XP Deus 2 Starting To Ship To Customers?

HardPack

On 12/8/2021 at 2:02 PM, HardPack said:

Looking forward to your in depth review(s). 

I did those for twenty years, retired now, so will wait on yours first. What's to know really? It's going to be a nice detector, will work well, find things just fine, and anyone halfway good at what they are doing, will do just fine with one. It's not going to blow away existing machines, like go two inches deeper that an Equinox, or any other such silliness. VLF tech is maxed out, so pick your poison, go detecting, and have fun! :smile:

My reviews served a purpose as I did them back in the day on machines rarely reviewed by others, mostly gold prospecting machines. Now testing and reporting is an industry, and I’m not needed all that much anymore. I did put great care and detail into my reports, I think more than most, but that means I put a lot of work into them also. It really is a lot of work, and for what, a few pats on the back? And the inevitable accusations of shilling. That really takes the fun out of it fast. I guess at this point I’m just too lazy to make the effort, beyond just some casual commenting perhaps. 

• Like 8

I am going to wait awhile.......I don't need a supposed "Equinox Killer", but I do need lightweight gear. I also don't need the full Deus ll since I expect the Deus ll to still fit into the same niche as my Deus l Lite. So when there is a version with just the 9" coil (or an elliptical 9.5X5"), telescoping shaft and headphone control module, I may bite if the reviews show the Deus ll has substantially better target ID than Deus l, doesn't up average into the stratosphere like Deus l in mineralized ground and seems to be trouble free.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I think you have the situation backwards about who is dominating the market, and who needs to catch up. Yeah, over three years after Equinox, we are seeing competition. I'm sure Minelab has been asleep that entire time. Just a reminder, but Minelab brought us BBS multifrequency in 1991 with the Sovereign, advanced to FBS, then FBS2, and now fourth generation with Multi-IQ. I applaud XP and others for finally getting with the program, but frankly they are very, very late to this table.

And just because a machine is multifrequency proves nothing. If so White's would still be with us, but the fact is their implementations of multi never could match and supplant the Minelab lead. It's far from proven that these first generation offerings will do so either, though I do have a lot of faith in Alain and his team. I can't see them offering an also ran at the price they are asking, if it does not perform at least as well as a detector selling for half the price i.e Equinox 600. But I would hold the applause until the machine is out for about a year. Look how long it too so many folks to figure out Equinox actually was different, and I expect it will take some time for the dust to settle here also.

I do have enough faith in Alain though to have a Deus 2 on order for myself, so I'm not casting stones. I just want to keep expectations grounded in reality, as excessive expectations almost inevitably lead to disappointment. My absolute wish is that the Deus 2 turns out to be what we all hope for, and more.

For those interested in the history and details of this technology, see my article (soon to be updated with new models:smile:Selectable Frequency And Multiple Frequency

xp-deus-2-multi-frequency-waterproof-metal-detector.jpg

If you don't like the Deus II.. umm you can send it to me for a very subjective "extended evaluation period". Would give bi-weekly updates. Hey.. Just putting myself out there!!

• Haha 3

That’s unfortunate Steve. Many of us do not have hands on direct access to new metal detectors. It appears to me the current and up coming SMF detectors are designed & marketed on the side of park & beach as opposed to prospecting. I already have dedicated gold prospecting machines. I have no need to cover ground already covered by others familiar with attempting to adapt the DEUS, Equinox, etc to prospecting. The last time I was on a beach anywhere near a metal detector the tank ran over the thing. The only thing detected were discarded c-rat cans of ham & lima beans… and a few unopened boxes. 

2 hours ago, HardPack said:

That’s unfortunate Steve. Many of us do not have hands on direct access to new metal detectors. It appears to me the current and up coming SMF detectors are designed & marketed on the side of park & beach as opposed to prospecting. I already have dedicated gold prospecting machines. I have no need to cover ground already covered by others familiar with attempting to adapt the DEUS, Equinox, etc to prospecting. The last time I was on a beach anywhere near a metal detector the tank ran over the thing. The only thing detected were discarded c-rat cans of ham & lima beans… and a few unopened boxes. 

So what is it you want from the Deus 2? Gold prospecting was not likely to be it's number one use anyway, but it is coins, jewelry, and relics where it will see the most use. Sounds right up your alley.

It's winter here, if it showed up tomorrow it would be months before I even got around to using it much. There will be tons of reports out before I get around to it.

That’s close enough for now. If  the Deus II turns out to be a better gold machine than the Deus let us know.  
Oh, the “unopened boxes” turned out to be cases of Lucky Lager and Falstaf. Even though it was far older and experienced than any of us at the time we drank away after the tankers returned with to cool the beer with their fire extinguisher. If only we had had a functioning beach detector and your stewardship.