Jump to content

What Is The Percent Of Male To Female Metal Detectorists?


What is the percent of male and female metal detectorists?  

26 members have voted

  1. 1. Are you a male of female metal detectorist?



Recommended Posts

Recently, I have been trying to persuade my wife into coming out metal detecting with me. She has repeatedly told me that metal detecting is a man’s hobby, and that women don’t usually go out metal detecting. So here I am today to see what the percentage is to hopefully prove her wrong and get her to come with me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


You've been warned, don't open up that can of worms!!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TreasureHunter5 said:

Recently, I have been trying to persuade my wife into coming out metal detecting with me. She has repeatedly told me that metal detecting is a man’s hobby, and that women don’t usually go out metal detecting. So here I am today to see what the percentage is to hopefully prove her wrong and get her to come with me. 

Show her YouTube videos of all the different girls detecting

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Show her YouTube videos of all the different girls detecting

 

x2

Yes. There are a lot of videos about girls/women doing detecting. Hopefully that works out for you.🤞

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/21/2022 at 7:42 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

Show her YouTube videos of all the different girls detecting

 

Choose the right videos, though. Some are less about detecting and more about..."showing off" the star of the video.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I had to guess, I'd say for every 100 more-than-casual detectorists in the United States, about 10-15 are women or those who identify as the female gender.

A good proxy would be to watch the Garrett annual hunt videos. You'll notice that female detectorists are not rare.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In our metal detecting club in Topeka, Kansas, we have about 67 active club members and of those there are 16 that metal detect and contribute on the regular.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't expect this site to be representative of the distribution of male & female detectorists.  The local clubs (like Jason has mentioned) are a better proxy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/23/2022 at 7:35 PM, GB_Amateur said:

I wouldn't expect this site to be representative of the distribution of male & female detectorists.  The local clubs (like Jason has mentioned) are a better proxy.

I agree. It’s more a poll of forum membership, not reflective of what you see at clubs. These forums started with a gold prospecting, and that metal detecting niche does run heavily male. There are only a few gals out seriously chasing gold nuggets. As in I can count them on both hands.

My wife went detecting with me once, 30 years ago. That was the end of that. But she really likes me doing it, tells me not to come home without gold! :smile:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...