How Old Were You When You Started Metal Detecting?

I was 35 and while watching the   gold fever show I decided to join and I drove the 45 miles to the man who was head of the local chapter who happen to own Wilson 's metal detectors.I went home with a Bandito 2 U max and I was  hooked.I liked panning for gold too but it was easier to  go detecting because the good  spots were much closer.

17 years of age (1970, summer before senior year of high school) -- Heathkit GD-48.  But after 10 years of low activity I went AWOL for another 35 years and missed out on all the best USA detecting.  Water under the bridge; glad my sister relit the spark 6 years ago, and happy to say it's just as fun as it was in 1970.

I think I was 15-16 (78'-79'), and ordered a Bounty Hunter 840 from Kellyco! (Still have it!!) I used to ride my bike around with the detector in it's bag on the handlebars, to local schools and parks to hunt! I did fairly well on silvers, and never saw anyone else with a detector, when i was out!

That nearly got me killed once, as a car full of older kids in a Chevy POS, tried to grab it from me, as i was riding one day! I fell next to the car, and nearly got run over by the rear tire! The detector was fine, but me and the bike got some road rash! Needless to say, i looked for that car for weeks to exact some payback! But with my luck, that juvenile idea probably would have ended badly!🤣

Like GB, i missed out on a lot of good stuff, as i didn't start back till 2015!👍👍

20210216_151050.jpg

it was 1975, was 21 years old and listed my high school band Saxophone in the local Green Sheet. A guy called and asked if I'd be interested in trading for a metal Detector. He had brain cancer and couldn't get out to detect, and I always wanted a detector so I traded with him. It was a White's Gold Master with a Metal/Mineral knob, and used 14 batteries if I remember. Found 36 Mercury dimes in a three foot circle next to the driveway of my 1917 house. I was hooked!

For me I’d been out the AF less than a year so I was about 25-27 and the year was 65-67. The first detector was a kit and the next year I bought a Whites BFO. Too much water has ran under the bridge from that time. I just know come May I’ll be 80 and that’s older than dirt.

Chuck 

I was 16, 1972. I got a Compass 77b Pro.

This past year after I turned 24 I was given my grandfathers detectors ( a 800 and a Tracker IV ) when he died.

So I have not been detecting a full year yet, but I have panned for gold and sluiced for about 12 years.

In 1969 I was 18. I started with a Metrotech 220 A and never looked back.