Understanding Threshold

First off I have watched several youtube explanations of threshold. I think as a noob, I am missing something.  I just don’t really see the usefulness of more tones to listen to and process. Am I right in understanding a break in threshold is the same as an iron grunt?  Can someone who uses threshold explain the benefit?

A break in a threshold is just a break in a threshold. It can happen for numerous reasons, ferrous, non-ferrous, EMI, ground mineral…. all it really means is possibly something to investigate depending on the detector and the exact circumstances.

• Like 4

The latest detectors have reference and live thresholds.

Reference thresholds will go silent over a target with a target ID that is being discriminated out or rejected. For people that don't want to hear for example, a lot of iron grunt audio, rejecting the iron target IDs and turning up the reference threshold volume level will help to alert them to ferrous or mixed ferrous/non ferrous targets without a lot of audio racket.

Live thresholds can boost actual target signal intensity and audio volume especially on borderline targets that are close to giving really weak audio responses.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, AhNibblet said:

First off I have watched several youtube explanations of threshold. I think as a noob, I am missing something.

Second off>>

Not all thresholds are created equal. Not many machines work like a Sovereign GT.  

It will take some experimentation regardless of the machine! 

40 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Live thresholds can boost actual target signal intensity and audio volume especially on borderline targets

YET>>>there are new machines produced today that cannot do this. 

5 hours ago, midalake said:

Segundo apagado >>

No todos los umbrales son iguales. No muchas máquinas funcionan como un Sovereign GT.  

¡Tomará algo de experimentación independientemente de la máquina! 

Eleanor !!!.

My unicorn, I've been looking for this machine for a long time. I recently slipped that one in eBay Germany. And that the title was misspelled...

Brand new, it had two hunts, aggghhhh...

There is great demand for the Sovereign GT.

Logical...

Screenshot_2023-05-12-08-55-35-702_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Are live thresholds the same as the Manticore’s true thresholds for the prospecting audio theme?  (This topic can get complicated with machine differences and company terminology.)

On some new models, including the Manticore, you have a reference threshold. If you notch items out instead of using full tones, the threshold can go silent or “null” when passing over these rejected items. It tells you that you went over a rejected item, which could be a pull tab just as much as being a ferrous item. Just depends on the notch settings. If you note lots of nulling, it can indicate thick targets and therefore possible masking issues.

Again I’ll say, it’s very model specific what a threshold break means. But what I’ve described is common on new models with reference thresholds employing rejection rather than tones for target selection. I generally use full tones so for me it’s a non-issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AhNibblet said:

Are live thresholds the same as the Manticore’s true thresholds for the prospecting audio theme?  (This topic can get complicated with machine differences and company terminology.)

Some of Minelab's literature and videos on the Manticore refer to the threshold tone used in the gold prospecting search mode as a true or genuine threshold tone. They also claim it will boost sensitivity on very small targets. If the same is true when just using the Prospecting audio theme in other search modes, I have no clue.

I don't have a Manticore.

The same claim has been made by Minelab for the Equinox 800 and 900 when using the threshold tone in their Gold 1 and Gold 2 search modes. I have plenty of time on those two detectors but I can't definitively prove that using the "live" threshold tone in Gold 1 and Gold 2 really makes that much difference on really small target sensitivity. I do keep mine on 8 or so just in case it does help. The threshold tone in the Equinox 800 and 900 gold modes is definitely not a reference threshold however.

• Like 1