Unexpected Water Find

Nice find, one of these days I think I will have to unearth one of those around some of the churches I hunt.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1

Someone lost there lucky coin 😄 In great shape too. Recent drop for sure.  Great find!

• Like 4

On 6/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Heck of a find for MB! I have to show my relic hunting friend who always complains about the beach there.. 

In 2016 I found a 1899 dime, high up in the dry sand just before turning the detector off as I was leaving the beach, about a block south of where this dollar was found. Both coins are in good condition, not black and crusty like I normally find with silver that has been in salt water for a while.

I don't know if the club down there does seeded beach hunts and left some in the sand or not ... not sure why old silver in good condition would be there ... but not complaining!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tvr said:

In 2016 I found a 1899 dime, high up in the dry sand just before turning the detector off as I was leaving the beach, about a block south of where this dollar was found. Both coins are in good condition, not black and crusty like I normally find with silver that has been in salt water for a while.

I don't know if the club down there does seeded beach hunts and left some in the sand or not ... not sure why old silver in good condition would be there ... but not complaining!

Years ago when I use to make the 2.5 hour trip to OC MD to find gold, two different trips I got silvers (2). Both were clean as if they were just dropped. Both after different storms... One was a 1963 Rosy and the other a very worn 192? Peace dollar. I got the peace dollar find on video. My theory is, the ruff surf tumbles them around so much it's like being in a tumbler. These were found on the lower part of the beach, but when Sandy hit there were coins in close that got pushed near the boardwalk. So any place is possible.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Years ago when I use to make the 2.5 hour trip to OC MD to find gold, two different trips I got silvers (2). Both were clean as if they were just dropped. Both after different storms... One was a 1963 Rosy and the other a very worn 192? Peace dollar. I got the peace dollar find on video. My theory is, the ruff surf tumbles them around so much it's like being in a tumbler. These were found on the lower part of the beach, but when Sandy hit there were coins in close that got pushed near the boardwalk. So any place is possible.

I could understand that with worn coins. I've found four or five mercury dimes in Atlantic City that were half the thickness of what they would be normally ... they were also kind of black. You very well could be right, yet I'm a little skeptical on that theory for old silver in very nice shape and not badly worn from a lot of tumbling in abrasives. I wonder what recovered sunken silver looks like after a century or more in the ocean from a ship wreck? ... I'll have to do some searches. Maybe if the coins were somewhat protected and then pushed up to shore by storm activity ... or sand pumping replenishment operations ... hmmm ... ???

Found many pictures and the ones of silver recovered from ship wrecks or the ocean floor look grey to black or generally badly tarnished and many encrusted. Here are two pictures that said they did not need releases or royalties to use.

SilverFrom1702ShipWreck.png

SpanishSilverFromOceanFloor.png

• Like 1