small gold?

I'm going to say they are pretty close (closer than most folks realize), but here is where the EQ-800 shines over the Monster.  NOX ID's hot rocks better, can handle mineralized soils better, easily ID's gold better and I know before I dig if it's a 22 shell, 30-06 casing, beer can or coin. 

Plus, here are some other things the NOX does and you can not with the Monster-.  Complete detector is 100% waterproof, not the Monster. NOX is blue tooth wireless, not the 1000, the NOX is software downloadable (very big deal for most of us), but not the Monster.  NOX is a great water detector and I have found ounces of gold rings in salt water.  Monster will puke itself in a salt water (but it was never designed for it).  NOX has adjustable tone pitch to suite ones ears of the sounds they don't hear well.  Not the Monster.  NOX has adjustable recovery Speed to pull nuggets from many hot rocks and the Monster does not.  The NOX has fine tune Ground Balance capability, not the Monster.

I could go on, but feel you get the point why all 9 of my Field Staff own the EQ-800 for Nugget Hunter and sold their GM-1000's.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I'm going to say they are pretty close (closer than most folks realize), but here is where the EQ-800 shines over the Monster.  NOX ID's hot rocks better, can handle mineralized soils better, easily ID's gold better and I know before I dig if it's a 22 shell, 30-06 casing, beer can or coin. 

Plus, here are some other things the NOX does and you can not with the Monster-.  Complete detector is 100% waterproof, not the Monster. NOX is blue tooth wireless, not the 1000, the NOX is software downloadable (very big deal for most of us), but not the Monster.  NOX is a great water detector and I have found ounces of gold rings in salt water.  Monster will puke itself in a salt water (but it was never designed for it).  NOX has adjustable tone pitch to suite ones ears of the sounds they don't hear well.  Not the Monster.  NOX has adjustable recovery Speed to pull nuggets from many hot rocks and the Monster does not.  The NOX has fine tune Ground Balance capability, not the Monster.

I could go on, but feel you get the point why all 9 of my Field Staff own the EQ-800 for Nugget Hunter and sold their GM-1000's.

Thanks a lot, Gerry! That really makes a strong case. I have never used/owned the NOX but I will definitely consider adding it to my fleet. Amazing that there is only such a small price difference, as you have said before.

• Like 2