Indian In The Wheat And A Visit From The King

10 hours ago, kac said:

So there is a sign others detected there!

Think earlier Bucks had nickel silver and brass fittings. Still a descent freebie 🙂

Heh, more of a sign people did some kinda hunting here, but it probably wasn't relics. 😁 That would be more about how cleared out the field by the house is. Knife is definitely a keeper, may fill in the chunks taken out of it with JB Weld or something. Tough knife for getting run over by a combine and then a tiller. I'm shocked it isn't bent.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

When I first glanced at your pic of the knife, without reading the text first, I was thinking “he really uses a nice knife to dig with!”   Lol!

Congrats on the knife, big copper and wheaties!

Thanks NC! I've been hoping for a KG, there should be more, but they're probably easy to find even deep apparently. This one was up by the road, and down about 8-10".

I do have a digging knife but it's much heavier, I don't use it much, as there's no reason to here. 🙂

Here's a fun fact about the knife, it was made in 2001. Don't know how long it's been in the ground but it wasn't on top.

https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/how-old/

If you zoom the photo you can see the mark that corresponds to the chart.

It's old enough to drink. 😀

• Like 2

Nice knife, had one of those back in the 60's, lost it on my grandparents farm, wish I still had it ... Nice coins as well, Good hunt !!!!!!

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Here's a fun fact about the knife, it was made in 2001. Don't know how long it's been in the ground but it wasn't on top.

https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/how-old/

If you zoom the photo you can see the mark that corresponds to the chart.

It's old enough to drink. 😀

Well that explains how the knife got in the field, it's got drunk on it's birthday and passed out in the field!!

• Haha 3
  • Oh my! 1

12 hours ago, Dig It said:

Nice knife, had one of those back in the 60's, lost it on my grandparents farm, wish I still had it ... Nice coins as well, Good hunt !!!!!!

Sorry about that, it's sad to lose a favorite.

Even if I bought the Buck it wouldn't be my favorite, I much prefer this one that thankfully I didn't have to use in Operation Desert Storm, as they took a unit from another state although we were asked to do our wills. I did take it to the Middle East though, it was a riot coming back when they wanted us to go through metal detectors in Maine coming back 🤣 me and my M16, and this strapped to my web gear.

20220223_201024.thumb.jpg.1ced1d2f5a2b3a168490990681bd0896.jpg

John Ek Commando knife, aptly named "WAR" for warrior knife. It was made as a cheaper knife for troops in the 80s and early 90s. It was made in Richmond VA, but for a short time I worked in the original EK factory in CT where we found knife blanks from the 40s. Ek would only sell his handmade knives to soldiers, I have an original 1940s one that was ground short, it was a gift from a military collector in my unit. The 40's knives are very valuable now, this one may be as it was a very short production run.

11" double sided blade guaranteed to be able to cut through the side of a UH-1D helo. 🙂 I have shaved with it a couple of times in the field. 😎 Still as sharp as the day I got it.

I think Ka-Bar owns them now.

Ordered some black JB weld, I'm going to fill the chips in the Buck handle, wrap it with wax paper and then duct tape to form fit it, and then sand it and polish it up. That's really all it needs!

• Like 6

I'm sure it will give you good service whatever you do with it , except lose it......😮

Were the volunteer military greeters there when you came through ?

Bangah is a city but it ain't the big city . Up country where hunters are common AND a steady stream of returning troops.  Probably many thousand such items before your passage.

I was in a band up there 'bout that time.........

• Haha 1